It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas: City Councilman Arrested for Opposing Red Light Cameras

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
My two cents, a city council is by its nature a council of elected officials. In charters of most city councils requirements are given as to how to pass new rules within the council. Never, in any given circumstance does a mayor have this right. This is a check and balance at the local level. Without digging through the rules adopted by this particular council, I cannot say whether or not this requirement was met, however I can absolutely say a mayor can not make these rulings without a vote from the council. If this requirement was not met Councilmen Ford's arrest was not only wrong, but a violation of numerous laws at the local level.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
This is purely speculation but just going off the way this article has been laid out, it would seem that the Mayor already has a beef with the councilman and I wouldn't doubt it is because he is not content w/ the status quo.

It seems to me that he is one who will speak out against such things instead of just keeping quiet like they all want him to. "Be a good lil boy Mr. Councilman. Don't rock the boat and we won't mess with you".

It's not like the councilman was just against the red light camera's being put up. He was being blunt and stating that the red light camera ticketing was a violation a person's right to due process. There are those who think that kind of talk doesn't fly and will do whatever it takes to keep people like that quiet. "Be a good lil boy Mr. Councilman. People's rights don't matter."

Look, we should all just be thankful that there are still politicians out there who refused to be pushed around by their corrupt peers. You can't expect someone like that to just sit there and obey their unreasonable rules.

Where would this world be without people willing to rock the boat and go against the grain?

The gov't has determined that people who speak out in favor of the constitution or carry a camera around a federal building can be considered a terrorist. Does that mean none of us should do such things to avoid being arrested? Sometimes you have to break an unreasonable rule or law to show how unreasonable it is.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
UPDATE: to Councilman Paul Ford.

Councilman Paul Ford turns himself in to Duncanville police
If chaos is at unprecedented levels, ita s just election time in Duncanville. District 3 Councilman Paul Ford surrendered to authorities earlier this evening on a charge of disruption of a public meeting, a Class B misdemeanor.
Read full story from Texas Gigs

www.topix.com...

Duncanville City Councilman Paul Ford hospitalized during council meeting
By Brian Allen of Best Southwest Citizen

www.pegasusnews.com...

Read some of the comments on the bottom of the page from the locals, it does not appear the Mayor and his bunch is well liked.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I just want to say that I just heard this guy on the radio and he confirmed that they do not use Roberts Rules of Order for their mettings. They used a modified version of the rules.

The more you know.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Mr. Ford appeared on the Alex Jones show today and explained how it all went down and how it was all planned. The others in the council chamber were told that Mr. Ford would not be knuckling under to threats that he'd better shut up, that he was going to be arrested and that they should all leave the chamber on a signal. Man, that's corruption at such a blatant level. Apparently, the public has developed such a fear of the bullying by that city council, that they don't even bother to attend anymore. And of course, that provides council the freedom to do their dirty work unopposed by anybody... except Mr. Ford.

He's one American we should all be proud of (and I'm not even an American).

[edit on 6-5-2009 by Albertarocks]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Albertarocks
Mr. Ford appeared on the Alex Jones show today and explained how it all went down and how it was all planned.

He gave a sanitized and inaccurate description. I've watched the video several times and listened to him describe is several times. What he describes is not what went down.

Mr. Ford *planned* this, it's obvious by the well planned speech he starts giving right when he's being arrested / moved out of the room. He was *warned* as to what would happen if he got off topic.

BTW, Mr. Ford also said on the AJ show that elections are coming up, the city suffers from low voter turn out and he's not sure if he'll get re-eleceted.

Think about it.

edit : BTW, the title of this thread should be, "city councilman arrested for violating meeting rules clearly set forth by mayor"

[edit on 9-5-2009 by autsse]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join