It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has swine flu taught us something about potential mass hysteria, in relation to alien disclosure?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
We all here are laways going on about how humans today can handle this and that, and i have alwyas said that humans still cannot have this alien news or disclosure as they just cannot handle it yet.

I think this swine stuff has proven that i am still right on the alien issue, and mass hysteria still happens. Imagine what people would be like if aliens did come here, and we have seen for the last week, what people are like just because of a flu.

Summed up excellently in this vid that was in men in black.

What are your thoughts on disclosure now, i think this proves that we cannot still handle it, and i think the governments are right people are too stup1d for disclosure, especially a quick one, that is why it has to happen over a long time.

Your thoughts on it.

[edit on 5/3/2009 by andy1033]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I agree! People just panic over anything that poses a threat to their way of life. The swine flu is a great example at how pathetic people can get when faced with a situation they are not used to.

I knowPeople who had a cold and they automatically thought they were going to die, because this flu was going around. I had to calm them down stating that more people die of cancer, aids and other illness' everyday.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I am just totally amazed that someone who never believes in conspiricies has just asked me, if this was man made and put out there.

It just shows you that some people may be woken up by this and what governments do.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
IMO it's not the same thing.

The hypocondriacs is a disease. Is there any disease towards aliens? And it's the fault of the damn medias spreading fear for a disease. A disease, you can't see it, you can't touch it, you can't feel it. It's like death at every corner. It's the fear of the unknown + fear of death. You wouldn't have that with aliens if presented correctly.

If there were aliens presenting themselves with news making it a good thing, people wouldn't panic.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

How many people would think we were in danger, being a hypocondriac, is just the same, just someone who thinks they are in danger. There would be loads who could not handle it, and i think you know it. I think we have seen what a potential to do people harm on mass scale, shows how people react, they just cannot think.

I think the government are right on this mass hysteria stuff, and having to mass condition us to a reality of aliens.

[edit on 5/3/2009 by andy1033]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I think we can certainly draw parallels between the two. Fear of the unknown is a natural fight and flight mechanism. We all have it. Even apex predators get it in the right situation.

Given aliens are a vast unknown with the potential to cause us danger, I think the average human could react in unpredictable ways if there was a disclosure which included an introduction to the alien species.

Even the people who want disclosure and believe they can handle the truth are only imagining their reactions in an idealistic sense because it follows the assumption that the aliens will be almost exactly as they had imagined them to be. It's highly likely the aliens will not be IMHO.

IRM

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

hypochondria is a branch of phobias so there is the possibility that there are a few true cases of debilitating phobias due to fear of aliens but no where near the numbers of hypochondriacs as it has become it own complicated disease over the years.

A lot of my patients are hypochondriacs where i'd expect them to re act in a much different way then they have been to the swine flu I even prepared a bunch of safety packets and other things in case the anxiety became to much for them, even expected a few of them to need to hospitalized for their own safety, over all in the general public at least in my area I'm surprised at the lack of reaction to the swine flu, everyone I've come across seems to think it's no big deal and being blown out of proportion.
And I really haven't heard of any "mass hysteria" true to it's form happening anywhere in the world.

I think it would be harder for people to deal with aliens because it would make them question a lot of things, things that they have followed and believed their entire lives. This could cause anger and fear not just fear of the aliens themselves but fear of what their life will become when the cease to exist here on earth mostly for those who live on a faith based system.

I remember when I lived out in the boonies of the pine barrons and saw a UFO(not meaning it was alien or other wise simply it was something strange I've never seen before, and crashed into the woods, could have been anything) but my over active imagination started to take over and I started to think "oh god I've seen something I shouldn't have" and actually for a brief moment of insanity that they might come get me!
It's just hilarious to me I have to embrace my insanity and just laugh at it, but something like that on a large scale all over the world oh god, we'd be done for people would have stokes and massive heart attacks if they were all like me before the aliens could even inidicate what they are here for.
Aliens scare me the idea of them the possibility that they have more power and technology the lack of knowing their motives and so on it's like being locked in a room with a pit bull he has more power then you but you can not read his mind, does he want to rip your throat out or does he want to play go fetch and be pet?
You can't possibly know these things for sure until there is some kind of action that takes place until that defining action comes you really can't say.
But humans never lack to surprise me.
I can't wait till the day where we may find out, and can't wait to see all the interesting thread titles haha.

This is a really interesting post and really enjoy a lot of the peoples opinions and fews on this topic everyone is just so unique.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I've got to agree with Tommy Lee Jones. A Person can be smart, rational, and not act like a complete idiot, but people--together, can be quite the opposite. Not at all smart, completely irrational, and terribly idiotic.

If you were in a crowded area, such as a mall, club, concert, etc. and you knew that there was a fire:
You -Calmly but quickly find the nearest exit, and GET OUT. You make it out safely.

If everyone knew that there was a fire, there would be mass panic. People would get trampled, stomped on, crushed to death. Instincts would take over, and you would be more likely to go with the flow and act a fool.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'd just like to say I didn't see any mass hysteria... only in the media.

I work in central London, and having MSM reporting at least 100,000 possible deaths in London alone.... I didn't see one face mask, and everyone carried on as normal.... NO MASS HYSTERIA here. It was hardly even spoken about in my workplace.

So I know London can take disclosure... where is the mass hysteria being spoken of?

I don't think you can compare a life threatening flu to alien disclosure too.. but that's just my opinion.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The two cannot be compared in the least. To withhold information about something as critical as ets, the technology, and the knowledge they have, from the public that is their collective employer, to demean and treat the majority of human beings as lesser adults, children and slaves instead of in the manner their boss should be respected, so that a certain individuals may gain great advantages over others, is insulting, demeaning and unbearable. Disclosure is needed ASAP! Furthermore, are you a child that wishes to be told about the tooth fairy and santa clause by your "superiors", or an adult able to handle truth?

[edit on 3-5-2009 by mystiq]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
If disclosure came about naturally or otherwise then it would be the same chain of reactions humans have to any unpredicted event.

1. Shock
2. Fear
3. Curiosity

Then finally if the fears are founded everybody PANICS!!

If there is no danger then everybody will get back to living and ALIENS would be soooooooo yesterday.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by II HAL II
I'd just like to say I didn't see any mass hysteria... only in the media.

I work in central London, and having MSM reporting at least 100,000 possible deaths in London alone.... I didn't see one face mask, and everyone carried on as normal.... NO MASS HYSTERIA here. It was hardly even spoken about in my workplace.

So I know London can take disclosure... where is the mass hysteria being spoken of?

I don't think you can compare a life threatening flu to alien disclosure too.. but that's just my opinion.

I think maybe people in London are more used to change and always expect changes, because it's a city full of changes, and anything can happen, right?

But say a small town for example are much less used to changes and so on, so maybe they would panick more?

But I don't know, it's really up to the individual. But sometimes people do act differently than expected.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Not me, not many believers here on ATS, we are all ready for disclosure, I know for a 100% fact that aliens already exist, I've been ready for disclosure for so long now, since I was a small child first getting interested in UFOs. In fact, UFO was probably my first acronym that I ever actually learned. I've been ready for so long, I can't speak for the general population, however I'm sure most of ALL of ATS probably wouldn't panic in the slightest. The aliens I've come to know and love don't stick around Earth and don't have plans to make themselves known to the general population, and it has nothing at all to do with the government, they just don't stick around long enough to do so.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
No mass hysteria here either. I was wasn't bothered in the slightest by the reports...same old stuff we've see before with SARS, birdflu etc. I figure if my time is up - it's up. Not worth panicing about it.

A true pandemic would kill 1000s before you could say boo, possibly millions.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The mass hysteria is only because people are afraid of death ..it is the great unknown ...no one (NO ONE) can be 100 % sure of what happens beyond this life ...and that is scary .

When I was younger I wanted to die ...until I was faced with death then I was so scared of it that it changed my life (for the better ) .........even as a Christian and I feel sure of where I am going (my faith is strong) ......I still have to admit that when Sept 11 happened (which was an event that I knew was going to change things in our world ) I was once again fearful of death ....because that small part of me was scared to death that I may not be as ready as I thought I would be to die .....

And this flu ordeal is scary too because no one wants to go sickly ...I would like to just die in my sleep (as I am sure everyone would ) ....

And if in fact ET's did exist and were coming and the Gov does know and told us ..of course people will panic .....because they are not from this world (the one we think we know so much about ) ........and we have no clue as to who they are where they are from or what they want from us ..they could be coming to take us all as slaves or even worse .....kill us off .............

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The media showed us people all over wearing face masks. Told us that people were clogging the emergency rooms with their symptoms.

Living in a large metropolitan city, being out and about most of the day and never once saw a person with a face mask on.

Now, my take on the media event of the swine flu is it was a test to see how many people would put face masks on and flood the emergency rooms because of the media exposure on it.

Didn't happen here in the slightest.

Yes, people are sheeple en masse. But no one, imo, wanted to look ridiculous or be inconvenienced by putting on a mask.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
There is no 'mass hysteria' in relation to swine flu.
If anything - people are practically sleeping through this situation.
People aren't taking it seriously enough.

As for my prediction for Alien disclosure ... when it happens ....

- some will say it's 'long overdue'.
- some will say 'show me the proof'.
- some will say 'whatever' and continue as nothing has changed.
- some will say 'it's the devils deception'.

The reason I put that last one in is because I worked with a woman - Baptist - who said that aliens aren't in the bible and therefore they aren't real. It's all deception.

If disclosure happened, she'd have a meltdown.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Whether or not mass hysteria ensues as a result of ET disclosure depends on the circumstances of the disclosure. Comparing it to the Swine flu media coverage is apples to oranges.

Now, if the president came on TV, and said:
"Ladies and gentlemen, there is a fleet of extra-terrestrial space ships heading towards earth, and they're going to kill every man, woman and child when they get here in 3 days..."

then yes, you'd get your mass hysteria.

If, on the other hand, he said something like:
"Ladies and gentlemen, your government, as well as other governments around the world, have decided to make you aware of the positive existence of intelligent life outside our solar system..."

Get it? People are afraid of danger, not discovery. Sure you'd have your nut-cases here and there, and the ultra-religious would probably begin to question their entire lives, but mass-hysteria we would not have.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Prove hysteria about the flu.
I keep seeing people say it, and I see no evidence of this mass hysteria.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Its all about the media coverage and the way they cover the subject. If its a one off news article its fine. But if the subject is covered each and everyday people will start panicking, especially if the news can be portrayed as bad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join