It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese civil servants ordered to smoke

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Chinese civil servants ordered to smoke

www.abc.net.au

Chinese state media says a county government in Hubei province has ordered its staff to smoke nearly a quarter of a million packets of locally made cigarettes to boost the economy.

The sale of 230,000 packets of Hubei-branded cigarettes is worth more than $800,000 and a member of the Gong'an cigarette market supervision team told the Global Times newspaper the new quota will boost the local economy via the cigarette tax.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Original article ahs been removed. Also check China's ultimatum: smoke or be fined

[edit on 4/5/09 by Shere Khaan]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
What an awesome move that only the government of China or a select few other totalitarian dictatorships could pull off! Not only are they helping to drive their economy and spending, but they also get to support local industry as well. Plus they are addressing the over population issue at the same time.

It's a win win!

www.abc.net.au

China's ultimatum: smoke or be fined

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/5/09 by Shere Khaan]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
That's one of the odd things in China - every city seems to have it's own (a) cigs and (b) beer. I'm partial to both, which is one of the reasons I like visiting.

It's an odd story, but as long as they're not forcing people to take up smoking, I can't see it as any different from a company telling their employees to buy their products, or for a city government telling their employees to support local businesses.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
There'll be a nice spin off benefit in a few decades when the smokers are dying of cancer and they need to spend $$$ to get 'cured' or at least attempt to, at the local hospitals!

For cigarette makers- win!
For population control proponents- win!
For the health care industry- win!
For the morgues- win!

win-win-win-win!

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
You assume that they will actually try and help those dying with lung cancer and not hasten their death or just put them in a home with palliative care till they kick the bucket.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
all the chinese guys at work smoke marlboro lights in a box and would flip out if told to change(seriously). but you know, its china and they can tell you what to smoke, what to worship etc. the olympics are over, back to business as usual

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This is brilliant! Do you guys think that here is any way to buy stock in that tobacco company? Or is it a commie state controlled op? Either way it's brilliant! Why can't we get some of these guys working on Wall Street?
I'm going to look into this.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I'm not able to access the original article. It says that the article has either been removed, had a name change or is temporarily unavailable. Is anyone else experiencing this?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I get the same but found a few more links with the story

Chinese Government Ordering Officials to Smoke

Chinese officials ordered to smoke more

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129

Thanks was just about to post some new links. I wonder why they removed the original article... maybe some pressure?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Any way I can get in on that deal? I'd love for the state to fund my nicotine habit. Maybe if obama sees China doing it, he'll think it's a wise move.

TA

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
wow, am i the only one here that thinks this is totally insane? ordering people to smoke?
i will never understand the chinese government.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
does this topic have anything to do with the thread last week about having nicotine in your system would help prevent the swine flu??

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Here you go ladies and Gentlemen the next up and coming super power the world is crying for at it's best.

Interesting.

new topics

top topics

join