It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Magazine: Israel Practiced Iran Strike over Gibraltar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
"Israel Practiced Iran Strike over Gibraltar"

Israel is "Ready to go right now" if the situation warrants. Although they are scheduled for ABM exercises with the U.S. later this year, a 'surgical strike' would obviate the need for any such preparation.

With Iran's June elections only a month away, will they wait, or go for it and seek Ahmadenijad's overthrow?

Unless the U.S. demands a "presence" in the vicinity during the operations.

Already, Israeli forces are readying their missile defense units ahead of the "joint training mission."

The French magazine L’Express today reports that Israeli jets practiced a long-distance strike against Iranian nuclear targets over Gibraltar. If accurate, the report means the Israelis rehearsed a strike some 2,600 miles from home — a distance sufficient to simulate a strike on Iranian territory.

The report in L’Express is the latest to suggest that the Israeli air force (IAF) has decided to be ready to launch a mission at a moment’s notice should Israel’s political leaders give the go-ahead.

Also today, the Jerusalem Post reveals that Israeli air force reservists who operate the Arrow and Patriot missile-defense systems have recently begun spending one day a week on duty to sharpen their skills, amid fears that in a conflict with Iran, dozens of long-range missiles would be fired at Israel.

media.nationalreview.com...

The original story in L'Express is here:
www.lexpress.fr...

With a new government in place, and clear lack of support from the Obama administration, is Israel ready to "go it alone" and move against Iran as soon as it is clear that Iran will not retreat from its commitment to move forward with its nuclear program?

Will Israel wait for Iran's June elections, or pre-empt them and any resultant nationalistic fervor supporting an Ahmadenijad victory?

Have they given up on Obama?

Related thread:
"Did Obama's secret talks give 'green light' to Iran/Syria/Hamas"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

jw

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Hey guys.
I've been looking on l'express website and found the original article :

www.lexpress.fr...

Assuming that an attack on Iran is "near" is a little too easy.
I remember seeing a documentary about the 1st Iraq War, and soldiers telling the reporter that they have been training in Desert-like conditions two YEARS before the war in Iraq.
I'm just saying that Israel will wait at least until Christmas before attacking Iran. But the first thing to do would be to make their "peaceful" satellite have a terrible accident using a laser or something.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Sadly, they have been training for quite some time. Exercises in India, 2,000 miles away, were concluded earlier in preparation for a "long distance" assault.

Where else would Israel attack, 2,000 miles away?

If it weren't for the coming Iranian elections, I'd be inclined to think they'd wait. Especially if they want Western/U.S. support.

But, Obama and Clinton have made it clear that Israel is not 1st among priorities. They've opened up talks, secretly at first, with Iran and Syria, the largest supporters of Hamas. And they've agreed to accept Palestinian refugees and support Gaza resettlement.
www.thenation.com...

www.whitehouse.gov...

Now that they've trained infantry, air force and ABM assets, what do they have to wait for.

The June elections will result in strong nationalistic feelings in Iran and renewed popularity for Ahmadenijad, who will feel emboldened to step up anti-Israel rhetoric, perhaps backing it with up with actions as well.

I think the fuse is lit.
jw

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Well, I do not see the USA's support of Israel truly waning, maybe in show, but that is it. We are theirs hook, line and sinker.

If Israel were to act it would most defiantly come in the form of a surgical strike. Don't forget:

1981: Israel bombs Baghdad nuclear reactor

The Israelis have bombed a French-built nuclear plant near Iraq's capital, Baghdad, saying they believed it was designed to make nuclear weapons to destroy Israel.

BBC Link

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Originally posted by MattMulder

Assuming that an attack on Iran is "near" is a little too easy.
I remember seeing a documentary about the 1st Iraq War, and soldiers telling the reporter that they have been training in Desert-like conditions two YEARS before the war in Iraq.

I don't think our military's training programs are any clue to what Israel's intentions are.

Our soldiers and sailors train in cold, heat, and urbanized situations. We need "situational readiness" to repond to threats in a variety of location, conditions and environments.

Israel's 'practice runs' at long-distance depolyment can only mean one target, Iran.

Why practice now, for an attack over 6 months in the future? Too many conditions can change over that time span to justify "tightening up" tactics today.

I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open to see what comes next in Israel and the Middle East/Persian Gulf to get a better idea.

jw
I'm just saying that Israel will wait at least until Christmas before attacking Iran. But the first thing to do would be to make their "peaceful" satellite have a terrible accident using a laser or something.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Same as with the Israeli airstrike on the Syrian reactor complex being built with North Korean assistance and technology. That was a surgical strike, too.

It wasn't even announced or confirmable until all the action was over and "the smoke had cleared," if it ever did.

We're still learning details about that operation.

jw

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Don't forget that Lebanon also has elections in June. Some commentators are suggesting that the [terrorist / freedom-fighter] (delete as appropriate) group Hezbollah could do quite well and may win enough seats to form a coalition.

No-one can predict the future, but if that happens it will dramatically alter the political landscape. Lebanon's current government is thought of as pro-Western and keeps a tight leash on Hezbolla's militant wing.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

Ahmadenijad, Hezbollah and Hamas all gaining power in June?

And Israel has everyone 'tuned-up.'

Obama and Clinton trying to distance themselves from or further isolate Israel by the day.

So, who thinks they'll just sit back and wait?

Wake me when the war is over.

jw

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

First of all i have to disagree with your conclusion that an "all out war" is inevitable firstly because you have not provided enough evidence to convince me , beyond reasonable doubt that Israel's actions are anything more than a training excercise.
And secondly it would attract unwanted attention to israel imagine the headlines " Israel attacks civilian reactor" "Israel the aggressor" if anything that would HELP Amidinajahd win the election because he would stand up to israel. Win or loose the "war" amidinajahd would become popular beyond his wildest dreams and be hailed as a hero throughout the region...so \sarcasm\ yeah i can DEFINATELY see the point of israel attacking now /sarcasm/

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Originally posted by rationaluser

First of all i have to disagree with your conclusion that an "all out war" is inevitable

I never said any such thing. Find the phrase "an 'all out war' is inevitable," and quote it -- you can't.

you have not provided enough evidence to convince me , beyond reasonable doubt that Israel's actions are anything more than a training excercise.

Until recently, Israel has never conducted air and surface battle exercises at the range necessary to strike Iran.

Obama and Clinton ( the only U.S. foreign policy stewards) are effectively abandoning Israel over the Palestinian homeland issue.

The U.S. military cede military responsibility to Iraq in June. Israel needs Iraqi airspace to reach Iran.

Both the Israeli President, Peres, and the P.M., Netanyahu, have been/are coming to Washington. Not to watch sports or have lunch. Unprecedented and out of protocol. (First, the 'good cop,' then the 'bad cop.') Obama is perceived as weak on foreign policy, everywhere.

The U.S. is moving its Aegis class anti-missile warships into the area.

Israeli anti-missile teams are conducting weekly training 'on-site' and awaiting imminent delivery from the U.S. of more advanced anti-ballistic-missile (ABM) hardware and systems.

Toss in mid-June elections in Iran and Lebanon (a Syrian puppet), guaranteeing emboldened Hamas and Hezbollah factions.

This may sound routine to you. It may not be "beyond reasonable doubt" to you.

The confluence of opportunity and preparedness are 99% of success in any venture.

I think it's just about time.

Secondly it would attract unwanted attention to israel imagine the headlines " Israel attacks civilian reactor" "Israel the aggressor" ... .

What did people say when "Israel attacks" the Korean/Syrian nuclear complex on the Euphrates? Did it stop Israel?

What did people say when "Israel attacks" with air and tank raids in Gaza? Did it stop Israel?

What did people say when "Israel attacks" the Iraqi 'Osirak' nuclear complex? Did it stop Israel?

All accomplished without notice to or assistance from the U. S., and without so much as a 'slap on the wrist' for any of them.

if anything that would HELP Amidinajahd win the election because he would stand up to israel

Ahmadinejad is going to win the election without Israel's help. He faces no real opposition, except from the former president, Mohammed Khatami, and they've shut down his websites and political operations.

Win or loose the "war" amidinajahd would become popular beyond his wildest dreams and be hailed as a hero throughout the region

It won't be a 'war' in the protracted battle sense, but a series of strikes; I doubt Israel would consider a ground-forces invasion. It will be over before the American public even knows it happened.

Neither Ahmadinejad nor the "Republican Guard" can "stand up to Israel."
They will have no warning and no time to respond at all. Ahmadinejad will be lucky to survive. And, so what if he does? He won't have a nuclear program or delivery capability, as he does now. Does Israel care what other Arab nations think? About anything?

" \sarcasm\" is no substitute for research, knowledge of history, and possession of a valid counter-argument.

deny ignorance

jw

[edit on 6-5-2009 by jdub297]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Yes that would be a valid counter argument...IF YOU PROVED YOUR POINT also it helps if you gave a date of the upcoming "surgical strikes" (it should be noted the previous quotation marks in my attempted rebuttal were actually ment to be scare quotes i should have been more clear) of course not setting a date gives you plenty of room to maneuver what about the war games in georgia (still in the middle east) are they a build up to a sinister plot to attack russia... NO they are just training excercises if you want my bet i think israel are getting this supposed new hardware to protect themselves from ...well lets see syria, egypt, iran, palestine, and HEZBOLLAH i actually think it's quite flattering israel decides to upgrade it's weapons systems it shows that the dum rocketts are getting through.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by rationaluser

I do not know anything about deadlines or schedules.

I left out of my post an additional factor, though.

Russia is about to start delivering elements of the advanced version of the S-300 missile to Tehran. This version of the S-300 has a range up to about 120 miles, and can intercept aircraft and missiles at altitudes up to 17 miles. It is one of the world's most effective all-altitude regional air defense systems, comparable to the U.S. Patriot system.

Supplying S-300s to Iran would change the military balance in the Middle East and the issue has been the subject of intense speculation and diplomatic wrangling for months.

Israel and the U.S. believe that Iran will deploy S-300 missiles to protect its nuclear facilities -- including the country's first atomic power plant, which is now being built by Russian contractors at Bushehr.

That would make a military strike on the Iranian facilities much more difficult.

Iran recently took delivery of 29 Russian-made Tor-M1 air defense missile systems, as well.

So, if you were Israel, considering the factors I set out above AND the fact that delay of even a few weeks will jeopardize an air raid and strengthen Iranian defenses, how long would you wait?

jw

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by rationaluser
... NO they are just training excercises if you want my bet i think israel are getting this supposed new hardware to protect themselves from ...well lets see syria, egypt, iran, palestine, and HEZBOLLAH ... .

Except, even the Iranians say the attack is imminent. Why would they move missiles to the Gulf of Hormuz?

"Report – Iran deploys missiles in Persian Gulf"

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards have begun deploying mobile launchers for surface-to-air and surface-to-sea missiles in the Strait of Hurmuz and other areas in the Gulf, it has been revealed.

An Iranian official, quoted anonymously in the Saudi daily Al-Watan, said Iranian forces deployed the missile bases following secret reports that the United States and Israel were working on a military strike against Iran’s nuclear facilities.
dprogram.net...

If Israel is 'only training,' then what is Iran doing?

jw

[edit on 13-5-2009 by jdub297]

new topics

top topics

join