It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New software set to revolutionize internet search

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
reply to post by grey580

Hello,

What you fail to see is that as computers are redesigned from ground up so is the ability for it to become aware of its users based on algorithms. What you should do at this moment, is copy what you have posted and what all these posts are showing place the paper within a airtight plastic bag and keep it aside. In 40 odd years, open the paper and read back to yourself what has been posted, then look at how the Internet is (2049). I guess your beginning to see my point. Keep in mind that i am referring to what would be available to teh public sector and not the intelligence community.

From dial up modems with 14.4k transfer we now how the "option to choose what form of connection we want".

Having been around computers for the past 24 years I've seen computers do alot. Doing some programming has also showed me alot of what a operating system is capable of.

It's cool to make these sorts of predictions. However I don't think that in 40 years we'll have AI. Heck we barely have a flying car and we've been flying for the past 100 years.
Unless we have a quantum leap in technology. I don't see things changing that much. Now if in a month some guy invents a computer that has all the computing power in the world now to the nth power in something that sits on your desktop. Then I can see this sort of thing happenning.
However we won't know until that happens.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Although our brain is a multi functional, its ability to use those multifunction is limited by its apparatus. By apparatus i mean, hands, feet, speech etc. Its our natural evolution that technology will be the extension of the human race.
We have a small indication of ai software being used in extremely high military applications who we only hear or read about several years later.

Keep in mind, that the consumer market is about 20 years behind the level at what the military is currently at. As you are surely aware of the F117 and its visual dimension. This plane without the use of a computer is like a brick with wings. Its impossible for a pilot to fly that aircraft even if he still had power. The concept of that aircraft was not to build a plane revolving around aerodynamics but to build everything but aerodynamics. The aerodynamics were left to a computer to keep calculating and adjust at an extreme level its contour based on its three dimensional position within the air space. If the computer was to suffer a catastrophic failure, then the pilot must eject as it has no way of flying.

Underground data surfing around is that the next generation planes have surfaces which re position themselves on an airframe. Keep in mind this is only a hypothesis, then again so was radar invisibility or should i say low reflection of a radar signal 15 years ago and yet we all see them and think of them as a normal advancement of aeronautics.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
errmmm... well. so back on topic.
How is this search thing gonna rock my world?

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Maybe just maybe

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I read the article, which is quite short. It does say that this search engine is based on the company's product called Mathematica. I visited the company's site (Wolfram Research) and this is their flagship product. It is data analysis software. They are now trying to apply it to internet search. The site does not stress its AI features, so I don't know how much AI is really involved.

I am interested in this topic for the simple reason that it tends to take me too long to find data I am looking for on the net. My background is in databases, but that is a whole different world because databases are structured and html pages are not. This was a hot topic in certain circles a few years ago, but it doesn't seem to be resolving. This may be because the newer generation of internet users don't really care about real research.

From what I can tell, there are many users, including many of the original internet users, who at least some of the time want the internet to act like a database, where they can submit queries and get results in tabular form. A lot of sites have their own databases (like online stores) which use this type of functionality. The price comparison sites extend this across many online stores. But as far as I know, those sites choose which stores to index. In the perfect search, the search engine returns data that matches your query from every single site it has access to. You, the searcher, would make decisions about which data is more important, or how to narrow your search. However, web pages are not really designed to be searched in this way. They are basically "unstructured" or "dumb" documents. These users would probably favor changes that would add more structure, or "intelligence" to web pages. Probably, this is basically what this new search engine is doing, in the background.

Another set of users look on the internet as a way to distribute their advertising and make their organization or products look attractive, or find "cool stuff." They like the trend towards glitz and hope you will think their glitz is better than someone else's glitz, and so think they are more "cool." This has nothing to do with research, really. It's not necessarily the best commercial model, either. I see it as a bit superficial. Though I am a novice in the politics of the web, I would guess that these types of users have a lot of influence on where the web goes. These are the users that spend money and make money on the web. These users probably don't have a big problem with keyword searches, and would look on a structured approach as "too complicated."

Some sites have you pay to search their databases. That is the ultimate in frustration for someone like me. But let's face it: any search you do is going to have some bias in it, mostly having to do with which sites are given the most priority by the search engine you are using.

It seems this thread turned into one about AI instead of internet searching, and since I'm interested in that, too, I'll comment on it here, though I think it's a bit off the topic. There are 2 main points I would make about AI. The first point is that it will always live up to its name - artificial. The second point is that the reason for that is because intelligence is essentially NOT mechanical. Though it uses a lot of mechanical tricks and crutches, it is not, in fact a function of the brain, but exists on a higher plane than that. It is simply not possible to duplicate intelligence in its full depth and complexity with a machine.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

To begin with , i would like to apologize for the delay, have been caught up on various other issues, back to topic .

I am interested in this topic for the simple reason that it tends to take me too long to find data I am looking for on the net. My background is in databases, but that is a whole different world because databases are structured and html pages are not. This was a hot topic in certain circles a few years ago, but it doesn't seem to be resolving. This may be because the newer generation of internet users don't really care about real research.

It all depends on what sort of data mining are you looking for, there are many forms and obviously their are constant new way's of mining what information one is researching on. The most difficult is live data analysis which requires above average access to databases to which that comes with a price. But if its static data you are researching then you need to think like a thief (excuse the expression). Most of what we are searching is floating out there, just like going to fish in the Pacific Ocean, we know there is large fish but yet we must have the appropriate bait. Hope you understand me.

To answer the last paragraphs, i should mention the following.

I have developed a site which is on line and secured access is required for its still in its second year of constant testing. This site consists of a database which is constantly updated and works as a search engine for a specific topic, although it is not like what i have posted in here, but we do share a common ideology.

As you mentioned earlier, there are many forms of data, i tend to see data as either static or dynamic. Dynamic is the most sort after and well paid in this area of business. Obviously you can understand that is primarily used for obtaining information about competitors products or agreements. This type of mining does require alot of online time and setting up various functions so it can operate on its own and sift through what it deems relevant and non relevant information.

Not sure what you are searching for, but there are basic principles when searching for data. Just like in real life when you would question to another person to find out the relevant information and throw away the non relevant information, so too applies the same principle in data mining. Currently i have over four hundred thousand links that constantly feed information, last time i used the information was for a particular organization associated with tourism on domestic and international level. Keep in mind this was nine month project and the results were just above eighty two percent accurate.

You may ask yourself if he is doing this why on earth is he into some conspiracy site, well i find this type of stuff very relaxing to me, it has a diverse culture with a wide range of ideas and values. As i have said, your next million dollar idea might be within then next page you click.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
UPDATE

Im posting the recent update on this search engine As i have said this could be a very powerful tool to those who know what is at hand.

www.thestandard.com...

You may have heard recently about Wolfram Alpha, a new Web service that some people are projecting (mistakenly, I'm certain) as a "Google killer". With Wolfram Alpha, you type terms into a field on a webpage and get back information about those terms. But the big brains at Wolfram research insist that it's not a search engine, it's a "computational knowledge engine." The company announced today that the service should be publicly available on May 18.

After playing with the very early version of Wolfram Alpha for a few hours, I agree that it's not your average search engine. What is it? I'm not sure I'm qualified to say: Not only did I not understand all the answers I got from Wolfram Alpha, I couldn't even comprehend some of the questions I could ask it.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Can you be a little less ambiguous?

Please answer my question.
how is this gonna rock my world?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Hello,

It depend's on how one would see this useful in his day to day applications, i for one find this extremely interesting, as long as it follows through with its intended purpose. One of the most important aspects in Internet is knowing what the trend is in real time with a broad spectrum and accurate reading.

Data mining.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Sounds to me like this search engine then would be totally useless to the majority of the world population.

As it stands most users can barely begin to use google to it's full potential.
And now you're saying that this is going to change things?
People will use it. Not understand it. And then go back to using google.

What most programmers don't understand is that you have to design your software to be usable by a user that is Deaf, blind and mute with no arms or legs, dislexic suffering from ADD, OCD, apoplecticly spastic turrets and a low grade case of narcolepsy.
Only then, will your software be a google killer.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
well ... as a programmer I just cannot understand how this software would work ... you search for something like aliens ...

there are tons os sites with information ... how would this software filter the information ... and how would the software know if the information is not false ...

I dont think this software will ever work properly ...

[edit on 14-5-2009 by Faiol]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I will disagree you as in my world Google is the most corrupt and evasive software that has totally suckered everyone into, even myself to an extent.

You should look into Googles history and its so called privacy act before you begin to defend or praise what they have achieved.

A breif history on the innocent Google:

"In August, Google was served with a subpoena from the U. S. Department of Justice demanding disclosure of two full months’ worth of search queries that Google received from its users, as well as all the URLs in Google’s index. We objected to the subpoena, which started a set of legal procedures that puts the issue before the Federal courts. Below is the introduction to our response to the Department of Justice's motion to the court to force us to comply with the subpoena. You can find the entire response."

"US government demands search data : Google says no, but AOL, MSN and Yahoo said yes"
"Google sees its largest 1-day loss ever."

Then after a closed room meeting came the cherry on the cake.

U.S. Executives from Twitter, Google, and YouTube, among others recently visited Iraq as part of a U.S. State Department delegation. Executives met with government officials, educators, and other community leaders.

Their mission was to provide conceptual input as well as ideas on how new technologies can be used to build local capacity, foster greater transparency and accountability, build on anti-corruption efforts, promote critical thinking in the classroom, scale-up civil society, and further empower local entities and individuals by providing the tools for network building.

During his visit to Iraq, Twitter chairman and founder Jack Dorsey blogged on the Internet that cell phone usage [in Iraq] is massive and the velocity is increasing. There are 17.5 million mobile phones with 85 percent penetration, he added. However, noted Mr. Dorsey, the infrastructure is overwhelmed. Often Iraqis carry at least 2 phones from separate providers in order to assure coverage.

www.cellular-news.com...

Next time you decide to bring to me the word Google, i suggest you understand that im totally against Google. Google is a registered telecom company which means they get a full cnab file. Having said that you must understand that there many other experimental but extremely promising programs out there far more capable of what you have been successfully exposed to.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
error

[edit on 14-5-2009 by tristar]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
error

[edit on 14-5-2009 by tristar]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Your argument, while possibly true, is completely irrelevant to my point.

Google is the #1 search engine right now because it's easy enough to use and gives back the most relevant results.

The bar right now is google. If you can't surpass that bar by a country mile then your search engine will fail.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

You do know how a search engine works on the back end right?
In case you don't here is some of how SE's (Search Engines) work.

When you search for term like "aliens".
A SE has algorithms in running in the background that try to return the most relevant result to your search term.
Now many things determine relevancy and postion in SERPS (SE result pages).
-Keyword content on a page.
-Location of content on a page.
-Incoming links to a page with the content you are looking for.
-Outgoing links from the page.
-The content of the entire website.

And that's just the begining. SE's have tons of algorithms that detect for spam websites and other things. Farms of web and database servers that Crawl all the net. And I'm not even including Google Page Rank into this.

There is so much going on behind the scenes that it's not funny.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I agree with you, although it has successfully marketed itself as a world search engine for general area across the globe, i on the other hand need to refine searches with further in depth and precise target sectors or regions without having to sift through all the pages.

An example of what i use since im continuously building a data base and i need precise information about a particular region/topic/country i use this link instead of going through the millions of pages which Google splashes on my screen.

www.searchenginecolossus.com...

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by tristar

Your argument, while possibly true, is completely irrelevant to my point.

Google is the #1 search engine right now because it's easy enough to use and gives back the most relevant results.

The bar right now is google. If you can't surpass that bar by a country mile then your search engine will fail.

If it kills Google, then it will rock my world. Not everyone thinks Google is great.

Now, if we can just get it voice activated.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by secretstash

I think that there is voice search on the iPhone. Might be a part of a google app. I'm not sure. I briefly saw it on sunday.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

well you could use country specific google sites in the countries you want to search.

also you can refine your google search.
www.google.com...
In the advanced search you click
Date, usage rights, numeric range, and more link
to specify more options.
You can choose regions to refine your search more.

Google is very powerful in what it can do. You just have to know how to ask the right questions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join