It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we WANT to get H1N1 flu??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Since this IS a conspiracy website, and I haven't really seen anyone pose this as a possibility I thought I would throw it out here.

It is known the many theories that this is an engeenierd virus. It has all these parts from swine, avian and human flu. Some reports say it even has some insect parts to help it attach to different things (insects? I'm not even sure) helping it to spread.

But despite the reported serious illness and deaths reported in Mexico, which now seems to be reduced or maybe even attributed to a completely different strain of flu virus. (One that was included in this flu seasons vaccination.) There is only one reported death in the US. Which itself is suspect because the child falls into the normal age range of suspected mortality and also had preexisting health issues.

So far, everyone infected in the US has only gotten a mild case of the flu.

The Conspiracy

What if it was engeenierd? But it is not working as intended, or it is not a finished product. Or it was released too early, for whatever reason. And instead of killing people, it is only making them kinda sick.

So why such a strong reaction from WHO and CDC? Why all the fear mongering? Why all the extraordinary precautions to prevent the spread of a flu that is no worse, even less worse, than the ordinary flu we have every season that kills 30,000 to 40,000 a year?

We all know what happens when you get the flu, or a cold for that matter. You become immune to it. Just like with chickenpox and measles, and all the stuff we get vaccinations for.

What if they don't want us to get this strain because we will build up an immunity to it!!

Honestly, conspiracy or not, I am beginning to think that I WANT to get infected with this H1N1 whatever it is flu, while it is mild and from the sounds of it not as bad as a regular flu.

That way, if it does mutate into something worse (or something worse is released) I will have at least a partial immunity to it!

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by toepick
That way, if it does mutate into something worse (or something worse is released) I will have at least a partial immunity to it!

That's interesting - but I don't think you can really have a partial immunity to it... Your either immune or not (I'm no expert BTW). I would say as soon as it starts mutating away as it will then your just as vunerable as everyone else... And you could be even more vulnerable if your immune system is still trying to get back on it's feet.

Also if you do dose your self up then you will be helping to infect people close to you - would you want that responsibility?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by toepick

sounds like a good idea to me. besides that you can have your own cottage industry selling blood swarming with antibodies to people who need it once things get serious.

i'm with you in not understanding why all the fuss is about. I understand that this is a new strain that just jumped species, and its always better to err on the side of caution, but it seems just a bit overdone.

my usual assumption when something is over-hyped is that somebody wants funds to study it and fear generates funds. in this case it can also provide a drill for all the health organizations around to world to shake the bugs out of their procedures (I know that's a poor choice of words). in this country it's the ideal emergency for obama to ram home need for his health care bill (as yet unwritten but never mind since they won't read it anyway.) of course it's a great marketing tool for the drug companies. government has to stock millions of dose whether or not anybody uses them.

all in all, I can see no down side to you getting it now except that you might be asked to donate your blood as your patriotic duty (while drug companies are paid top dollar), and of course being the only survivor on earth might suck.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Remember, one of the theories put forth by scientist (sorry I don't have an exact link to this), that the US had fewer deaths was because we have built up immunities from years of flu vaccinations.

Now, not that I really believe the thinking behind that (because they are also saying that this is a totally new virus, and thats why we shoudl be so scard).

Frankly nothing they say really makes any sense or coraberates with anything else they say.

BUT, you do become immune to a virus once you get it. If I build up an immune to H1N1 while it is not that serious, if H1N1 comes alone with the right gene sequence in it that makes it worse, I will be immune.

As far as spreading it and putting others at risk, I say for the last 80 years of so we have all been putting each other at MUCH MORE risk with the normal everyday flu that kills 36,000 plus a year in the US alone.

If this doesn't kill anyone than I say I am really not putting anyone at risk for anything more than a little flu

So is that any worse than closing down entire school districts because of coule of flu cases?? When never in the history of US (that I can recall) they have gone to these lengths before??

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Yes you can be partially immune to diseases. I believe being immune to a strain of virus that is similar to a virus that has infected you makes it easier for your body to fight it off.
This article isn't about the H1N1 strain of flu, but it shows that there is partial immunity.
Partial Immunity

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neaux

Yes you can be partially immune to diseases. I believe being immune to a strain of virus that is similar to a virus that has infected you makes it easier for your body to fight it off.
This article isn't about the H1N1 strain of flu, but it shows that there is partial immunity.
Partial Immunity

Thank you for finding that! From said article:

If a flu pandemic develops on the basis of a mutation in the H5N1 virus, such partial immunity might limit the virulence of the disease, although it would probably not prevent infection, said Matthew Sandbulte, Ph.D., of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
It's not necessarily the mutation you should worry about, the virus can possibly come back resistant to effective treatments, and also it can come back in a second wave likely in the fall, far more resilient... Stronger, perhaps much more virulent and lethal.

If you get it now and survive, when or IF such a possible second wave comes then you would already have immunity to it.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
If you get it now, and have immunity when or IF such a possible second wave comes then you would already have immunity to it.

I think that was my overall point, whether its a mutation or whatever...getting it now while its nothing might be the better option.

And I would rather build a NATURAL immunity to something, than let them inject some kind of who knows what into my arm..that they rushed to make.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
That is interesting and all except there ARE people getting more than just "kind of sick" people have died from it.

Not nearly as much as how many have died from regular flu last year (36,000) but people have died from it, so I don't think this is something you want to go out and get on purpose.....

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Yes people have died from it, and we should remember that people die by the thousands every year from known influenza strains, or common flu.

I would in NO way suggest that anyone go out and intentionally expose themselves to this virus.

You all should know better.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I'm glad you brought this up. I was actually thinking that I would rather get it now before it mutates and perhaps have a slight chance of being immune to the mutated strain, or that I could then be able to have weaker symptoms of the mutated strain.

It's not something I haven't thought about. I'd also rather get it now while there is still Tamiflu and Relenza lying around.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

One person in the US, and now they think the deaths in Mexico could be altogether from another strain and not the A/H1N1 (see other ongoing threads on this).

But still..one person has died in the US, a child with previous health problems. EVERY SINGLE report is that people are getting a mild flu and recovering.

I don't suggest going out and intentionally getting sick, but I am personally more scared to get into my car and drive. Same death rate as flu (maybe even a lot higher depending on how you interpret CDC flu death statistics), but I do that every day!!

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I had just mentioned to my husband that same question. Seems if we in the USA catch this latest one going around, yes it's a pain, but it's not devastating and/or fatal to Americans (yet). If it mutates into something horrific, I do believe for those who already have had a mild version of it - their bodies' "cell mediated immunity" would actually bcome into play. Basically, they would not have the exact antibodies against a mutated version, but their cell-mediated immunity (non antibody-type immunity, but is VERY effective against viruses) would be trained to recognize this "swine" influenza derivative and any mutations and be able to fight it moreso than if they hadn't already had a previous flavor of it. So in a strange kind of way, getting a little touch of this latest "swine" derivative might actually not be a horrific thing. Like the old saying... What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I just made a thread about this and got it shut down since this one was first.

But I live in NYC and know a teacher from st francis prep he said all the students infected where fine 48 hours later and most after only 24hrs.

My thinking was the same, because with the 1918 flu it went around first and was not a big deal but once it made its way around the world and came back thats when it was highly lethal. So perhaps it would be wise to purposely infect oneself now and build up not so much an immunity but to get the body used to or familiar with this type of virus. So when it most likely comes back in the fall or winter much more lethal those previously infected are in better shape to handle the new virus.

SO anyone in the NY area up for a swine fl party? I am very serious about that by the way.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I don't do this very often, but told ya so!

NY Times

“We’re not seeing illness in the city right now,” Dr. Farley said at one session. “We’re seeing essentially no disease transmitted in the city. We had 750,000 to one million sick people last spring. We were the hardest-hit city then. So we have a lot of immune people right now.”

We were running tons of flu calls up where I am (northern NY) back around the start of this thing. Its always been my belief that H1N1 was making its rounds through the US before or around the same time it caught big attention in Mexico. But since it was so mild no one was looking for anything different.

It wasn't until Mexico and the possible deaths and screaming from the WHO/CDC that everyone in the world starting running to the hospitals and dr offices to get tested/treated because they were afraid.

new topics

top topics

join