It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Discovery Substantially Reduces Air Friction Drag.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
New Piezo Acoustic Discovery Substantially Reduces Aircraft Drag Friction.

Air resistance is a major source of drag resulting in energy consumption and fuel usage for aircraft and quadruples with doubling of speed.

As I was lying in bed ,instead of always having sex like everyone else, it occurred to me in a flash about this method of reducing air resistance.

In sexual terms it maybe construed as Piezo Acoustic Lubrication.

Wind tunnel tests conducted by me as a result of this inspiration by me on models fitted with piezo acoustic transducers on inside the hull and fed with various audio and ultrasonic frequencies showed dramatic decreases in air resistance of the model's air resistance as it flew through the air.

It seems that the micro vibration of the hull may make the hull more slippery or in some way the hull vibration amplitude pushes/compresses the air out of the way resulting in considerable reduction in drag varying from 20% to 60%.

Another mechanism may be some kind of resonance phenomenon which allows the aircraft to be more slippery through the air.The acoustic device may be distorting the hull by microscopic amounts could be another mechanism.

Or some kind of micro eddies/vortices might be responsible as has been shown in the small winglets attached to some planes.Another possible mechanism might be electrostatic charge build up due to the vibrations which repels the air or creates a micro air gap.

The piezo transducers are the same as used in toys or electrical devices to make beeping noises/sounds.They were glued solidly onto inside the hull near the front and at other points and then fed various frequencies and waveforms such as sine,square,triangle waveforms at different frequencies.

Piezo disc devices distort when a voltage is applied to the ceramic attached to the usually brass metal disc.If it solidly attached to a another surface then that surface will also distort.

The frequencies generated were from a bog standard laboratory square/sine/triangle waveform generator ranging from 0.1 Hz to 100 kilohertz.These were fed by wires attached to the transducers.

The application of this discovery to both commercial and military aircraft are profound in that the reduction in air resistance will boost speed and reduce fuel consumption and extend range as well as improve maneouverability.

As the frequency required to achieve the lower air resistance varied with wind speed a computer controlled system could easily be used but of course more research is needed in actual aircraft to derive the air resistance versus frequency graphs as well as location parameters which will vary with the shape of the aircraft.

This could also be applied to boats/ships but may cause noise pollution in the ocean disturbing ocean animals.Maybe it could be used in cars but might be too noisy.

I claim exclusive ownership of this discovery and I have submitted papers to my lawyer who has notarized this discovery.

Other people can do similar experiments to confirm this for themselves and report on their results.You can use model aircraft , etc. and bog standard lab equipment.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by esecallum]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I am not sure how a device simply used for musical instrument amplification(pickups) would do what you are saying it would do. Then again I am no expert. I also would wonder if over time as you create said amplified vibrations if it would eventually cause stress fractures in the aircraft skin...which would be devastating to say the least. Interesting theory...could you post a video of you experiments?

[edit on 5/4/2009 by CaptGizmo]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Too bad the Military already figured this out and discounted the idea because of stress fracture related issues with aircraft frames.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This has been known about by aerospace engineers for decades but was never put into full scale practice due to hull stress for one and a myriad of other complexities it brings to the table.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I am not sure how a device simply used for musical instrument amplification(pickups) would do what you are saying it would do. Then again I am no expert.

All things are vibration. So I might surmise that vibration can significantly change the interaction of the vibrating matter that it impacts with. That is how I think it works.

I also would wonder if over time as you create said amplified vibrations if it would eventually cause stress fractures in the aircraft skin...which would be devastating to say the least. Interesting theory...could you post a video of you experiments?

I thought of this, too. I figure it all depends on material and resonance with the selected vibrations.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I am not sure how a device simply used for musical instrument amplification(pickups) would do what you are saying it would do. Then again I am no expert.

All things are vibration. So I might surmise that vibration can significantly change the interaction of the vibrating matter that it impacts with. That is how I think it works.

I also would wonder if over time as you create said amplified vibrations if it would eventually cause stress fractures in the aircraft skin...which would be devastating to say the least. Interesting theory...could you post a video of you experiments?

I thought of this, too. I figure it all depends on material and resonance with the selected vibrations.

Here is a crude analogy. Now I am NOT saying is how this works but just a an illustration as a mode of action.

You have noticed if you put a juice mixer or any thing with a motor on a flat hard surface how the object will tend to have less friction and move and if the table is at a slight incline it will glide down the incline or just move away from its original position.

THIS THIS SAME OBJECT WHICH AS QUITE HEAVY suddenly seems to have less friction due to the motor inside it and lets it slide horizontally more easily.

A second example is a drill which will tend to slide across a hard surface when switched on.

This piezo acoustic transducer method seems related although the mechanism is not clear as to how it works.The possible modes are explained in the initial post.

Modern aircraft materiels are quite advanced and more flexible and may be amenable to using this to reduce drag and a huge saving in fuel which could add up worldwide to large amounts.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by esecallum

So clearly... Vibrations affect how matter interacts, eh? [smile]

Thanks for the analogy.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Good morning, everyone.

This thread has been duplicated Here.

Please post your comments there.

Closed.

top topics