It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did the first people figure out that sex equals ....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It may have taken quite a long time before the cause and effect relationship was worked out and became common knowledge. Especially when, for much of human history, there was no language as we know it. makes passing on knowledge of abstract concepts rather difficult.

People want to have sex, and sex leads to babies, so as long as people have a sex drive, they're going to be having children. Nature doesn't care if you know or not.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SIEGE

I know this is off-topic, and I don't care [much]. Siege, your post is the funniest thing I've read in weeks. THANK YOU!

I think you've properly captured the integral workings of the homo erectus male mindset.

Gee, we've come SUCH a long ways from there. Right? RIGHT?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Uhm.... Females do not get pregnant until the begin having sex?

This clearly cannot be a Unnoticed Causal Relationship.

I would think that this would be fairly obvious.

Also... there is WAY too much Mysandry here in this thread.

-Edrick

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Edrick]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
That's easy. The ugly chick that always sat over in the corner alone never had children.

The promiscuous young lady from Buffalo was always pregnant.

It took a while, but they finally figured it out.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
alot of the answers here have been about something entirely different. i don't mean how did they know to have sex, i mean how did they figure out that having sex created children. and adam knew (had with sex with) his wife /and she begat (gave birth). that means by the time of the writing of the torah, they had already made the connection. even earlier, in the sumerian ENKI AND NINMAH, they had already made the connection. ... even had a midwife in the story.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Oh, the inanity!
and we deny what, a good man or woman getting their due because of a goofy entry into a blog?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Oh. You wanted an adam and eve answer.

I only know evolution/science answers.

Sorry. I guess mine wasn't what you were looking for, but I don't know the Bible enough to answer the right way.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
The Tree of Knowledge is an (Apple) Ipod vending machine.

Serpent gets Ipod video, hands it out to Eve and teaches her how to use it. She finds pr0n in it and found it pleasing to the eyes. She hands it to Adam and they watched pr0n together, that's how it started.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

we already are aware that science explains the natural part of having sex. but it isn't natural to KNOW that the end result of having sex is offspring, unless science has confirmed that we instinctively knew sex created offspring. but seems to me, being a mom and all, that humans only do a few things instinctively and the rest is learned. have they proven that we instinctively knew babies resulted from intercourse? i mean, the two things are separate.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
i also need to dispel any incorrect ideas that the sumerian texts were written by Sitchin, or that they can be tossed aside as not relevant to a discussion such as this and i'll tell ya why:

Their texts were written thousands of years ago by them not by sitchin. They already knew at that time, and said so in their texts, that babies come from sexual reproduction and/or genetic manipulation. The point of this thread is how did they know this? they knew to have sex, yes, but sex would be merely a recreational activity UNLESS, they were told or instinctively knew, that sex created babies. and that's my question.

straw man is ushered to the door and told to sit this one out.

[edit on 5-5-2009 by undo]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
how to understand questions

we did not discover it... Made to do it : ))

there was both a chicken and and the egg "that" the riddle

People should understand the question.

We live in a universe that was "created"...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
i think i once heard that we found this connection out surprisingly quite recently..

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by alienesque

how so? and i was just thinking about how when we're kids, our parents or some other kids in the know, tell us how babies are made. we don't instinctively know it and would be quite some time before we did if someone didn't tell us first. we'd have to arrive at that conclusion somehow.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I don't see anything biblical in us discovering this. The human species was reproducing long before the bible. Long before written language. I agree with some here that it's instinct that was bred into us many years ago. Our species was making babies even before we walked fully upright. Why do little boys get in trouble for watching the girls jump rope in their dresses? Why do boys get in trouble for trying to sneak peeks at girls in the buff when they get older? It's in our instincts, we for some reason are just fascinated by what girls have and have no idea why(or was I the only little boy getting in trouble?)

As to where or when we learned that sex created babies? I don't think anyone has the answer for that. The only guess I can make is that we watched other animals and saw what happened. The gestation period for a dog is far less than a human. We have had pets for ages. We've had to learn things by watching right? Just look at the doggy style position( I sure hope that's not a T&C violation but only example I could think of).

I don't know. Just throwing out ideas.

I really need to stop posting replies when I'm half asleep..feels like I'm just rambling and not making sense.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
i think dooper probably has it about right.

in small family based tribes and small dispersed populations it isn't always going to be the case where there's opportunity for everyone to have sex with a suitable partner all the time.

when people were having sex regularly they had babies regularly, when they didn't have sex regularly, they didn't have babies regularly.

couple that with the fact that there's an obvious link given that the baby comes out the same hole as it goes in, so to speak, and it's not exactly rocket science, or flint napping in this case, perhaps.

OP, i hope to god you're not trying to suggest that people couldn't have worked this out on their own.

[edit on 5/5/09 by pieman]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

OP, i hope to god you're not trying to suggest that people couldn't have worked this out on their own.

um, yeah, i think i'm suggesting people wouldn't have worked this out on their own.
why did you phrase it that way? should i hope to god you don't think about things i disapprove of? cause if so, i gotta get busy and worry about what you might be thinking. (hope it's interesting anyway)

[edit on 5-5-2009 by undo]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Maybe the original trial and error process that would of happened back in the day were the starting points for homosexuality in humans ??? Makes sense really....

No-one really would of known @ the time what went in what and where..... So maybe those 1st experiments into human sexuality spawned homo-erotic thoughts and acts between men and women to each other...

just a thought......

S&F

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
why did you phrase it that way? should i hope to god you don't think about things i disapprove of?

it's just phrasing, an expression of incredulity. it's quite a common expression in this part of the world, it's not meant to be taken literally.

um, yeah, i think i'm suggesting people wouldn't have worked this out on their own.

so do you believe god comes down and whispers in the ear of everybody who's ever put two and two together and come up with four? even by christian standards of philosophy that seems an incredible statement.

how could god give mankind freewill if he didn't give them the basic reasoning skills required to figure out where babies came from? if we needed god to tell us such basic truths then free will cannot exist because we don't have the tools to use it.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
just to clarify for the people who are freaking out over this question... it's a matter of anthropology. i asked the question in hopes of getting an answer and i think a few good ones have been presented between the off color remarks, straw men and generally negative comments. although i have a personal viewpoint that may differ from others, the question still is worth asking and so i did.

for the record:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
just to clarify for the people who are freaking out over this question... it's a matter of anthropology.

i can't understand how you can ask a question anthropologically if you believe, as you seem to suggest, in a biblical account of the origin of man/the world/the universe. anthropologically, it's all in the bible, surely. there is no need for speculation on the origin of man if it's all laid out.

surely the two are incompatible, if it's not to far off topic, would you mind explaining that little head scratcher.

also, if you have a view, i find it kind of rude that you solicit others views and don't state yours outright. what is it you believe?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join