It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2009 Will Be Year of Global Food Crisis

page: 1.
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   

There are many unintended consequences arising from the housing boom and its collapse into the credit crunch. One of the worst and most lethal will be this year's global food crisis. The drying up of credit available to farmers is hampering their ability to respond to the global drought crisis hitting many countries, including China, Australia, and the US. This is placing the food security of hundreds of millions of people into jeopardy.
Governments will be pushed into fighting hard to retain their currency valuations as they try to maintain their purchase over food on the global markets. When a country's currency drops, it forces farmers to export food for profit, and makes importing food very expensive. The incentive for governments is to keep currencies strong to keep food local and imports cheap.www.nowpublic.com...

Food shortage + financial crisis = bleak outlook

blogs.reuters.com...

The agricultural apocalypse and the upcoming food shortage.

www.nowpublic.com...

Catastrophic Fall in Global Food Production

www.chrismartenson.com...

[edit on 2-5-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The United States does not seem to be exempt from the upcoming food shortage crisis. We are experiencing, rising unemployment, weather patterns that are destroying our agriculture, including droughts and floods.

We have unpredictable natural disasters, wars and pestilence right at our door. Our food supply is not as secure as we think .

We are using more land to create the world’s biofuels industry. This crisis shows no signs of weakening.

Food is fast becoming the gold and platinum of the Twenty-first century.

What worries me is that food stockpiles are at historic lows. In the United States alone, stockpiles of wheat hit a 60-year low in the United States as prices soared. Almost all other commodities, from rice and soybeans to sugar and corn, have posted triple-digit price increases in the past year or two.

We need to worry about increasing food based POLITICAL instability, in the world today. The world is too engrossed in other political and current news events the security of our food is going unnoticed.

We must understand that this situation is not sustainable. While we do have more disposable income than the rest of the word, that income is not unlimited and our food supply is much more vulnerable than we think.

Do they think we are blind?? Will this cause riots? Increased crime rates? Should we be proactive on this or wait until SHTF?

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
very good find, star and flag for you.

I did not know until now that there are some problems with food production itself (except certain countries).

it is pretty important factor when you consider possible summer riots and the economical collapse.

I knew we are eating monsanto s### but would not belive that there is not enough of it. thanks again.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by czacza1
very good find, star and flag for you.

I did not know until now that there are some problems with food production itself (except certain countries).

it is pretty important factor when you consider possible summer riots and the economical collapse.

I knew we are eating monsanto s### but would not belive that there is not enough of it. thanks again.

Thank you. It's not only 2009 I worry about but 2010 and beyond.

We do have an overpopulation problem. It makes me wonder about other current events and how they interact.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
With the news now of the flu outbreak we will soon be seeing the prices of food going up. The reasons are #1 they know many folks will start getting scared and will want to stay at home rather then running to the store almost daily. I personally have bought up alot of rice, and pastas. But that was when we heard there would be an economic crisis. Strange how I prepared for that before some prices went wild.

But we also need to realize that if it gets worse then they may close off our borders for anything coming or going. As of right now this country can not sustain itself. Since 70% of what we eat is imported. I bought an extra 4 cans of coffee the other day. Since 90% of our coffee comes in through Mexico. I am sure the prices will skyrocket soon for coffee, and it will also get scarse if this continues. Coffee is only one thing that comes through that border. Once we start closing it off we will see tons of foods not being in the stores.

The US government has made it harder even on the local farms that had road side stands, so believe it or not, all in all we will see shortages.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld

What makes you think that??

There is still such a surplus on food production going on that you could throw away a third of it and there wouldn't be any shortages.

And if you can't get enough food in the store just grow the damn thing in the back yard....

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by pmbhuntress
With the news now of the flu outbreak we will soon be seeing the prices of food going up. The reasons are #1 they know many folks will start getting scared and will want to stay at home rather then running to the store almost daily. I personally have bought up alot of rice, and pastas. But that was when we heard there would be an economic crisis. Strange how I prepared for that before some prices went wild.

But we also need to realize that if it gets worse then they may close off our borders for anything coming or going. As of right now this country can not sustain itself. Since 70% of what we eat is imported. I bought an extra 4 cans of coffee the other day. Since 90% of our coffee comes in through Mexico. I am sure the prices will skyrocket soon for coffee, and it will also get scarse if this continues. Coffee is only one thing that comes through that border. Once we start closing it off we will see tons of foods not being in the stores.

The US government has made it harder even on the local farms that had road side stands, so believe it or not, all in all we will see shortages.

Yes, what a coincidence isn’t it? We are in the worst recession since the Great Depression, people are dying off like flies, we have several wars going on at once. Martial Law is at our door.

Thanks for reminding me to pick up some coffee today. I, as well am prepared with my stockpile. I will go out and stock up on meat today. I will also be using hand sanitizer on my shopping cart handle and also when I leave.

You’ve made a good point about food imports. I’m sure rice will also skyrocket. Economists have been worried about deflation. I expect before 2010 we see hyperinflation.

Since the fall of Lehman and the fear mongering about the economy hasnt worked I'm susptious, as to their motives. Perhaps they want a total economic collapse.

Kind of like the guy who maxes out his credit cards intentionally then files for Bankruptcy.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by thegreatobserver

Originally posted by wonderworld

What makes you think that??

There is still such a surplus on food production going on that you could throw away a third of it and there wouldn't be any shortages.

And if you can't get enough food in the store just grow the damn thing in the back yard....

Well the possibility of hyperinflation makes me think that, tougher laws on agriculture, I think I covered it in my comments post, several other reasons.

You have a point. I expect to see a lot more people growing their own food. I happened to have order bulk nonhybrid garden seeds and have them preserved.

I may also buy some laying hens and a milking goat.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
HI there! Star and flag!
Wanted to add this here:

Could Food Shortages Bring Down Civilization?

www.scientificamerican.com...
The sooner we become self sufficient the better! IMO
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Agriculture is highly sensitive to climate variability and weather extremes, such as droughts, floods and severe storms. The forces that shape our climate are also critical to farm productivity.

www.epa.gov...
I can tell you this change is happening. One of my jobs is farming.
More good links here: survivalacres.com...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I don't know. Food prices at walmart keep dropping!!

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

dodadoom those are some excellent links. Thank You!

I thought one was quite interesting stating climate change means global famine showing the correlating temps. On top of this we have got slammed with tougher regulations on the farming community.

I’m curious to see how the next generation will cope and survive. I do feel bad for my children’s future. It will be quite different from ours. The economic burden alone we will pass on to them is disturbing.

They may indeed face a famine, if it doesnt happen before then. I'm thinking it's more likely than not.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

Important Topic! This is going to be a key issue in the years to come!

Experts: Global Food Shortages Could ‘Continue for Decades'
www.marketoracle.co.uk...

Good information here also from Jim Rogers

www.thefinancialtube.com...

www.dailynewscaster.com...

jimrogers1.blogspot.com...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I've written a few threads on the upcoming food shortages as well. There are also environmental issues that are contributing to this. As well as water rights issues.

But as I said in a previous thread about this very topic...I don't care about food shortages because I have a gun that says I'm eating.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I do believe that one thing that most Americans dont realize is all of that surplus food that the government use to keep is now gone. There is no more left. When Bush was in office he sent the last of it over seas. So for the folks that believe if there is a crisis that the government will feed them, they are dead wrong.

I believe that a food Crisis will only be the begining. We have to realize that almost everything now is imported. That includes our oil, clothes, food, TV's, cars, basiclly everything we buy at the local stores.

So be expecting the crisis to be more then just food if they close up borders or anything else.

Food will be the hardest part for most of us. The worst part is all of this stuff is happening just before the 2012 solar activity, when that happens expect for it to be 50 Xs worse.

I happen to be lucky, Figuring I have guns so I can go hunting when the going gets rough. But those in cities are not lucky at all. I also make sure to grow a few things yearly. But its still not enough to feed the family for a year.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I've written a few threads on the upcoming food shortages as well. There are also environmental issues that are contributing to this. As well as water rights issues.

But as I said in a previous thread about this very topic...I don't care about food shortages because I have a gun that says I'm eating.

Ive read about this quite a bit in 2007 and it appeared that, since there has not been much updated information about it.

It seemed to taken the back burner to other global events.

I'll check out your threads. You can also link them directly on mine if you like. The more knowledge the better.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by burntheships

Important Topic! This is going to be a key issue in the years to come!

Experts: Global Food Shortages Could ‘Continue for Decades'
www.marketoracle.co.uk...

Good information here also from Jim Rogers

www.thefinancialtube.com...

www.dailynewscaster.com...

jimrogers1.blogspot.com...

Hey I like your new avatar, how appropriate!

I'm glad to see others have an interest in this subject. It seems to have got swept under the table. Thank You for those important links.

I'm hoping all goes well with the agriculture and farming business's this year. No droughts , floods, Locusts or other natural disasters. We’ll have to wait and see the summer’s weather pattern around the world.

We'll also need to keep an eye on other negative factors, that will impact food prices and availability.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by pmbhuntress
I do believe that one thing that most Americans dont realize is all of that surplus food that the government use to keep is now gone. There is no more left. When Bush was in office he sent the last of it over seas. So for the folks that believe if there is a crisis that the government will feed them, they are dead wrong.

I believe that a food Crisis will only be the begining. We have to realize that almost everything now is imported. That includes our oil, clothes, food, TV's, cars, basiclly everything we buy at the local stores.

So be expecting the crisis to be more then just food if they close up borders or anything else.

Food will be the hardest part for most of us. The worst part is all of this stuff is happening just before the 2012 solar activity, when that happens expect for it to be 50 Xs worse.

I happen to be lucky, Figuring I have guns so I can go hunting when the going gets rough. But those in cities are not lucky at all. I also make sure to grow a few things yearly. But its still not enough to feed the family for a year.

I agree, as you do that people dont realize is all of that surplus food that the government use to keep is now gone. Most dont even believe there is a food crisis coming.

Yes it will have a trickle down effect on everything else. Prices around the globe will syrocket.

With the current spending spree taken of by the governments around the world I expect hyperinflation to hit by 2010.

People in the US havent experienced food rationing since the Great Depression and most are blind. They dont expect anything to change they go about business as usual and refuse to listen to gloom and doom possibilities.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
the following thread is from february

www.abovetopsecret.com...

it's an issue that could get very ugly very soon, but it's for all intents and purposes, a complete snoozer, even on a CT board. famine aiN#t sexy enough, only barbed wire and martial law will arouse people.

as if these things weren't connected!

S/F for all it's worth.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
There's a couple of things you have to realize. "Starvation" does not always equate with death (it will eventually), it means not getting enough calories. Currently, it is estimated that something like 700 million people worldwide are starving.

About 30% of US grain is diverted to making biofuels. We have no more stockpiles, that's why food banks are hurting. There are no more warehouses stuffed with cheese or silos full of wheat.

We export enormous amounts of grain to Japan, Europe and South America. Japan would never be able to grow it's own food, doubtful that Europe could as well given the climate.

There was a worldwide rice shortage in 2007 and 2008, people were rioting. The majority of the world's population subsists (and I mean subsists) on rice. So if grain from the US was not available, then it is likely that Japan would start relying on rice more. It has a trickle down effect, with demand increasing cost and even a few pennies increase would result in starvation of the poorest of the poor. When your diet consists of one bowl of rice a day and a few vegetables, it's difficult to cut back.

In developed countries, the same thing happens. Imagine a perfect storm of more people needing help, a reduction in social systems and an increase in food prices. While many can afford to cut back, the poorest of the poor cannot.

There is the societal code of conduct which we agree that crime is bad and should be punished, but when people resort to theft to feed themselves or their children, the issue becomes less clear. People who would never think of stealing a car would have no problem breaking into your home to get food. We're going to see an increase in crime.

What happens when this global drought means the US stops exporting say half it's usual shipments? What do governments do when millions are starving and there's no way to feed them?

I think we all know the answer, because it's exactly what we do to protect our fuel resources.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance
the following thread is from february

www.abovetopsecret.com...

it's an issue that could get very ugly very soon, but it's for all intents and purposes, a complete snoozer, even on a CT board. famine aiN#t sexy enough, only barbed wire and martial law will arouse people.

as if these things weren't connected!

S/F for all it's worth.

Thank you. I, as well am concerned that more people dont take heed to the warnings.

Most tend to take it for granted that food will always be there, without social or foreign implications. Youre right and people here in the US and EU dont consider the word "Famine" in our countries.

You have a valid point that it may require barbed wire, martial law and military tanks outside of grocery stores, before they take notice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join