It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New software set to revolutionize internet search

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Hi Grey,

Yes, i have used this numerous times, but sometimes you need "local" crawlers to target specific search.
By no means am i saying google is a bad tool, i am only saying that a combinations of tools yeilds far greater results, as long as you know how to apply them, which often takes time and patience.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I don't know. Personally I would have to look at the number of returned results to see what which SE was better.
I do know that GoogleBot crawls well and indexes results incredibly fast.
Relevant search terms with a high volume of searches get updated in about an hour with Google.
Google is on the ball with their relavence. More so than with any other SE I've seen.

Though you are correct Google is a tool and sometimes you need multiple tools to get the job done.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I do feel that at some point something is going to dominate the scene, when will this happen, i have no idea. It only reminds of when MS was dominating the PC world and all of a sudden Linux was born and then the consumer could choose what os he wanted. Although MS does not update its software for Linux users that fast but eventually they do or the greater open source gurus figure out what drivers are needed were.

I feel the same is going to happen with Google.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
I do feel that at some point something is going to dominate the scene, when will this happen, i have no idea. It only reminds of when MS was dominating the PC world and all of a sudden Linux was born and then the consumer could choose what os he wanted. Although MS does not update its software for Linux users that fast but eventually they do or the greater open source gurus figure out what drivers are needed were.

I feel the same is going to happen with Google.

Just because there is a choice doesn't mean that everyone is going to adopt that choice.

I don't see people jumping ship like rats to move over to linux. The Mac OS is probably the only real competitor to Windows.
Linux while improving still needs some work to become a real competitor to windows desktop.
Linux as a server on the other hand is a rock solid alternative to windows.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Yes i do agree, Linux is a solid system for servers, well lets be honest they have proven themselves above and beyond the call of duty. As for mac, every since the mac in the 80's if you remember, i have always said that they have the best user interface when you compare them to Win and Lin.

Windows although a got working PC(Personal Computer) it still needs more improvements in many ways. Although as we see, all three OS's will merge into one sold unit, well thats how i see it eventually.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Since it was closed off i might as well post it here,

WolframAlpha: move over Google?
A new search engine promises more precise, refined results than ever before. But is America ready for it?

Is the climate change website you’re visiting funded by an oil company? And can you trust the Wikipedia page for a politician you’re interested in? Search engines that prioritise popularity over accuracy hardly help, giving you millions of websites to choose from and no idea of which you can trust.

A new type of search engine, launching this week, could change all that. WolframAlpha (www.wolframalpha.com) is the web’s first “computational knowledge engine” and is the brainchild of Stephen Wolfram, a British computer scientist now based in Illinois. Unlike Google or Yahoo!, WolframAlpha holds only factual data — more than 10 trillion pieces of information — sourced from thousands of official websites, libraries and academic journals, and checked by experts.

In America it has created speculation that it could redefine how we use the web. This isn’t just because it uses only trustworthy sources, but because it knows how each piece of information in its databases is related to every other piece. This allows users to ask it questions in plain English and get the results as graphs, tables and 3-D diagrams.

Type in “30mpg”, for instance, and WolframAlpha will convert it into kilometres per litre and contrast it with the fuel consumption of an average car. You can compare the GDP, currency or mortality rates of different countries, or find out how much healthier a banana is than a hamburger.

So in continuing, wanted to ask if anyone has used this search engine so far and if you have what did you think of it ?

Here is the site if you would like to test it www.wolframalpha.com...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I don't like it.

Most search request fail to provide anything worth reading, and its sources are weak IMO.

However I didn't give up on it. Sitting down with my son, we worked on it until we found ways of getting some info from it.

For example, we searched for Henry's law, which provided no viable information, especially when compared to Google's results.

We found that if we phrase the query a bit differently, it provides a tiny amount of info on Henry's law.

It seems to be better with other types of more specific queries though. Particularly math, and sometimes chemistry. ]-log[H]
Basic Geometry
Statistics

Those answers are pulled directly on Mathmatica's Mathworld website, so its easier to look up the answers there, instead of trying to figure out the right way to phrase it in Wolfram/Alpha.

In my opinion this websites bread needs a little more time to rise.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Much appreciate the feedback

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
In it's current form this site isn't going to be beating google any time soon.

It's not a search engine. It's a computational knowledge engine.

Which I'm sure there is a huge difference.

Using current search terms to get a result yeilded no results.
Asking the engine some questions yeilded a few results.
I'm sure this website is good for something.
But now you're asking people to change the way they do things in order to get results. That's bad. Normally people want to get things the easiest way possible.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Agree'd, obviously its in its infant stage, i am sure they will develop it further as you and i and i assume others have seen that it does lack or should i say it cannot compare to Google at its own level at this moment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join