It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arlen Specter: Politics as Usual

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Sen Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania decided to switch parties in order to save his skin. He was facing possible defeat in the primary next year by a popular conservative Republican. He would definitely of won the November election as he is quite popular with moderates and Democrats. He needed to survive the challenge, and things were looking quite bleak.
His decision had nothing to do with beliefs, as it had more to do with him not being forced out of a cushy job. It also seems he is voting more like a conservative Republican now that he has switched parties. He will filibuster the EFCA bill that is coming up, and he is from a heavily union state. I still don't know why he is going to do that one, as he will likely face a challenge from a Democrat in the Spring of 2010.
He will be 80 years old when he runs for his sixth term in the Senate. He has had past health issues which he has beaten so far. He should be more graceful like Sen Bunning of Kentucky and retire. He has not gained much support from the Democrats as he thought he would.
I am one who does not make age an issue, but I also do think it is time for someone else. Thirty years is more than enough for someone to be a Senator. He is not about ideas, but about keeping the perks of Congress. He wields a lot of power, and does not want to lose that. This one will be interesting to watch in 2010.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Arlen Specter has lost all his seniority in the Senate. He is upsetting more and more Democrats, and there is more of a chance of a good challenge in the Democratic primary. It looks more and more like Sen Specter should of stayed a Republican, or moved to Independent status.

With his treatment of EFCA, the unions will probably back his Democratic challenger. Since Pennsylvania is a heavy union state, that does not bode well for Sen Specter. It looks like a very bumpy ride for the Senator. Retirement may be one option to save face, but I doubt his ego will let that happen.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
People like him are the reason I would love to see term limits. His political agenda is not with the countries best interest in mind, but his own. He makes me sick.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

If some polling is true, then Sen Specter is about to see his own version of term limits. His primary opponent is gaining serious ground.

I am one who opposes term limits as I should be able to vote who I wish to see in office. If they are doing a great job, we get rid of them?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Arlen Specter got to find out the meaning of term limits last night as he was soundly defeated by Joe Sestak last night in the Pennsylvania Democratic primary. He never won over the full trust of the Democrats, and his trying to save his own hide was very unpopular in a year in which people are very angry at career politicians.

Joe Sestak ran a good campaign, and the surge in his favor started a few months ago when he really started campaigning for the seat.

There was much sadness in Sen Specter's concession speech last night, and he looked very tired. It does seem unfortunate that his very illustrious career will be spotlighted by this defeat. I personally wish him well in his forced retirement.

top topics

join