It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

could you live in a commune?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I've been thinking for a while now that it would be great just to completely "drop out".
To move away from the materialistic to a more simplistic lifestyle.
My dream would be to buy and renovate a really old building in need of some serious TLC. Maybe an old church?
Then to become totally self- sufficient and live with other like- minded people.
I know it sounds a bit hippy and trippy but in these uncertain times it also seems very appealing.
No more rat race, no more modern living pressures. Just freedom to truly express myself, I love the idea in theory.
Am I just being naive? Any thoughts on this people?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by uk today

I actually think it's a great model, and very natural way to live. The only problem would be finding people you could form a cohesive group with that you could trust, in my opinion. There is a community here where I am that is run on these lines, and they integrate people with disabilities too, into family units and living spaces. The produce food, and their own meat too, to the highest standards. It's really quite cool. I would definitely be up for that if I could find the right people....skill sharing is the way to go.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by caitlinfae]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I love the idea of it, always have, but as caitlinfae points out, it's finding the right crowd of people to live amongst. Besides that....i'm sure they (TPTB) would still find a way to tax the ass of you

[edit on 4-5-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Hi babe

I just knew this would be right up your street girl !
Unfortunately most of the people I know are very much into all things materialistic. They think I'm crazy for wanting to give it all up.
I only know 2 people at the mo that would be interested in the idea.
It would be a real challenge and it may just remain what it is---a dream.
But it's a lovely dream and sometimes dreams do come true. x

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

It would be nice. But as said it would be hard to find the right people. Putting a group of people into a housing situations can bring up unneeded drama. If you could find the right people I think it would be a great thing. I would be up for it.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

It's really great to hear a positive response on this--shame you live in the USA or I would add you to my prospective drop-out list

I am obsessed with the 60s so doin something like this would be a dream come true.
I wonder though in reality, would it work?
It would take a lot of hard work and it would be totally dependent on the community working together and supporting each other.
But the rewards could be truly wonderful. x

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

It would take dedicated individuals but honestly believe it could work. Honestly it really couldn’t be no worse.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

We need a big chunk of land in the Highlands, where we could all build our own houses, and live in yurts...some of them are beautiful! There would be lots of land to farm, for veggies and to keep chickens, and horses, and goats....

As for skill sharing...I'm studying medical herbalism, my other half is a welder and can run a furnace for smelting, and pottery. We're both great cooks! What other skills do you all have? Any nurses or doctors? Builders? Carpenters?

Not that I've thought about this at all, you understand.....

[edit on 4-5-2009 by caitlinfae]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Well if I was on the right side of the pond you would have a carpenter here. But alas I am across the pond.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

So....move to Scotland and bring your dog!
:

Seriously though....what about location? I love where we are, but we've often though we might end up somewhere else eventually. Somewhere really safe. Like Switzerland, I guess!

My big fear is the coastal thing...even had dreams and premonitions about it, as have friends of mine. I want to be as far inland and as high up as possible.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Awwh, I would love this, but do you know if you have to pay taxes still though? You need money to pay the darn taxes

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

Your confidence in this is inspiring.
At times like this I wish I lived in the USA !
Plus you've got so much land there to be able to disappear off the radar.
Here in the UK we are overcrowded and property and land cost a small fortune. It's a horrible place to live.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MCoG1980

If we were practically self sufficient, and didn't earn outside money for anything, I guess there wouldn't be taxes to pay on anything. Property taxes, or council tax as it is in the UK, is only payable if you're employed. I hope I've got that right.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

We could say we were a church and then we wouldn't have to pay taxes, at least that's how it works in the US.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

Aha! Clever Ant...! I think there is something similar in the Uk actually. Will investigate tomorrow.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ant4AU

We could say we were a church and then we wouldn't have to pay taxes, at least that's how it works in the US.

If you guys join my commune it will be in a church and I can cook so I could be in charge of food.
I don't have to kill it though or gut anything?
Caitlin you could do that x

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

You want me to kill stuff and gut it?! Not a chance hunny....
. I have a hard time slaughtering carrots! I'm strictly veggie, and I try to be vegan, although sometimes I fail miserably at that.

Actually, I would have a really hard time caring for livestock and then having them killed. I couldn't do it. If we had goats and cows, it would have to be for milk only, I'm afraid.....you could all go fishing though, right?

See...the cracks are starting to show already....

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Ok hun, you could be in charge of the veggie garden.
We're gonna need some serious help here

Can you milk cows and goats girl?
Yep the cracks are appearing fast.
Mind sittin around by candlelight, singin old hippy songs with a long haired dude playin the guitar sounds fun. x

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

What no ATS are you out of your mind. Yep sorry ladies I'm out already. Not sure how well this would work out after all.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Veggies it is then...I'm happy with that. I seem to have a talent for getting the little devils to grow. My beans have sprouted in just 3 days.....

As for milking....not a clue, but I'll give it a go. I seriously wouldn't be able to cope with slaughtering livestock, even if someone else did it. It's something that's really important to me, so if I wanted to be serious about this, it would have to be free range meat only....hunted, or wild caught fish. Still don't like it, but I can't expect everyone to be a vegetarian, as much as I would love that. Anyway....loads of guys like to hunt.

Oh yeah...I can make candles too, and lipbalms, face creams, soap, aromatherapy blends...
And I'm a really good seamstress.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join