It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Reports First Severe Case of Swine Flu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
link

CALGARY - A young Alberta girl has been hospitalized with a serious case of H1N1 influenza A in what appears to be the first time a more severe infection from swine flu has appeared in Canada.

Alberta Health announced Monday an Edmonton girl is in stable condition in hospital after contracting the disease, although it is not clear where she picked it up since she wasn’t travelling.

Until now, all Canadian cases of the virus have been “mild” and have not required hospitalization.

“We have one young girl that was admitted to one of our hospitals with a more severe form of illness,” said Dr. Andre Corriveau, Alberta’s chief medical officer of health.

The girl, who has been in hospital for four days, “is doing well under care in the hospital.”

Site for Canadian Pandemic updates and travel advisories:
(good info)

Health Canada

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Well that's lovely.

Ohh well, it could be worse I guess.

Poor girl, I hope she recovers fairly quickly. Also where did she contract the thing if she wasn't traveling? She would have had to made contact with somebody who was already infected.

Meaning that some person out there in AB doesn't know they are infected, could possibly lead to spreading of the infection.

~Keeper

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Who cares?

According to 2005 death statistics found here.

In 2005, there was 2,448,017 deaths in the US, thats 6700 people TODAY.

652,000 people are going to die this year from heart disease, in just the US alone, thats 1786 people TODAY.

Main stream news coverage of heart disease, 0.00%

Main stream news coverage of swine flu, which has killed not even a fraction (world wide) of the people who will die TODAY from heart disease. %80.00

Amount of population who actually fear swine flu as a real threat to their safety... WOW LOOK 80%!?!?!

OMG KING IS MAGIC

How the hell am I the only one getting this on this forum.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by king9072]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Poor girl, I hope she recovers fairly quickly. Also where did she contract the thing if she wasn't traveling? She would have had to made contact with somebody who was already infected.

Meaning that some person out there in AB doesn't know they are infected, could possibly lead to spreading of the infection.

They won't reveal her history. Maybe it came from that guy who brought the flu back from mexico and infected all those alberta pigs?

I hope she recovers and doesn't become our first death.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

“We have one young girl that was admitted to one of our hospitals with a more severe form of illness,” said Dr. Andre Corriveau, Alberta’s chief medical officer of health.

Perhaps she already had a compromised immune system , leaving her more susceptible to serious infection.

“Right now we do know that some of the people who have died have been young and healthy. But we also know that some of the people who have died have also had other illnesses going along,” Dr. Keiji Fukuda of the WHO.

We`ll know soon enough , one way or the other no doubt.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The media is clarifying that this is not a more severe form of this swine flu, but only that the impact on the little girl was more severe than on people older than she.

In my opinion, it's extremely unprofessional for the media to use the term "severe case of swine flu" as it implies that the thing has mutated or something. Nothing could be further from the truth.

new topics

top topics

join