It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials Confirm Swine Flu Has Infected Alberta Pigs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
There's no news articles on the net as of yet but there's a news briefing being held as I type this where it's been confirmed that pigs in Alberta (Canada) have been infected with H1N1 from a farmer who has recently returned from Mexico.

www.phac-aspc.gc.ca...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Snapshot from the news briefing.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

lol. a hillbillly-version of Australian english? To me that doesn't make sense, as I thought all Australians were hillbillys

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Here's the first article I could find. I'm sure there will be a ton more within the next hour.

Caseload grows in Canada, U.S.; officials say Canadian pigs infected

Indeed, as the caseload in Canada jumped from 51 to 85, government sources told The Canadian Press that officials were investigating cases of pigs in Alberta becoming infected by the H1N1 strain, the result of a farm worker who fell ill shortly after returning from a trip to Mexico.

It’s believed to be the first time this particular swine flu virus, which is made up of mutated swine flu genes, is believed to have jumped to humans sometime back and has since been passing person to person.

www.winnipegfreepress.com...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
An article from CBC.

Alberta pigs infected with swine flu, says top CFIA official

The human swine flu virus has infected pigs in Alberta, a top official with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency said Saturday.

Dr. Brian Evans, executive vice-president of the CFIA, said at a news conference in Ottawa that the pigs were infected by a farm worker who had recently been to Mexico and fell ill upon his return.

The worker returned from Mexico on April 12 and worked at the Alberta farm two days later. He "may have exposed pigs there to the illness," Evans said.

The man has since recovered. The pigs are also recovering and samples are being analyzed, he said.

"We have found the virus is the one being tracked in the human population," Evans said. He did not say how many pigs were affected and did not name the farm.

He reiterated that there is no risk of contracting the illness by consuming pork or coming in contact with pigs.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
reply to post by ZombieSlayer

The news conference is in Latin, I don't speak Latin, and besides, I thought Canadians spoke a hillbillly-version of Australian english.

[edit on 2-5-2009 by pluckynoonez]

Actually most of us speak "eskimo" and live in Igloos.

Any other stereotype you'd love to throw out while your here?

Anyway back to topic:

This is bound to happen, let the slaughter begin I guess. They'll do like in Egypt and kill them all and burn the meat. Now that the MSM has done a good job of killing the Porc market in the last few weeks, prompting the name change of this virus, I'm sure there's more of these to come.

Soon they'll say the local pigeons have the virus as well.

~Keeper

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

First the Beef market goes belly up ( because of BSE )
now the Pork industry catches the Flu ... next the chickens will re-molt and spread the Pox

Seriously... if this keeps up there wont be a meat industry in Alberta and we will absolutely have to rely on the energy industry because there is no money in commodity grains.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MonoChromeWrayth

I dunno about you, but here on the East Coast, there is nothing better than a fat 16oz Alberta Triple A Angus Steak. I will NEVER stop buying meat for some fear of catching a VIRUS that dies when I cook the meat.

~Keeper

[edit on 5/2/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
CNN has finally picked up the story.

Farmer may have given swine flu to pigs, Canada says

More than a week after the swine flu outbreak rattled the world, with cases of infected people popping up from Mexico to South Korea, the new virus strain has shown up in a herd of swine.

The catch, Canadian officials say, is that the animals may have caught the flu from a human.

Canadian officials on Saturday said they have quarantined pigs that tested positive for the virus -- scientifically known as 2009 H1N1 -- at an Alberta farm in what could be the first identified case of pigs infected during the recent outbreak. They said the pigs may have been infected by a Canadian farmer who recently returned from a trip to Mexico, the epicenter of the outbreak that has sickened nearly 660 people.

The farmer "may have exposed swine on the farm to an influenza virus," said Dr. Brian Evans of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Looks like the price of Canadian Bacon might have a significant spike, hu?

Considering they'll start a mass slaughter.........poor little piggies.

Well, ladies and gentemen, and aliens, we have our first case.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I just had a horrible thought. What if the passing of this to pigs causes the deadly mutation everyone is fearing. Yikes !

[edit on 2-5-2009 by sickofitall2012]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben Niceknowinya

The price of pork I would think would stay the same then, as I heard it was already going down because of the swine flu fear. So, kill some pigs, and it goes back up again, genius! Although the idea of this kind of sickens me. Everytime in BC that one chicken somewhere gets bird flu, they would kill almost every chicken within ten miles or so, thousands and thousands of them. I get that it has to be done to stop the spread of the virus, but I never liked the idea of killing something I wasn't going to eat, so much waste.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Oh really. They really like to ham this up, pardon the pun! But I'm really angry right now. They've murdered people in cold blood. I believe these pigs were deliberately contaminated by TPTB.

Oh while we're all being so distracted, and having our economies crushed, the EU is pushing a bill to gut and destroy the free internet, on May 5th of all times:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
They plan on tearing it up into little overpriced packages that you can chose small plans from that only cover a few places, with everything else off limits!

WE MUST BE MAKING A HUGE DENT IN THEIR AGENDA'S!!!!!

But its time to fight them tooth and nail for the internet.

top topics

join