It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New software set to revolutionize internet search

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Hello,

But is this not what Google and Yahoo just to mention the few have achieved, they have monopolized Internet were by your site is categorized based on their traffic analysis. In a nut shell, if your not on their search engines then your not being exposed. I do feel that a higher degree of diversity always allows the end user to be in control and not being directed to sites.

I also feel that dividing the birthday cake allows more competitive and aspiring individuals to achieve what otherwise was not achievable. Lets not even begin to think how valuable their data banks would be for the right price.
After all knowledge is power.

edit: Keep in mind, that this can be merged as i mentioned earlier into a wider spectrum of business applications.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by tristar]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Excellent analysis. I think you're right.

BTW... LOVE the mask.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
In my opinion, this software, and other "AI" attempts like it, would be the death of the Internet as we know it...

...The process seeks to eliminate connectivity to actual websites by delivering detailed information in response to user questions...

But such a huge percentage of websites have nothing to do with providing general knowledge information or objective answers to questions, such as forums, shopping sites, entertainment and news sites, local business sites, and file sharing sites.

Using a forum as an example, it would be impossible to have a discussion with other people through software that answers questions. With shopping sites, such a program would act as a pointless middleman between the buyer and the company (currently price compare sites direct you to the actual website where the product is sold). News and entertainment sites could potentially be filtered through a AI type info gatherer, but the information given would still have to have a 'source', which people would inevitably want to verify by going to the news or entertainment website itself. Local business sites would be impossible to continuously update through expert verification. And file sharing would be incredibly difficult to verify, since files can be modified so easily.

The need for such specific websites is so vital in the internet world that I'd have to disagree with the idea that such a program would be "the death" of the internet, although it would most definitely be the death of sites like Wikipedia and Yahoo Answers.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by EverythingYouKnowIsWrong

I wouldn't even necessarily say that. I can see the usefulness of this program, as there's been many times I've had a specific question I needed answers to - and traditional searches merely matched by keywords and traffic. Meaning I had to dig through a lot irrelevant data to get what I needed. This program can help reduce that search time significantly.

However, not all queries are questions with definitive answers. There may be multiple opposing viewpoints, opinions, and fictions that you're searching for. I often use google to look up the title to songs I only know a line or two of lyrics for - or to get sources for quotes I cannot remember verbatim by putting in what few words from it I do know. Nor would it, as you yourself mentioned, allow for roaming from "shiny object to shiny object" as our attentions spans sometimes do on the internet.

Then, of course, there's always the issue of - is the answer you're getting accurate? If you're searching for a site with inaccurate information to illustrate an example, asking a question to a system that only provides accurate answers would be useless.

I highly doubt this AI system to answer search queries will dominate the internet - but it will become hugely successful as an integral component of it that the user can either choose to use or rely on a separate search mechanism. Google often separates extremely close matches or retail sites to a section at the top of the page, with the rest of the links brought up listed below. I could definitely see this new function being integrated in such as a fashion... as an indispensable enhancement, but not a complete replacement. Where it will likely have the greatest impact is on small mobile devices where traditional web searches are impractical or unwieldy. Being able to ask a specific question such as, "When does the last train for Ogden leave Union Station?" or "Where is the nearest restaurant that serves Rubens?" would be an extremely beneficial attribute to have for web-enabled devices that are designed to be used when you're on the move.

I've seen work done on similar applications for mobile devices, one which even resembles the purpose of this AI Search... but using real people to do the searches for the customer on the move. However, they never quite functioned as well as they were advertised or envisioned - because they still relied either on an internet search that wasn't designed for that sort of specific (and often situational) query - or because of the limitations of the unique databases they used to compile search results formatted for their specific applications.

I can also see it being handy for the "tech challenged" who are intimidated by the internet as it currently is. They often don't know how to search effectively, get frustrated, or wonder into sites which are untrustworthy - potentially picking up viruses or malware. I've been online with my computers since before the internet was even around in any meaningful sense, back in the days of Renegade and Rip-Term when you had to dial into to a private residence to access the local network (and they could only connect as many simultaneous users as they were willing to pay for extra phone lines). I could hop-scotch area codes and bypass long-distance fees by logging into a BBS that had a node designated for calling into another area that was local for them but LD for me and passing the information through. Back when all graphics were variations of ASCII/ASCI code. *Ahem, sorry. Nostalgia* So I have picked up a good sense of what likely is and isn't trustworthy based on page design choices, phrases used, font sizes and colors, etc. My intuition isn't perfect, but it keeps me breezing along without my virus scanner or firewall kicking going haywire every fifteen minutes. I tend to take such a intuition for granted, and it never ceases to amaze me how often people I know who are new or inexperienced on the net will fall into obvious traps, phishing schemes, malware baits, or get really, really, REALLY BAD advise or information that could hurt them physically, mentally, financially, or even land them in jail if acted upon.

It'll be useful for everyone, but it will be a great idiot's guide to the internet that gets them what they need without exposing them to risks of their own inexperience or stupidity. It's like wearing a football helmet while driving your moped the wrong way down the information superhighway. Derp derp derp.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

Hello,

Considering what you have posted in respect to this being incorporated into the mobile phone industry then the skies the limit. As you so well pointed out, its almost impossible to try and use and search while on the go a particular item or answer through a cell while on the move.

As we move into a more digital age and automated life style we cannot and should not ignore advance into this field. We are all aware of computer wired houses which can regulate temperature and monitor your home security with predefined variables. One such device which had me lost for words was through Siemens about two years ago, were they had shown a oven and refrigerator as a single unit. From memory, i remember it had the size of three vending machines put side by side.

The advantages were that someone could prepare the meals store them and based on a schedule they could be automatically cooked according to the users desire or time table. As you are also aware there are refrigerators who do inform the users based on input prior to stock, if and when a particular item needs to be restocked. This information upon approval could then be forwarded to a supermarket and approve the appropriate re stocking of any item/items. Some may see this as an evil or controlled life style. But that cannot dismiss that like myself time is very valuable in every essence.

As any business needs to have on the fly information on current Revenue and Expenses, so too does a house operate in a similar fashion. Unfortunately people fail to realize that a home's expenses need as much time in planning as any regular business. The difficult part is that within your home you are dealing with life partners who share an equal say in what you decide, were as a business has its owners and employees.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
posted on 4-5-2009 @ 08:38 AM single this post edit

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
While all of you are oooo'ing and ahhhh'ing, I'm sitting here thinking that I don't want a search engine that selects the information for me.

Seriously, would any of you actually like the idea that you're only presented the information that the search engine thinks you should have?

I might be old fashioned, but I don't think this is necessarily a good thing.

Thank you. I totally agree. Majority of my searches are vague searches where I'm looking for older articles that may just mention my topic which in turn puts me in another direction giving me a wider base of research.
If this system is so direct, you limit yourself to any relative info thus hapering your results.

Btw I personally don't use google because of all the advertisements and they put things in the order for their own agenda. Basically they pick what they want you to see.

I use a canadian engine, Vroosh.com, very clean and no advertising.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I don't think it's any closer to AI. It's just a new way of harvesting information. Sure, the program may have a larger understanding of human syntax but it doesn't have a soul, a conscience and it cannot feel or understand abstract and artistic concepts such as metaphors, subjective thought, nada, nothing, zero, zip!

Much ado about nothing IMHO.

LOL Bill!

I can see why you don't like the concept!

IRM

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
All true and well, but from what i understand is that it taps into specific and approved data which has been compiled for the sole purpose of education. As we all have seen so many blogs/sites/forums who have either misleading information or simply horse sh1t.

This might just bring some clarity to people who need specific answers to specific questions without having the luxury of time to search through various links. When i need results for a specific answer i need it now, not in 20 mins or in 10 mins but i need with a 60 second time frame. This is why i feel its completely necessary and long overdue a package like this.

Also lets not exclude the voice activation search that google is working on, yahoo has something similar for mobile phones and opera also has a similar product through its browser. Obviously there are many products out there, but the product that will ascend to an ultimate utility will need merge all spiders across the world. Obviously its a difficult task but its not impossible, its only a matter of time.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Considering what you have posted in respect to this being incorporated into the mobile phone industry then the skies the limit.

The extremely cool thing about this is going to be in the way that search software and improvements thereof is going to merge and integrate in functionality with other developing technologies in a very profound way that may not be immediately apparent. For instance, not long ago researchers from Ambient Corporation demonstrated a concept product of theirs which allows the user to place voiceless telephone calls. Here's a video exert of that demonstration:

Now, towards the end of the video Michael mentions a functionality of it he calls "Smartest man in the room" in which the user can ask a question that triggers a search query to retrieve the information from the internet which can be either displayed or broadcast through your phone.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no apparent links or collaborations between Wolframalpha, Ambient, or Kurzweil Technologies. Yet developments by all three independent companies will likely mature and converge into a single product/service. (And I'm just talking concept, the enabling software and technologies will likely be licensed to multiple competing manufacturers) I'll explain.

The problem with Ambient's vision of "Smartest man in the Room" is that to be really applicable and useful in regards to the proposed vision - answers from queries will have to be very specific, situational, and accurate. It has to do this on the fly. The current search engines for the internet cannot efficiently provide this level of direct question and answer information gathering as the user will still end up scanning multiple links of varying degrees of applicability for the best answer. This new internet software will enable that direct, accurate, and speedy transfer of information.

The internet software in the OP is designed around the direct asking of a question, such as "What is the current stock price on Intel" (you might guess where I'm going with this) - which will be a common and intuitive way of interacting with your mobile phone, making it as said above, invaluable to mobile device users. Yet from here, we have the Modem software - the code which converts analog audio received into digital information that can be used in the search engine. This is Kurzweil's forte, and his companies technologies are leading the development (more like refinement at this point) of voice recognition, text readers, and real-time translation software. This will enable text answers from the internet to be received as an auditory response.

So I present a scenario quite likely to hapen, I feel, in the not too distant future. Imagine a commodities trader who is an early adopter of this technology and consider the advantage he'd have over his fellow traders by essentially always being "plugged in" to the internet without needing to deviate his attention towards a screen. Simply mimicking the vocalization he needs to ask a question, he can get up-to-the-second stock quotes, market trends, research a potential investment - all without deviating from other tasks which allow for seamless multitasking. He can also do this regardless of his current environment - as he can prevent others from "spying" on his results, or send real-time intelligence back to his firm without other traders knowing that he's spying on them. The call placed will be completely voiceless, and answers received via small blue-tooth earbud we commonly see.

Eventually you may see a scenario on Wall Street where the financial markets aren't ablaze in the chaos and fury, but eerily silent as investors crowd together in the pits and stare silently at investment updates able to research, conference, buy, and sell on the spot and simultaneously. All the same veracity, drive, emotion, and frenzy we currently see, with much less commotion and absent of it's familiar chaotic cacophony - replaced by idle chatter and the occasional rage fueled explicative outburst. The action would never stop until the closing bell, even if you had to hit the can to take a leak. Which I guess is the same way it is now, except you wouldn't look like a complete d-bag on the toilet with your pants around your ankles screaming obscenities at an unresponsive piece of plastic while you try to pinch a loaf.

I really think this new search software and it's conjunction with complimentary technologies is going to impact the mobile market the most, and it's going to impact the business world substantially. Even more than that, it could have indispensable use in every-day life. In a limited way, it really is a further step towards augmentation by putting the wealth of human knowledge at your fingertips in a seamless, discreet, and on-demand manner. Provided you're within range of a tower.

The next step up being BCIs which can read the question from your mind, search the answer, and respond by direct stimulation of auditory pathways, or the real-time translation of language during casual conversation which is completely audio free, but you hear it as you would a translation on television, like a subtitle speaker. All of which are currently being researched or developed and demonstrably tenable. It may not be an odd site to see a group of students sitting at a table having a spirited conversation - yet each speaking a completely different language from the other. In time, the contention over a national language or acceptance of a second language would be moot. You'd simply set your native language option to English (or Spanish, or French, or whatever) and off you go.

I might have scared some of the more paranoid among us, but from what I can see - the future is going to be a bright and better place with universal on-demand access to accuracy-checked and up-to-date knowledge and information. Where communication barriers no longer exist or stifle collaboration or connection. These two factors, education and free communication (in both content and transmission) have traditionally always served to ultimately liberate and free humanity. I see no reason for that trend to reverse.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I can't wait for this to be open for the public. I am going to use this all the time for the forums! Guess what? I just wolframed the subject and yep, you are wrong!

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

Hello,

As you so well pointed out, the use of such technology is infinite. I myself are one of those who have seen a serous amount of traffic revolving around low orbiting sat systems. I do know that its only a matter of time that land lines and fiber optics will be like the good old days of dial up modems (what a nightmare) As speeds increase in data transmissions and receiver's so to will this technology erupt across the globe. Lets face it, streaming live over the internet is at a good level but when you begin to grow you either have too options, invest and scale upwards, that is if you have the money to do so, or , retain your level and hope everything sails smoothly.

I suppose its why Mr. Gates was launching low orbit sat systems from russia, he obviously has visioned another aspect of the internet which will be utilizing these revolutionary technological ideas.

P.S. My cell phone has that modem tone as a ring tone and i find extremely freaky.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Wolfram tends to promise lots of things and only rarely ever delivers...

That being said - I do believe he is a genuis - and some of his work has altered the way I perceive our Universe.

And as for this "ruining" the Internet - why would it have to replace Google or Wikipedia - why could it not just become another tool in our arsenal for researching the truth?

There is an active plan in place for Centralizing the Internet - and that - if accomplished - surely will ruin the Internet in many ways..

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthMagnet

What i would like to say is to think back to when we had dial up and what was available and now look how far we are, so how would you vision the internet in 15 years. ?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Tirstar,

As someone who has worked intimately with the Internet and made a livelihood from it I feel I am somewhat qualified to answer your question with some expertise.

I basically see the internet evolving into one of two systems - one I call the Freenet and one I would call the Total Information Awareness Project.

Ideally - if the Internet were allowed to evolve naturally - I believe the Freenet would eventually emerge - basically you would have a way to verify your identity through biometric devices for online commerce - and you would have a built in anonymizer for all other Internet activity.

Users would toggle freely between these two settings - with Internet Providers purposefully purging user data as quickly as possible to keep the users identity as private as possible.

(they could still set up honeypots to trap blatantly dangerously illegal behavior - working with law enforcement on a case by case basis with a valid warrant)

The other possible net - the Dystopia - is the completion of Darpa's Total Information Awareness Project.

This would happen as Internet 2 is rolled out with significantly faster speeds and combined with the soft roll out of Microsoft's Pallidium Protocol.

The Internet 2 will be routed through a series of Western controlled centralized servers which will (if not currently) employ Quantum Super-Computers to analyze and profile all network data that flows through it.

Thus the Total Information Awareness Goal will be fulfilled.

Microsoft's Pallidium Protocol essentially means that your O/S will serve as gate-keeper for all files and programs you have on your system - giving remote servers - and O/S updates - the ability to freeze access to any files on your system found violating their "set of rules" at any time.

(thus if you don't voluntarily do MS updates - whenever you connect to the internet these rule updates will be pushed to your PC behind the scenes anyways)

MS's monopoly will be secured by legislation requiring every citizen to have a verified identity on the web - this will be enforced by ISP providers who will be de-certified if they do not police this.

(sure you may be able to run another O/S - but can only use the web with the Govt. approved MS app plug in)

As for what I think will happen?

Well - if we look at the trends - I think it is pretty easy to see that the Dystopia is falling nicely into place - with the corporate profit motive and Govt. power motive intersecting nicely to form a true alliance of Fascist Control.

Eventually the sheeple will get used to the Internet being a tiered and monitored subscription model with hundreds of channels and very little original or insightful content.

(very few people will even notice the difference)

Soon afterwards Subscription TV and Internet will merge - and the prophetic Telescreen of Orwell's Imagination will finally become a reality.

(although - it will probably not become truly draconain for several more decades - and by then people won't think it draconian at all - just part of the Brave New World Order that evolved from the more primitive time of self-governence and warring Nation States)

Sorry to tell ya - but it likely won't end well!

I will still fight till the very end - so I am cautiously optimistic - but I just don't trust the public to do the right thing - they rarely have before.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I would hate for people to be able to type, "What is Andrea's favorite food" and have this search thing bring it up. I'm Andrea BTW.

That's a less scary example.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Here's my take on this.

It will be a shiny new toy for about a week.
1/2 the internet will blog about how good it is.
After using it and finding out all the bugs the other half of the internet will blog about how terrible it is.
Then after all the bugs are found in it. Black Hat SEO's will begin to game the site to get their viagra, celebrex, etc.. sites listed higher in the serp's. The said SE will then spend the rest of it's life trying to outfox the SEO's.
At the same time hackers funded by the russian mafia will begin to poison search results with links to sites that infect your computer with malware.

After this month long orgy of newness ends people will say the site blows and will go back to using Google because it just works the way they are used to.

I will with hold judgement myself till after about 6 months of the site being live online. By then they should have all the bugs worked out.

ps. anyone remember cuill? Hopefully this site will be better.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthMagnet

Hello,

The idea of having a fully functional and each pc is a gateway was actually first spoken about in the early 80's, obviously this information was lost within the virtual world of the internet. It was long agreed that to keep the nation safe from foreign or domestic threats that it would need to regulate communications. As you have described each pc will be like a guard allowing and disallowing upon evaluation of the content for any search and information. This is evident with today's television network's regardless from which country. The most successful campaign is branding users who can bypass these security flaws have been labeled hackers.

Obviously new methods need to be put into applications and a constant adjusting of security procedure's will always be needed. However, as i have stated, anything that is digital can be intercepted. There are so many cases of unknown individuals who are and have and will be hitch hiking on sat bandwidths without the vendor knowing about it. But because its not allowed to see its way into the media, society and everyone assumes that its impossible to do.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Discordian Queen

Hi Andrea,

If you are a member of any social network then its almost certain that your favorite food has already been cataloged if you have mentioned it.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Hello,

What you fail to see is that as computers are redesigned from ground up so is the ability for it to become aware of its users based on algorithms. What you should do at this moment, is copy what you have posted and what all these posts are showing place the paper within a airtight plastic bag and keep it aside. In 40 odd years, open the paper and read back to yourself what has been posted, then look at how the Internet is (2049). I guess your beginning to see my point. Keep in mind that i am referring to what would be available to teh public sector and not the intelligence community.

From dial up modems with 14.4k transfer we now how the "option to choose what form of connection we want".

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

True - makes sense this was all planned earlier - even Tyrannical Govt's are not made up entirely of idiots...

However, although you and I know there are many ways of cirumvention - that is still a far cry from the Freenet it COULD be..

And - the cost of disobedience - will be high!

(not that those who disobey could ever obey - it is not in our nature)

I see a Dystopia coming down the track sooner than later - any Solutions?

(short of people waking the F' up?)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join