It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The W.H.O., CDC Level 4 Virus. What They Are Not Telling You! Is This It? Connecting The Dots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
After several days of the media hype and then the almost deadening silence, I like so many others seem to be coming up with more questions than answers.

If this is only "a mild flu" Why are countries all over the world taking such drastic measures. Why are all the Heads of State acting so aggressively? Why are there 200 people holed up in a hotel in Hong Kong basically being held hostage? Why was Britain's first case of the new "H1N1 met with paramedics in Hazmat suits? Why are countries banning flights from Mexico? Why are CDC and the W.H.O. still not posting accurate numbers.

They are trying to avoid a MASS PANIC!! Even the mighty power's that be, are scared! There fear is not coming from loss of fortune or power, it is coming from their gut and they are thinking, 'God Help Us, What Have We Done?

Biosafety Level 4:

A Biosafety level is the level of the Biocontainment precautions required to isolate dangerous biological agents in an enclosed facility. The levels of containment range from the lowest Biosafety level 1 to the highest at level 4. In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have specified these levels.[1] In the European Union, the same Biosafety levels are defined in a directive.

History:

The first prototype Class III cabinet was fashioned in 1943 by Hubert Kaempf, then a U.S. Army soldier, under the direction of Dr. Arnold G. Wedum, Director (1944-69) of Industrial Health and Safety at the United States Army Biological Warfare Laboratories, Fort Detrick, Maryland. Kaempf had tired of his MP duties at Detrick and was able to transfer to the sheet metal department working with the contractor, the H.K. Ferguson Co.

*Samples of this Influenza missing from Fort Detrick*

Biosafety level 4

This level is required for work with dangerous and exotic agents that pose a high individual risk of aerosol-transmitted laboratory infections, agents which cause severe to fatal disease in humans for which vaccines or other treatments are not available, such as Bolivian and Argentine hemorrhagic fevers, Mar burg virus, Ebola virus, Lassa fever, Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever, and other various hemorrhagic diseases.

AND THIS.......

Study uncovers a lethal secret of 1918 influenza virus

MADISON -- In a study of non-human primates infected with the influenza virus that killed 50 million people in 1918, an international team of scientists has found a critical clue to how the virus killed so quickly and efficiently.

Writing this week (Jan. 18, 2007) in the journal Nature, a team led by University of Wisconsin-Madison virologist Yoshihiro Kawaoka reveals how the 1918 virus - modern history's most savage influenza strain - unleashes an immune response that destroys the lungs in a matter of days, leading to death.

The finding is important because it provides insight into how the virus that swept the world in the closing days of World War I was so efficiently deadly, claiming many of its victims people in the prime of life. The work suggests that it may be possible in future outbreaks of highly pathogenic flu to stem the tide of death through early intervention.

The study "proves the 1918 virus was indeed different from all of the other flu viruses we know of," says Kawaoka, a professor in the UW-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine and at the University of Tokyo.

The new study, conducted at the Public Health Agency of Canada's National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg, Manitoba, utilized the 1918 flu virus, which has been reconstructed by researchers using genes obtained from the tissues of victims of the great pandemic in a reverse genetics process that enables scientists to make fully functioning viruses.

By infecting monkeys with the virus, the team was able to show that the 1918 virus prompted a deadly respiratory infection that echoed historical accounts of how the disease claimed its victims.

Importantly, the new work shows that infection with the virus prompted an immune response that seems to derail the body's typical reaction to viral infection and instead unleashes an attack by the immune system on the lungs. As immune cells attack the respiratory system, the lungs fill with fluid and victims, in essence, drown. The mechanisms that contribute to the lethality of the virus were uncovered by University of Washington researchers using functional genomics, a technique in which researchers analyze the gene functions and interactions.

The same excessive immune reaction is characteristic of the deadly complications of H5N1 avian influenza, the strain of bird flu present in Asia and which has claimed nearly 150 human lives but has not yet shown a capacity to spread easily among people.

"What we see with the 1918 virus in infected monkeys is also what we see with H5N1 viruses," Kawaoka says, suggesting that the ability to modulate immune response may be a shared feature of the most virulent influenza viruses.
In the new study, conducted in a high-level biosafety laboratory (BSL 4) at the Public Health Agency of Canada's National Microbiology Laboratory, seven primates were infected with the reconstructed 1918 virus. Clinical signs of disease were apparent within 24 hours of infection and within eight days euthanasia was necessary. The rapid course of the disease mirrors how quickly the disease ran its course in its human victims in 1918.

Upon infection, the virus grew rapidly in the infected animals, suggesting the agent somehow sets the stage for virulent infection: "Somehow, early in infection, this virus does something to the host that allows it to grow really well," says Kawaoka. "But we don't know what that is."

link[news.bio-medicine.org...]

link[en.wikipedia.org...]

cont.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Yes, I dont like this one bit...
Even that there are no Official swine flu cases in Norway yet, I see people all the time with caugh and runny noses, there is ofcource the pollon(?) season, but I have noticed this trend since before Xmas atleast..

The one Case here in Norway was negative, even so, I have an small tiny feeling that it will come in a few days as this flu virus is supposed to have an 7 - 11 days incubation(?) period..

One can only wait and see, the Health minister here in Norway sayd yesterday that we must axpect the Swine flu here also ..

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Yesterday, while trying to make sense of so much information and misinformation, I recalled something that I had long forgotten.

Several years ago I read a book by Richard Preston called "The Demon In The Freezer" This is a must read, especially now when we don't know what in the hell is going on. However, let me warn you, it is a terrifying read; and it is a TRUE story.

Here is an overview:

"The bard of biological weapons captures the drama of the front lines."
–Richard Danzig, former secretary of the navy

The first major bioterror event in the United States — the anthrax attacks in October 2001--was a clarion call for scientists who work with "hot" agents to find ways of protecting civilian populations against biological weapons. In The Demon in the Freezer, his first nonfiction book since The Hot Zone, a #1 New York Times bestseller, Richard Preston takes us into the heart of USAMRIID, the United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick, Maryland, once the headquarters of the U.S. biological weapons program and now the epicenter of national biodefense.

Peter Jahrling, the top scientist at USAMRIID, a wry virologist who cut his teeth on Ebola, one of the world's most lethal emerging viruses, has ORCON security clearance that gives him access to top-secret information on bioweapons. His most urgent priority is to develop a drug that will take on smallpox – and win. Eradicated from the planet in 1979 in one of the great triumphs of modern science, the smallpox virus now resides, officially, in only two high-security freezers—one at the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta and in Siberia, at a Russian virology institute called Vector. But the demon in the freezer has been set loose. It is almost certain that illegal stocks are in the possession of hostile states, including Iraq and North Korea. "The bard of biological weapons captures the drama of the front lines."
–Richard Danzig, former secretary of the navy

The first major bioterror event in the United States — the anthrax attacks in October 2001--was a clarion call for scientists who work with "hot" agents to find ways of protecting civilian populations against biological weapons. In The Demon in the Freezer, his first nonfiction book since The Hot Zone, a #1 New York Times bestseller, Richard Preston takes us into the heart of USAMRIID, the United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick, Maryland, once the headquarters of the U.S. biological weapons program and now the epicenter of national biodefense.

Peter Jahrling, the top scientist at USAMRIID, a wry virologist who cut his teeth on Ebola, one of the world's most lethal emerging viruses, has ORCON security clearance that gives him access to top-secret information on bioweapons. His most urgent priority is to develop a drug that will take on smallpox – and win. Eradicated from the planet in 1979 in one of the great triumphs of modern science, the smallpox virus now resides, officially, in only two high-security freezers—one at the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta and in Siberia, at a Russian virology institute called Vector. But the demon in the freezer has been set loose. It is almost certain that illegal stocks are in the possession of hostile states, including Iraq and North Korea. Jahrling is haunted by the thought that biologists in secret labs are using the techniques of genetic engineering to create a new superpox virus – a smallpox that is resistant to all vaccines.

Now substitute smallpox for Avian Influenza or H5N1 which has mutated and
the most virulent virus we have ever seen, and you will have, that which the W.H.O. and CDC fear the most.

Take a look at the last sentence.

Jahrling is haunted by the thought that biologists in secret labs are using the techniques of genetic engineering to create a new superpox virus – a smallpox that is resistant to all vaccines.

Are we living this scenario told 8 years ago? Take notice of USAMRIID!
Does anyone really believe this virus not to be man made? What do we have right now? A virus that is highly contagious, is airborne, lethal(to some)
and mutates so rapidly there is no vaccine and won't be for months.

link:[www.richardpreston.net...]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Theyre just going to say its hype, until it shows up at their front door. I myself have friends with their heads in buckets and their rears on bed pans 'at the same time'. My friend had to have 5 ivs she was so dehydrated. China will not play with this and Ive stated that from the begining. Everything Ive said is coming true. People, even here, will not listen to you because it is not convenient for them to believe you. It interferes with their everyday human mating rituals. You can forget saving them. Just say your peace I guess, I understand and already knew everything you are saying. Youre on the right track.

China understands what this is and China will not let this get close to its population or its birds. They know they are fighting for their lives. Id also suspect Chinas going to be a bit ticked off when they find out this was from a lab. Also 200 isolated? I thought they rounded up 400+?

edit edit edit, god I cant type tonight.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Memysabu]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Speaking of man-made influenza ...

R esearchers unlock secrets of 1918 flu pandemic

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Researchers have found out what made the 1918 flu pandemic so deadly -- a group of three genes that lets the virus invade the lungs and cause pneumonia.

They mixed samples of the 1918 influenza strain with modern seasonal flu viruses to find the three genes and said their study might help in the development of new flu drugs.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
From a sitting-on-the-fence perspective, it could simply be all this serious response is merely extreme caution in the face of a brand new virus which has hallmarks of the beginnings of the 1918 pandemic. They simply don't know enough yet about what to expect so are taking extreme safety measures. Their dramatic response could be for these reasons just as easily as they could be down to some hidden knowledge of this virus they are not openly sharing as yet.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
So many cases / suspected cases yet such a small death toll. Also, have there been any deaths outside of the Mexican / Latino community yet? Not from what I have seen so far.

So many other things going on as well that are being pushed out of the headlines in favour of the swine flu hype and hysteria,

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I don't see why the hell it is so hard to compare this to the 1918 Flu crisis. I mean what was the average person saying back then? Were people reacting the same way? How do they theorize it started? Where did it start? How did it spread? Everyone is saying that it started out mild and then came back with a vengence. One of things we all know about humanity is we NEVER learn from our past. I don't trust ANYTHING the media and our government is saying.

I was yapping to people years ago about the coming economic collapse. Everyone thought I "hate America" and am a paranoid conspiracy theorist. Well look at our country today and where it's going. CNN said the economy is soon to recover this summer. LMAO! Yeah right! I have a feeling this flu thing is NOT going away. We will let our guard down and it will come back to bite us in the arse.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
Theyre just going to say its hype, until it shows up at their front door. I myself have friends with their heads in buckets and their rears on bed pans 'at the same time'. My friend had to have 5 ivs she was so dehydrated. China will not play with this and Ive stated that from the begining. Everything Ive said is coming true. People, even here, will not listen to you because it is not convenient for them to believe you. It interferes with their everyday human mating rituals. You can forget saving them. Just say your peace I guess, I understand and already knew everything you are saying. Youre on the right track.

China understands what this is and China will not let this get close to its population or its birds. They know they are fighting for their lives. Id also suspect Chinas going to be a bit ticked off when they find out this was from a lab. Also 200 isolated? I thought they rounded up 400+?

edit edit edit, god I cant type tonight.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Memysabu]

If I could star this a million times i would..I suggest everyone re-read this..This is the absolute bottom line......If you dont beieve it,well may god help you when it is too late...

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
S & F, great post OP.

Man, this H1N1 flu is getting out of hand. On both sides of the spectrum. When leaving work tonight, I saw an article on the front page of my local newspaper that read " CDC claims Swine Flu isn't as serious/devastating as previously thought" I was tired so I didn't read the article but I probably will later. I still don't know what to think. Is this whole flu being over exaggerated? or are we in for an unstoppable pandemic that may mimic the story of "The Stand" by Steven King?

One thing that never hurts to do is: BE PREPARED. Just because you are prepared, doesn't necessarily mean you are paranoid. I've checked all the drug stores in my area for medicinal masks, just out of curiosity, and they are ALL SOLD OUT. They were sold out a week ago. Really, the only thing to do is prepare, wait, and see what happens. How can we truly know what is fact and what's fiction?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Just a thought.... Truthfully, I do not know whom to believe. I do not entirely trust the governing authorities. Is this truely something to be worried about?

No, live, laugh, and love. Be smart and wash your hands. Cover your mouth when you cough and sneeze. Stay away from others who are sneezing and coughing and I think you should be fine. I cannot and will not live my life in a state of paranoia. I would not advise others to do the same. Stay informed and practice using your brains.

Yes, the flu is bad and certain strains are deadlier than others. But, we also have to consider the possability of this. Maybe this is a practice run. What better way to lull America and other great countries into marshall law than fear of biological disease. Or maybe this is a big scam created by the corperate medicine companies? (I do not remember which Mission Impossable had this for the plot)

I am getting ready to travel internationally for vacation and I cannot find travel size hand sanitizers! All Wal-marts, and grocery stores I have been to are sold out. They say people are buying them by the truck loads. Can't blame em though. This is smart. Wish people would practice good hygene more often rather then because of flu fears. Hopefully I will find some before I leave in 3 weeks.

I will begin wearing a face mask when at least 30% in the city is confirmed sick with this swine flu. Dunno if the threat is as hyped up as media makes it out and frankly I cannot stop my life on account of this. Be smart and wash your hands!

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Thanks, for the replies so far. Yeah, the piece of info that really struck me was the research done on the 1918 strain and what happened to the primates. In the early breaking news of this new flu, reports were coming from doctors,
in Mexico that spoke about the method in which death ensued. The way these people died was exactly the same way these monkeys died.

Basically, after infection, your immune system kicks into action. This is O.K. until, suddenly your immune system begins to over react and you begin a process called a Cytokine Storm. Eventually your lungs fill with fluid and you drown.

When the virus first broke in Mexico I didn't realize just how lethal it was. Hearing about the pandemic of 1918 which caused anywhere from around 4o-50 million deaths ,I still wasn't that worried. It was upon reading that research article that shook me to the core. Since then the virus has mutated to a less lethal form; but notice the article says the monkeys had to be euthanized by the 8th day? Why? SCARY STUFF!!

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllinTheMind89
S & F, great post OP.

Man, this H1N1 flu is getting out of hand. On both sides of the spectrum. When leaving work tonight, I saw an article on the front page of my local newspaper that read " CDC claims Swine Flu isn't as serious/devastating as previously thought" I was tired so I didn't read the article but I probably will later. I still don't know what to think. Is this whole flu being over exaggerated? or are we in for an unstoppable pandemic that may mimic the story of "The Stand" by Steven King?

One thing that never hurts to do is: BE PREPARED. Just because you are prepared, doesn't necessarily mean you are paranoid. I've checked all the drug stores in my area for medicinal masks, just out of curiosity, and they are ALL SOLD OUT. They were sold out a week ago. Really, the only thing to do is prepare, wait, and see what happens. How can we truly know what is fact and what's fiction?

Thank you, I know exactly what you mean about not knowing what to believe. But we all know at sometime in the near future, some situation is going to arise, where we need to be prepared why not sooner than later?

"The Stand" is one of my all time favorite books. But if you think that is a ride, you need to read "Hot Zone" and "Demon in the freezer" both by Preston. Both true stories. "HOt" is about the Ebola virus, and "Demon" about Smallpox! Scary as Hell!! Great reads!!

Bought my masks at Home Depot, and I know Lowe's carries them as well.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I posted this elsewhere and found this information related to the premise of the thread, which i found to be very interesting btw:

Until Monday morning, the WHO had a definition on its Web site saying that a pandemic flu causes "enormous numbers of deaths and illness." After a CNN reporter pointed this out, WHO spokeswoman Natalie Boudou called back to say the definition was in error and had been pulled from the WHO Web site.

"It was a mistake, and we apologize for the confusion," she said. "(That definition) was put up a while ago and paints a rather bleak picture and could be very scary."

Just another blunder of the PTB OR not???

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
What the article dosen't say is that they did something to that virus to make it more deadly than in 1918.

In 1918 only 1 in 3 people were infected, and 3 of 100 infected died.

The article suggests a 100% severe infection rate leading to death in a test group of only 7 monkeys. With seven monkeys, you would not expect any to become severely ill.

If that engineered virus were loose there would very few humans left on this planet.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Cyberbian]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian
What the article dosen't say is that they did something to that virus to make it more deadly than in 1918.

In 1918 only 1 in 3 people were infected, and 3 of 100 infected died.

The article suggests a 100% severe infection rate leading to death in a test group of only 7 monkeys. With seven monkeys, you would not expect any to become severely ill.

If that engineered virus were loose there would very few humans left on this planet.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Cyberbian]

Hi Cyberian,

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying because in the article they don't speak of manipulating the virus in anyway and it doesn't add up, that the monkeys would all be dead when the 1918 flu wasn't that bad?

I questioned that too, until I read exactly what made the 1918 influenza so deadly. It is not pretty, but here it is anyway.

The 1918 flu pandemic, commonly referred to as the Spanish flu, was a category 5 influenza pandemic caused by an unusually severe and deadly Influenza A virus strain of subtype H1N1. Many of its victims were healthy young adults, in contrast to most influenza outbreaks which predominantly affect juvenile, elderly, or otherwise weakened patients.
The difference between the influenza mortality age-distributions of the 1918 epidemic and normal epidemics. Deaths per 100,000 persons in each age group, United States, for the inter pandemic years 1911–1917 (dashed line) and the pandemic year 1918 (solid line).[28]

The Spanish flu pandemic lasted from 1918 to 1919, although Price-Smith's data suggest it may have begun in Austria in the Spring of 1917.[29] Older estimates say it killed 40–50 million people[30] while current estimates say 50 million to 100 million people worldwide were killed.[31] This pandemic has been described as "the greatest medical holocaust in history" and may have killed as many people as the Black Death [32], although the Black Death is estimated to have killed over a fifth of the world's population at the time [33], a significantly higher proportion. This huge death toll was caused by an extremely high infection rate of up to 50% and the extreme severity of the symptoms, suspected to be caused by cytokine storms.[30] Indeed, symptoms in 1918 were so unusual that initially influenza was misdiagnosed as dengue, cholera, or typhoid. One observer wrote, "One of the most striking of the complications was hemorrhage from mucous membranes, especially from the nose, stomach, and intestine. Bleeding from the ears and petechial l hemorrhages in the skin also occurred."[31] The majority of deaths were from bacterial pneumonia, a secondary infection caused by influenza, but the virus also killed people directly, causing massive hemorrhages and edema in the lung.[28]

The Spanish flu pandemic was truly global, spreading even to the Arctic and remote Pacific islands. The unusually severe disease killed between 2 and 20% of those infected, as opposed to the more usual flu epidemic mortality rate of 0.1%.[31][28] Another unusual feature of this pandemic was that it mostly killed young adults, with 99% of pandemic influenza deaths occurring in people under 65, and more than half in young adults 20 to 40 years old.[34] This is unusual since influenza is normally most deadly to the very young (under age 2) and the very old (over age 70). The total mortality of the 1918–1919 pandemic is not known, but it is estimated that up to 1% of the world's population was killed. As many as 25 million may have been killed in the first 25 weeks; in contrast, HIV/AIDS has killed 25 million in its first 25 years.[31]

linkk[en.wikipedia.org...]

[edit on 4-5-2009 by paxnatus]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Nice Thread.......and as one member said "many will just turn their head in disbelief........."

The research you have done is very correct.........The only thing I would like to add to your thread is information about the expedition to Alaska in how they unearthed the Spanish flu and why. Whalers who died in 1918 where frozen in the perma frost where infected with the Spanish Flu. I have read many articles and even on the CDC website an article from 2005 which was released to the media informs the public of how they have been able to reconstruct the Spanish flu that will help the CDC be prepared for such a pandemic in the future.......

I will have to go look for these articles so I will not be able to post them tonight on this post..........but these topics are found in a google search.

I have been following the H5N1 for sometime. Does everyone remember all the birds dying in the U.S. last summer and fall? Pelicans on the west coast, birds in Washington DC, Birds in NJ, Birds in NC......and many other reports.....fluke?? Not to mention of reports of birds dying around the world.....I know the CDC in the U.S. was all over it......and I don't think what you heard in the media was the true story........

I have great fears of this H1N1 or "bacon flu" will be the bridge between H5N1.........

What Baxter did last month with their bird flu vaccines should raise everyone's eyebrows.........lets also not forget what happened in Poland last year when the vaccine was tested on homeless people......There were a few deaths needless to say........

I am going to post a video that was shot in Dec 7 2006 by Dr Deagle. I know Dr. Deagle is a contoversal figure and I agree.......but what he says in this video brings light to the events taking place today.......
H5N1 information starts around the 2:40 mark.........

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I pulled the following from the article below!

*** there is no higher Pandemic Severity Index level than a Category 5 pandemic which, roughly speaking, is any pandemic as bad the Spanish flu or worse; and for which all intervention measures are to be used.***

On 29th April WHO raised the worldwide pandemic phase (see "WHO raises pandemic alert level" below) to 5. [66]

Great vid. Thanks. Originally, when we first heard about this new Swine flu, People in Mexico, were dying very quickly. I thought this was definitely due to the mixing of the Avian flu with Swine flu. Then when it was being reported that cases in the U.S. were mild and no one was dying i really thought,"well we must have to different strains". When, Alberta reported the first case of Influenza passing from human to animal I knew this was genetically manipulated.

HPAI A(H5N1) is an avian disease. There is no evidence of efficient human-to-human transmission or of airborne transmission of HPAI A(H5N1) to humans. In almost all cases, those infected with H5N1 had extensive physical contact with infected birds. Still, around 60% of humans known to have been infected with the current Asian strain of HPAI A(H5N1) have died from it, and H5N1 may mutate or re-assort into a strain capable of efficient human-to-human transmission.

H5N1 may cause more than one influenza pandemic as it is expected to continue mutating in birds regardless of whether humans develop herd immunity to a future pandemic strain.

Influenza pandemics from its genetic offspring may include influenza A virus subtypes other than H5N1.While genetic analysis of the H5N1 virus shows that influenza pandemics from its genetic offspring can easily be far more lethal than the Spanish Flu pandemic, plan

"About 52 key genetic changes distinguish avian influenza strains from those that spread easily among people, according to researchers in Taiwan, who analyzed the genes of more than 400 A type flu viruses."[61] "How many mutations would make an avian virus capable of infecting humans efficiently, or how many mutations would render an influenza virus a pandemic strain, is difficult to predict. We have examined sequences from the 1918 strain, which is the only pandemic influenza virus that could be entirely derived from avian strains.

Of the 52 species-associated positions, 16 have residues typical for human strains; the others remained as avian signatures. The result supports the hypothesis that the 1918 pandemic virus is more closely related to the avian influenza A virus than are other human influenza viruses for a future influenza pandemic is based on what can be done and there is no higher Pandemic Severity Index level than a Category 5 pandemic which, roughly speaking, is any pandemic as bad the Spanish flu or worse; and for which all intervention measures are to be used.

H1N1 is currently endemic in both human and pig populations. A variant of H1N1 was responsible for the Spanish flu pandemic that killed some 50 million to 100 million people worldwide over about a year in 1918 and 1919.[64] Controversy arose in October, 2005, after the H1N1 genome was published in the journal, Science. Many fear that this information could be used for bioterrorism.

"When he compared the 1918 virus with today's human flu viruses, Dr. Taubenberger noticed that it had alterations in just 25 to 30 of the virus's 4,400 amino acids. Those few changes turned a bird virus into a killer that could spread from person to person."[65]

In mid-April, 2009, an H1N1 variant appeared in Mexico, with its center in Mexico City. By April 26 the variant had spread widely; with cases reported in Canada, the US, New Zealand, the UK, France, Spain and Israel. On 29th April WHO raised the worldwide pandemic phase (see "WHO raises pandemic alert level" below) to 5. [66]

Please, someone tell me I am wrong!

[edit on 5-5-2009 by paxnatus]

join