It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA to Ban Electric Cigarettes on May 5th

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
not surprised,,not like they ever did anything positive..

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
It is simple. "E-cigarettes" can be used as a smoking cessation aid which actually works. Its that stupid lefty government logic that if they stick a high tax on it, they can "smother" it out of existence, yet, in the meantime, they count on the fact that this additional expected "income" from higher taxes on cigarettes will be there in the future.

This product represents a danger to this philosophy in that the addicted masses "might" actually be able to quit. There goes that revenue "for your sins"!

Iowa recently banned smoking in bars and public buildings, joining a few other states that have done so. Its a well known fact around here that a company that makes smoking cessation products has been "donating" a lot of money to the governing bodies here in Des Moines. Everyone is in it for the money and the only ones losing are the "poor masses" (the lower the paycheck earned, the more likely YOU are one to smoke.)

You are also the ones that helped vote Obama and his buddies into office on the message of "Hope" and "Change". I hope you guys are able to change your smoking habits! Pretty soon Government is going to tell you that you HAVE to!

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I smoke an electronic cigarette.

I haven't had a real cigarette for a few months now.
And oddly enough, I've almost completely stopped using even the e-cig. It's just so darn easy to cut down and quit with this thing!!

In my opinion these e-cigs are the perfect answer to everyone's tobacco problems.

- They don't have the 40,000 harmful chemicals that real cigarettes do.

- They're helping thousands of people quit/reduce their addiction to nicotine.

- They have NO SECOND HAND SMOKE.

- There's no filthy litter filling up the side-walk from these things.

- There's no bad smell, or taste.

Health Canada has given the go-ahead to one e-cig company that I'm aware of... probably more by now. If e-cigs can pass Canada's incredibly strict tests, then it can most certainly pass the FDA's tests.

Only problem is, the FDA didn't get enough of a BRIBE!

Everything people complained about with real cigarettes, these e-cigs have eliminated!
... and the FDA is going to ban it?

That's delivering one message and one message only!

The FDA wants your children addicted to real cigarettes,
they want your children to have the cancer, the rotten teeth, the heart disease!

The FDA wants your children DEAD and DYING so they can line their pockets with money from treatments needed to keep smokers alive.

Ban the FDA!
Let's install something that works!

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I was just doing further research on this...

In a message sent out from the FDA, they state clearly that "The content of the products have not been analyzed by FDA."

WHAT!?!!!

They didn't even look at the things?... they just laid down the ban hammer?!

They've clearly become corrupted.
Some of my counterparts who also use e-cigs were a little more on the ball with this than I was... they've already contacted the FDA for an explanation...
... the FDA seems to be doing damage control.

It seems ALOT of people have been quite angered by this, and now the FDA is stating that the infromation was "leaked" and sometimes hinting that the decision has been repealed.

We'll see on the 5th I guess.

If they ban such an obvious answer to so many problems, I'm going to set aside much of my free time to rallying people against the FDA to have their system re-organized or replaced by something that works.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by johnsky]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
reply to post by UFOTECH

I clicked on the link you provided to Lautenberg's office, and found this:

"While the FDA has indicated it will evaluate electronic cigarettes on a case-by-case basis, it has not taken any enforcement action against these products, which are currently being sold in mall kiosks across the country and on the Internet."

Apparently the concern is over the safety of e-cigs, which haven't been thoroughly tested. But there doesn't seem to be anything to get excited about-- yet, anyway.

We can still buy e-cigs at this point.

I agree. Although I was absolutely furious over this [color=gold]HOAX story; until I vetted it with more research also...
I can't verify that this story is real AT ALL...
It has been known for months that the FDA is looking into banning sales BUT to my knowledge haven't come up with any details about their plans what-so-ever.

I'd call this a HOAX... I hope the mods can label it as such... as soon as it proves to be a fake.

Now I need to go have a smoke... My eCig is dry =\

(negative stars for the OP) * * * * *

[edit on 5·4·09 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by squidboy

They have a petition going to try and stop the ban, their goal is 10,000 signatures, they have 6,160 so far. I found the address for the petition in the comments section after the article in the OP. I don't want to post the link because i don't think we're allowed to post things like that here.

I just entered the address in my address bar, took me right to the petition. I'm forwarding it to all of my contacts. It might not do any good, but hey at least we can say we tried.

One day left to get those signatures, pass it to everyone you know. I'm sure another 4,000 can be gotten in a day if people really want to keep their E-cigs.

They keep saying their main reason for upping the taxes on cigarettes all the time is to make us quit, and then when we finally get a product that actually helps us and is healthier they want to take it away ! They don't give a rat's butt about us, they just don't want to lose the money from the damn taxes

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by squidboy

I was not familiar with the e-cigarette, until I read this thread and then looked it up to see exactly what it was, the thread was discussing.

I am floored the FDA is banning this, you would think they would see this as a good thing. It is the same as a patch etc in releasing nicotine.

Ah, but the FDA is run by the big pharma's and I bet they don't like something that will take away sales from their patches and gum.

This should be something embraced not banned.

My faith in the good ole govt. is now stronger - the faith that they are motivated and run by big money people - and it is no longer in anyway about the actual people of the U.S. anymore and what is best for them.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oreyeon

Originally posted by Pamie
Why don't they just tax the sh!@#$ out of us? Would that be more consistent?

Why would you lay down and be ok with this too?

Um, I was being sarcastic. But, really, if they ban this product, I will have to go back to cigarettes which means a serious risk of cancer....can anyone say class action lawsuit?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
So is this a hoax then?

No-one seemed to consider this to possibly be the reason for the banning:

www.abovetopsecret.com...#

I read this thread a while back and this just prompted me to find it. Basically it says that nicotine has an adverse effect to fluoride, Increasing seratonin levels etc. amd actually making us happier.

It also states that nicotine on its own (without the nasty substances in cigarettes) is actually beneficial to the body, albeit addictive.

If this is true it's not a supprise that they want to ban this product! I would recommend the thread, read it and let me know what you think!

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This is a very strange thread that sounds like it will spawn the topic "Who killed the electronic cigarette?". Some people are not sure that this FDA ban is even real and others are going nuts trying to protect these e-cigarettes. It almost appears as if this was made by proponents of e-cigarettes just to get people riled up. The other hilarious thing was that people mention that these e-cigs have little to none of the harmful side-effects of regular cigarettes. They are just citing what the people that make them claim! hahahahahhaha.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
when did the fda ever do anything good??lol never!!!!!!!they need fiends and what better than tobacco to corrupt people..quitting is hard!!they know that and they love control..pretty soon obama will be working for just cigs..So do like i did go cold turkey,if you want!!i wish you smokers luck..

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
If this is a hoax, why is the FDA holding millions of dollars of supplies (ie the kits, extra parts, the liquid) in customs (by the millions). A few companies have liquidated their stock or have sold out all together (known and reliable sellers).

One small liquid seller (and I mean small) has over 50 k worth of supplies being held and not released. Alot of the sites have sold out of all product.

A few big companies have actual started legal recourse due to the seizures. Basically the FDA, through customs, was stopping a legal device from coming onto our shores for the last few months. Now they are going to try and make it illegal until I'm guessing someone can sponsor some studies on the health risks involved... That won't take a month or two....

So what's left trying to import from China illegally? Great.... OR going back to smoking the normal cigarettes.... The patch and gum are worthless to me (I've tried numerous times, and this was the first thing that seems to have given me a shot)...

At the same time, I am not quiting. I just switched my method and its healthier. EFF the FDA.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oreyeon

Why don't they just tax the sh!@#$ out of us? Would that be more consistent?

Why would you lay down and be ok with this too?

Um, I was being sarcastic. But, really, if they ban this product, I will have to go back to cigarettes which means a serious risk of cancer....can anyone say class action lawsuit?

I for one am with you. This product has been on the market for over a year now. I feel healthier then ever. If they ban it, and your looking to file a class action lawsuit against the FDA. I am with you and there are 1000s others who would join up. Why did it take them two years to ban it? Why let millions spend millions of hard earned money on a product that is safe, just to have to made worthless. They are honestly pushing people back to nonsafe methods, or methods that do not work. IF anything, shouldn't those who bought the products and invested money be grandfathered in???

Patch and gum do not work, and honestly you have a higher risk of overdosing as you can smoke and use both other devices. Also why would a 100 dollar product be marketed towards kids???? Isn't mint nicotine gum seem more capable of being picked up by the kids????

Oh and FDA who has died from the e cig? Name one person!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Electronic Cigarette Association (ECA) response to FDA's position:

www.reuters.com...

""The message that is being sent by the FDA to those who cannot stop smoking, or
who do not wish to stop smoking, is that it is better to keep smoking tobacco,
which kills more than 400,000 people in the US per year, is the leading cause of
preventable death in our country and results in more death than AIDS, drugs,
homicides, fires and auto accidents combined," said Matt Salmon, former US
Congressman and President of the ECA. "It is time to stop misinformation, to put
the needs of consumers ahead of special interests, to put public health ahead of
stifling process, and to embrace the first true innovation in a centuries-old
space."

Well said, this is going to get very interesting....

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join