It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone actually play Wii games?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Since the phenomenon known as the Wii occurred, it seems to me the only "games" for this console are of the type for either small kids and/or their grandmas, with very few exceptions. Can anyone justify owning one of these consoles if they don't fit the stereotype of "casual" gamer?

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by kitken01

It depends on what type of game suits your interest. I've played several for it and I thought the gameplay and controls were excellent. When I initially heard of the Wii, I wasn't really interested in it. I have one here and the Sports games are excellent for it and the Mario Party games are always a lot of fun. For more action oriented games, I haven't engaged any of them enough to have an informed opinion, but I guess it would boil down to what it is you were looking to get from it.

It's certainly not for everybody, but it is a system with a lot of appeal that has managed to separate itself from Microsoft & Sony.

I really enjoy it.

That being said, I'd buy a game for the PS3 before I would the Wii.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Because the Wii was designed especially for seniors.

One of the big conumer groups games can't reach is seniors, and females in their 20s and 30s.

Nintendo took a big gamble and decided to come up with a game console for seniors. That is why the games and the controllers are easy. So it is less intimidating.

I don't think ever in their wildest dreams did they predict it would be huge. But the easiness makes it great for kids.And those who are not game saavy.

I figured it would take off just for that reason, but not to this extent.

And they even got smarter by making it an exercise machine. To make it fun so people can interact.

And people who have never touched a game machine before like it because they can use it.

Brilliant.

[edit on 2-5-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I have one, play it pretty often. Love the Wii bowling and play it with my folks, my mom is good at it.
I play Metroid Prime 3 on it, as well as Zelda, and of course Super smash brothers. It also plays Game Cube games so that's a good thing, as I've never owned a Game Cube. =P

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

My favorite Wii game is called "Kick Nixie_Nox's Butt for Calling Me a Senior"

I've got one, and we've had quite a cross section of age groups that really enjoy it. But yeah, for serious, hard core gamers the console itself might be a little light on technology. It's the controllers that set the Wii apart.

[edit on 2-5-2009 by spacedoubt]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Because the Wii was designed especially for seniors.

One of the big conumer groups games can't reach is seniors, and females in their 20s and 30s.

Nintendo took a big gamble and decided to come up with a game console for seniors. That is why the games and the controllers are easy. So it is less intimidating.

I don't think ever in their wildest dreams did they predict it would be huge. But the easiness makes it great for kids.And those who are not game saavy.

I figured it would take off just for that reason, but not to this extent.

And they even got smarter by making it an exercise machine. To make it fun so people can interact.

And people who have never touched a game machine before like it because they can use it.

Brilliant.

[edit on 2-5-2009 by nixie_nox]

You are exactly right. My grandmothers nursing home has one for the residents there. I have asked, if any of them had played video games before. Most of them said no and a few said that they tried to play one of their grandkids system such as play station or xbox but it was just over their head.

I see them atleast once a week playing wii games like bowling for example. It is good for them physically and mentally.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I have a Wii. I played it ALOT for a LONG time. It has been on the back burner recently as i went out and bought a 1080p Plasma, Sound System and a PS3.

I was the demographic for the Wii (people that don't HD) and i loved it. Now i am in the HD demographic so most of the games i buy now are PS3 games.

In NO WAY would i say the Wii is an old person system. It just happens to be a system that can appeal to the older generation.

My grandparents would have NO IDEA how to mash a control stick while inputting X,O and double tap R2 to do a great bowl in bowling, however, they do know how to actually bowl the ball with the motions like you can on the Wii.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I loved the Puzzle Quest game. I still play it though I have completed the game. I don't know why the delay for the one called Galactrix.

I am chopping at the bit. I hope it is worth it.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Almost forgot!

I think I might be the oldest Guitar Hero junkie and I play it on Wii.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I'm a serious gamer and I far prefer the Wii over those same old consoles that haven't changed design in years.

The PS and Xbox controllers are so 2001.

The Wii has plenty of serious games for serious gamers. The Brothers in Arms series, Call of Duty series, Resident Evil 4, Madworld, House of the Dead series, Dead Rising series, etc.

The console isn't just for kiddies.

It is just that XBox and PS fanboys refuse to actually research the Wii. They just label it as childish because it was made by Nintendo.

Why move joysticks and mash buttons on those consoles when you can take a game like Brothers in Arms and actually aim and shoot a the screen? Even attach the tommy-gun attachment available to the controller and go nuts.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I love playing Zelda and the link crossbow game. I especially like the wii zapper makes it better to have something that looks similar to a weapon in your hands than a regular controller.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Ok, playing a Star Wars game where I can actually swing a lightsaber and do an actual force push with my hand is WAY better than it would be on XBox...even if the Wii graphics aren't as good....

Also, try finding a 4 player game for XBox or PS3...good luck... I can have friends over, put a variety of games in, and we can all participate with nobody left out....(The Raving Rabbits series of games are a lot of fun to play with a group)....

Wii Fit is pretty cool, and as an aging fart...I love playing some of the older classic games you can get online...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I highly enjoy playing "Wii Sorts" and "Wii Play."

Particular the Golfing and Bowling games. Golfing is by far my favorite. I really don't enjoy it all that much in real life, but in the pixelated form, I love it, haha...

new topics

top topics

join