It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

could you live in a commune?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Welcome aboard sweetie

now how do you fancy the Isle of Skye?
It's remote, it's gorgeous--well when the sun shines anyway!!
And you could make everyone some cool hippy clothes, I fancy cheesecloth and love beads.
I'm burnin patchouli oil as we speak. God that stuff stinks, I better open the bedroom window!
peace and love sister x

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
reply to post by uk today

Actually, I would have a really hard time caring for livestock and then having them killed. I couldn't do it. If we had goats and cows, it would have to be for milk only, I'm afraid.....you could all go fishing though, right?

See...the cracks are starting to show already....

Yay, something for me to do - i can fish, i have a rod and a pole - awesome.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MCoG1980

Welcome aboard as well babe.
So that's the fishin sorted, the veg sorted, the clothes sorted, the cooking sorted etc.
All this progress in a couple of hours

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
You might find this thread interesting

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not to burst your bubble, but be very careful who you set up home with. I moved out to the country with two friends just over a year ago. One of them turned out to be extremely deceitful and dishonest - I've been complaining about him all over this site.

Be particularly careful where money is concerned - neither a borrower nor a lender be - that ought to be everyone's motto.

Other than that, the country's a great place to be. I'd highly recommend it.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by berenike

Be particularly careful where money is concerned - neither a borrower nor a lender be - that ought to be everyone's motto.

Other than that, the country's a great place to be. I'd highly recommend it.

That was my grandads motto, something i wished i'd taken a little more heed of. Another one of his was 'a pound in your own pocket is worth 10 of anyone elses'.

I live in the country already, and love it, but still love the commune idea more though
Living in the country's great but you still cannot escape the system unless your self sufficient.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I have thought about doing just that before. Something about giving up all the material junk and living a "simple" life style in a commune type setting is intruiging to me.

I have actually considered trying to go search and find one. I havent but I have considered.

I have talked to a few old hippies that used to live in one back in the late 60's and early 70's. They all agreed that the "simple life" is not actually all that simple.

ALOT of work goes into maintaining a decent life with jus the bare neccesities. But I am still intrigued.

If one is ever set up anywhere close to me I may just go check it out.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

I have talked to a few old hippies that used to live in one back in the late 60's and early 70's. They all agreed that the "simple life" is not actually all that simple.

ALOT of work goes into maintaining a decent life with jus the bare neccesities.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

That is so true. We've got two wood burning stoves and coal is very expensive, so we go to the forest to collect wood.

In winter we have to collect nearly every day and now, in May, the house is still cold so we're still collecting.

It takes an amazing amount of wood to keep those stoves burning, but fortunately we're right on the edge of the forest.

Then the logs needs to be sawn or chopped up. We've got a chainsaw now, but we used to saw it by hand. That was tough going for me until I imagined it was a certain person's neck I was sawing through.....

I've never (physically) worked so hard in my life, but I seem to be a lot better for it.

I won't go into all the work required to maintain the garden and grow vegetables, but the results can be wonderful.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Anyone thought of a narrowboat, my brother and myself have just completed some work on a 65ft boat and it goes into the canal network this week.
You can travel over most of England and you dont have nearly as many worries as living in a house, ok, you still have to buy heating fuel but electricity is free via engine and solor panels.
We can't wait to cruise the british countryside and chill out under the stars.
my brother is going to live on it permenantly at the end of the year.
A commune sounds great as well. I could soon sort out a few rabbits and a pidgeon pie for you.

[edit on 5-5-2009 by jon1]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
reply to post by Ant4AU

Aha! Clever Ant...! I think there is something similar in the Uk actually. Will investigate tomorrow.

There is this place located right in Scotland, that was started in the 1960's.

www.seekeronline.org...

It started out like a commune, but has grown into more than that. The gardens are supposed to be amazing!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jon1

I love the idea of a narrowboat, it's something I've never even considered.
What bills do they hit you for? You mentioned free electric but what about council extortion tax and the like?
Plus a narrowboat would give some freedom which I like the idea of.
Only negative though is still being reliant on other people for food.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by uk today
reply to post by jon1

I love the idea of a narrowboat, it's something I've never even considered.
What bills do they hit you for? You mentioned free electric but what about council extortion tax and the like?
Plus a narrowboat would give some freedom which I like the idea of.
Only negative though is still being reliant on other people for food.

The only bills you will have is a waterways licence and marina fees.
It won't set you free from society like a commune will but you can live in comfort away from the daily rat race that we all seem to be surrounded by.
You will also be surrounded by nature and peace and quiet, thats the best part for me, just another step from getting off this hamster wheel of life that we are all stuck on.
Onother plus is that boaters are a real friendly bunch and will allways help out if the need arises.

cheers
jon

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
My professor in college had us try it with a group in Salt Lake City (behavioral Science Undergrad). The first week was fun and very cool with everyone filling a part of the community structure. After a week though, it became like a summer camp gone to long, I think people are inherently individual and feel oppressed the longer a group or person decides all choices in there lives. Thinking back on that experience I do not think I could do it again.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cliffjumper68

That's a really interesting aspect. It's kinda how I feel about it, although I would love to try it, I would definitely need lots of personal space, and I suspect the structure and organisation needed to cover all the bases would make it seem like running a small country at times, along with the risk of civil war and coup d'etat.....not fun!

If it worked, it would be wonderful.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Think of the children... Don't do it.

I grew up in a commune and I have to say that it has its definite disadvantages for kids. It can really mess up a life... basically it is communism on a very small scale and we know that communism on a large scale doesn't work so why would anyone think it would work on a small scale???

The best families are based on the standard monarchy style of government.

Go ahead and drop out of society but steer clear of communism...

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by clcreek

That's a really interesting perspective, and kinda what I feared. I think we all want to believe that we could make a commune work, but it must be incredibly hard. I suspect the dropping out thing will only work of we do it on our own, or in family groups who have the structure, or very similar, you are talking about. Perhaps the answer lies in community, rather than communism, so that we all retain our individuality, while supporting each other with tradable skills? More like a village than an extended family.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

I live in a hamlet which is smaller than a village. I must admit, people are friendlier and very willing to help one another. I grew up in an industrial port town, sadly there wasn't much of a community feel and alot of people lived/live in fear, locking their doors when they are in, never mind about when they are out - full of crime and i wanted to get out.

Where i live now, everyone waves, smiles and will do anything for each other - i was shocked when i first moved to the village next door to the hamlet where i live in now. I found people not only leaving their houses unlocked but their cars too. People look out for each other, thats the difference. Everyone knows everyone and will often do odd jobs for each other I get my car fixed by a mechanic round the corner who loves to help, he never wants much for and often refuses to take money from you. I was skint abit back and although it took him half a day to repair my car, he refused to take a penny from me.

It's a different world from the relatively small town where i grew up - yet no more than 20 miles apart.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
A non-starter for me from the moment the awful word 'church' was spoken!
Organised Religion!
The bane of mankind!
And isn't that how civilisation started in the first place, isolated communities of like minded people.
Unfortunately there comes a point where inter-action with other communities would be a necessity and then the circle starts again.

Theoretically it would be ideal.
True anarchy.
en.wikipedia.org...

Again, unfortunately only one big problem....someone eventually would want to exploit someone else either through pyhsical or intellectual superiority.
Or someone would be jealous of what you have and would seek to destroy you, in turn you would be forced to defend yourself.
Again, the circle starts again.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
i think its nice but i dont think its for me,i preffer living with my wife and kid

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stillalive
i think its nice but i dont think its for me,i preffer living with my wife and kid

No it sure would'nt be for many peoples liking.
Although livin in a commune would'nt seperate you in any way from your family.
You obviously like to keep a close family unit without havin other people around which is cool.
I just want to drop out from it all--call me a trippy hippy or whatever!!
Hope you're keepin ok babe x

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Oh wow! This is just the thing I've been looking for!

Hey uk today, I'm real new on here - but I've been into the whole commune thing for a LONG time! A friend pointed this site out as like aternativey-out there goings on, and thought I;d give it a whirl!

So have you given any more thought to the church do-up? I see it's a while back, but sounds like a blast!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join