It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Video: Neuroscientist has stroke and experiences Nirvana

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedDragon
Ummmmmmmmm. no. The same thing happens on hallucinogenic drugs: your brain malfunctions. Nothing else.

Ah. And you can cite studies or point to some expertise?

I mean, you seem to have the answer...but with nothing to back it up.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
is found in the pineal gland & is a total joy of ecstatic timelessness
but since the war on drugs oops i mean the war on life ! mentioning
& other enlightening stuff found in the human brain & a veriaty of plants is far to TABOO for some folks that still insist on using only 10% of there brains !!.
but good on this lady for shattering the glass apparently called reality.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
We definitely need both sides of our brain to function in this world, or else I don't believe we'd be equipped with such anatomy. I think she agrees with that, and that her main point is this: If we strive to understand our minds, and to occasionally delve into one hemisphere of our brain (specifically: the right), we will have a new perception of reality and will be at peace with ourselves and with others. The only thing I don't understand is, how do we do this without having a stroke? I don't believe meditation does exactly what she's describing.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This is amazing! Thanks for sharing this! I too am inspired to meditate and step to the right of my left hemisphere.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
starred and flagged, awesome post

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
This has been an imazing video! I, too, didn't think I would find myself watching the whole 20 minutes, but it went by effortlessly, and I was completely mezmirized (sp) by it!! Thanks, OP!!!

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by pop_science
reply to post by Nventual

Because our body has something similar to that substance most likely and was probably released in high doses like when a person has a near death experience they become intoxicated by their own brain chemistry as if they just did a bunch of drugs and will cause similar effects like hallucinations and audio hallucinations.

Does this mean "enlightenment"
I guess that's a matter of opinion but the explanation for the nirvana is the long list of drug like chemicals in your brain, but that doesn't mean it's not something more.

What if the only way to experience our true existance is to have those chemicals released in our brain. Then taking a certain illegal drug would also do this but it wouldn't be " o it's just checmicals" it would be " this substance also allows me to see this experience which is natual too.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Ummmmmmmmm. no. The same thing happens on hallucinogenic drugs: your brain malfunctions. Nothing else.

/ thread

Prove it.

Why can't these hallucinogenic drugs just help us tap into an energy we can't experience without these chemicals. These chemicals which occur naturally within our brain.

Yes they are checmicals but it is foolish to think they are " just chemicals "

Close minded people , once they find information that fits, tend to think they have found the final answer when in fact they have only found a piece of it.

What you say is true, but it is not the absolute truth, just a part of it. So you are right, but only partly right and too think you are fully 100% correct means you are blocking out the rest of the truth that comes with it.

On the physical level, yes they are chemicals that are released into our brain, but can you prove that those chemicals don't help our mind tap into a truer existance ?

No you can't, so you can't say it's just chemicals.

If we keep an open mind about everything, then we have no limits as to what we can learn and how fast we can learn it as individuals and as humans.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

/ thread

Sometimes it takes-uh - a little malfunction - for you to know what you have...

You can argue that this experience is nothing but a side effect of bad chemistry - but there are those of us - who know - that is it is indeed far more..

"Have you ever been experienced?
Well, I have
I know, I know, you'll probably scream and cry
That your little world wont let you go
But who in your measly little world,
Are you tryin to prove to that youre
Made out of gold and, cant be sold
So-uh, are you experienced?
Have you ever been experienced?
Well, I have"

- J. Hendrix

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viral
The only thing I don't understand is, how do we do this without having a stroke? I don't believe meditation does exactly what she's describing.

Actualy meditation can go much further, but one must be lead by QUALIFIED master(buddhist or hindu from authentic lineage) not some new age guru(osho...) because it takes whole life and there's plenty of frauds today... Even today in Himalayan caves there are buddhist yogins sitting their whole lifes and practicing and you can be sure that their realizations are deeper than you can even imagine... I understand what she's trying to say but nirvana is really something much further....

_/|\_

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

/ thread

Prove it.

Why can't these hallucinogenic drugs just help us tap into an energy we can't experience without these chemicals. These chemicals which occur naturally within our brain.

Yes they are checmicals but it is foolish to think they are " just chemicals "

Close minded people , once they find information that fits, tend to think they have found the final answer when in fact they have only found a piece of it.

What you say is true, but it is not the absolute truth, just a part of it. So you are right, but only partly right and too think you are fully 100% correct means you are blocking out the rest of the truth that comes with it.

On the physical level, yes they are chemicals that are released into our brain, but can you prove that those chemicals don't help our mind tap into a truer existance ?

No you can't, so you can't say it's just chemicals.

If we keep an open mind about everything, then we have no limits as to what we can learn and how fast we can learn it as individuals and as humans.

Thanks you for saying that, was just about to say the same, I wonder have you read SUPERNATURAL BY GRAHAM HANCOCK, highly recommend it. Deals with just the possibilities you put forward

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

That was amazing. Thanks for sharing it!

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

/ thread

The same thing also happens when you meditate. If you don't believe it is the truth of reality, experience it for yourself.

You won't get evidence any other way.

Refusing to see the truth based on your mind that has been conditioned by society, it is no different than believing in God simply based on a mind conditioned by society.

Experience it for yourself. Then decide.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing that video! It was a wonderful insight into the human body/mind.

I have actually read about similar experiences when I did some research on near death experiences. The whole question about 'where we go when we die' has always intrigued me.

I happened to of read all the posts in this thread before watching the video, so there are a few things I would like to say.

A lot of people shared the same feeling that we should utilize our right brains more. I personally feel that that is wrong. I'm not saying, however, that we should focus on our left side either.

Someone brought up meditation, and this is what I have come to learn about it. Meditation is not about shifting our focus from our left side thinking to right side thinking. I would however say that a majority of people do fall in the left side to much. Then again, there are those of us who do fall in the right side to much. Its all about a balance.

Think of it in terms of warfare: You have the enlisted soldier who is a master at battlefield tactics, and then you have the officer who is a master at battlefield strategy. Strategy involves the ideas and concepts of how you want to accomplish your goal (ie: We need to secure the bridge between city A and B). Tactics deal with the actual methods of accomplishing a goal (ie: using covering fire to move to your objective).

It is, however, important to understand that there is strategy within tactics, and tactics within strategy. An enlisted solider may know that he has to secure a location and how to secure that location, but he may not know what his next move will be. An officer may know what target to move onto next, but may not be capable to secure that target. Strategy deals with the overall plan to accomplish a goal; tactics deal with the overall methods to accomplish a specific goal.

I bring this up because our brains do basically the same thing. Our right hemisphere deals with the present (gathering and processing information). This is basically the same as a reconnaissance team observing an enemy position - theres not there to shoot bullets, just to observe and report, so that there commanders (officers) can make a decision. Our left hemisphere deals with the past and the present (using data from the past to estimate what will happen in the future). This is when a commander reviews the recon teams report - how many enemy troops are there? whats the terrain like? how well fortified is it?. By then looking at the situation, and comparing it to previous operations, the commander will come up with an educated prediction on how successful (or not) the operation may be. And from that conclusion, the commander will decide whether to proceed with the operation or scrub it.

In my opinion, until your sitting on top of both, right split in the middle, you don't really have control over yourself. Achieving enlightenment, nirvana, w/e etc etc is about creating a balance within yourself.

Here's a classic example: As kids, when we see the flame from mom's stove top, we are compelled to touch it because of its beauty, despite being told that its hot. At this point in time, we are in the RIGHT. Once we touch it and burn ourselves, we know what hot means, and we understand not to touch, or go near a flame. Now, a week goes by, and someone asks us to touch a flame. Still looks just as cool as it did before, but, this time we don't touch it. We remember what happened last time - we got burned. At this point, we are in the LEFT.

If we came back to the situation as a balanced person we can recognize certain things.

Our right brain wants us to touch it to experience.
Our left brains wants to stay away b/c of burn (survival)

One side of us wants to take risks and chances for the sake of experience, while the other is merely concerned in self preservation and survival.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
This reminded of something that happened to me about 10 years ago.

I was sitting on the edge of my sofa doing something or about to do something, which i can't remember and isn't important, and i suddenly felt a numbness of my physical form, it's hard to describe. I remember feeling a burst of mental peace, like butterflies in your stomach but it exploded somewhere in my body or mind, can't pin point it from memory.

I distinctly remember feeling it was a death-like thought because it was so beautifully peaceful in an instant; i wasn't aware of any previous head thought, which is why i remembered the experience after watching the TED video.

Sadly, the feeling lasted only a few seconds.

Please note, i'm not into spirituality stuff and crystals, etc, so i have no agenda to warrant me sharing that experience, i just wanted to share it with you to validate your beliefs

Anyway, i'm fascinated in anti-gravity and electro-magnetism (Tesla, Coral castle, Repulsine, etc) and it seems there is a common denominating factor in what the doctor was saying and the Multiverse in which we exist: it is indeed energy that resonates on multiple levels using magnetism as its transitive force, perhaps at superluminal speeds!

This got me thinking, as people have been asking here about using meditation, well i doubt it as 80-90% of people wont be able to achieve that Nirvana state of mind, even using drugs. So my question to you, why not artificially create that ignition of the mind, so anyone can experience pure right-sidedness of the mind or LaLa land.

I've attached a video showing how we could use strong magnets to achieve this state (of Nirvana), but the voltage looks too severe and needs a lot of research. If you can use magnets to polarise the energy of the mind, then the side not magnetised will be more alert and so the experiences can be appreciated and visualised.

I saw a program once showing an Australian researcher using a neodymium magnet on patients, as he was trying to recreate savant ability in 'normal' people by asking them to count dots really quickly, like Rainman and the box of matches. Savants may hold the key to the true power of our brains, as their wiring is so concentrated in certain parts of the brain, enabling them to do some amazing things.

I hope i haven't side-tracked your thread, i just had to waffle after watching that very touching video, thanks

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I saw this several months ago. Good video to help us see what it takes to shake us out of lower bandwidths of awareness. Not everyone needs such an event. You can stumble into it eating your Cheerios and reading the paper.

There is a Zen tale about a man who was using the outhouse and his enlightened moment was brought on by the sound of his (ahem!) splashing into the water. No kidding.

In Zen literature it is called the "Story of the Golden Turd".

Sorry to seem so crass, but to make the point that it does not matter what you are doing it can happen at any time in as many ways as there are people.

Hope you don't have a stroke to find enlightenment. There are other paths up that mountain my friends.

ZG

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroGhost

OMG, spooky!

You're time stamp is the same as mine, so we posted at exactly the same time where you are explaining my experience as i was writing it, but i definitely wasn't on a toilet.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
i've experienced this several times during prayer, but not as extremely as she did while suffering from the stroke. i think the focus must be to quiet the mind, to have a focal point, which in the case of prayer is someone/something other than yourself

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
To be completely honest, what she experienced... the happiness of being in the moment, and feeling all energies... only that moment, and how happy it felt to not worry....

.......That is why drugs are illegal. Some of us experience those everyday, or we would not be able to keep going, in this depressing, stressful society.

Amazing, that her stroke allowed her to feel the moment, the energies, and lack of stress from being a part of society. It really is an amazing ability. Star, flag. I did not know this could be experienced without drugs. Much less by someone having a stroke!

Amazing.

EDIT: Just so I don't get banned, I wanted to clarify that I am only talking LEGAL substances... that provide the reality described, more or less. Don't ban me. I don't use illegal substances, as a couple members know.

Awesome video....

[edit on 4-5-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Thank you for the link to the video, it was very enlightening (excuse the pun).

I won't comment on the spirituality; but the scientific component was amazing with teh split between the right and left sides of the brain.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join