It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

nearby asteroid '2009 HC82' found orbiting sun backwards

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Wow another asteroid thread, I originally came to ATS because of a similar thread although like all things on ATS or CIA whatever, you become saturated by it and begin not to bother in in fact think... ohhh an asteroid.. again?? Get yourself somewhere to run in case of DSHTF, some supplies in case of emergencies, some guns for a hoot out, then sit back and enjoy, give your other half a seeing to, read a good book, adopt a pet or grow a plant. ATS has taught me one thing, death is coming and bastards are around every corner ready to kill you... but in the mean time lets all chill out.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
2012, 2012, 2012.

Seems I hear this everywhere.

Not just in ancient stone tablets.

But more commonly around things from, this asteroids pathway at us in april. Among i'm sure tons of others I can't think of right now.

If you could see me my eyebrows are raised.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
If we wanted to leave something behind (should we become extinct)that might be found by future intelligent Earth civilizations this would be a good way to do it. Put something in opposite orbit near earth so it would be detected and studied once a civilization is advanced enough to do so.

Maybe its a time capsule!

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
A 3km time capsule?

Nice find OP, def going to look out for this one when the time comes around

[edit on 2/5/2009 by Kliskey]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Interesting stuff

Well it was really close January 10 1999. If you consider 12,281,995 KM close.

This is 31.95 or just say 32 times the distance from the earth to the moon (388,403km). In the mind numbing hugeness of space that's pretty close IMO.

More on the orbit.

Comets, which originate on the outer fringes of the solar system, are much more likely to have retrograde orbits than asteroids. In part, this is because passing stars or planets can kick them out of their original orbits and onto unusual paths, bringing them into the inner solar system, where we tend to see them.

Some retrograde asteroids may in fact be burnt-out comets, says Brian Marsden of the Minor Planet Center. The size and shape of the new asteroid's orbit "is very like Encke's comet except for inclination," he told New Scientist, although it shows no sign of a cometary tail.

The calculated orbit is the best fit to the available observations, but small observational errors could make a big difference in that calculation. "I'd feel happier about it if we get some more observations," says Marsden.

The asteroid is now far beyond Mars, but its orbit periodically brings it fairly close to Earth. "It should have been easily observable in 2000," says Marsden. "Why wasn't it seen then?" He hopes new observations will answer that question.

NewScientist

IF it is a burned out comet as suggested it may be by the story then my question is why didn't we see it before? I mean if it is so shocking that we didn't notice it last time or how many times before that, wouldn't it be more surprising that we didn't notice a comet that would probably be seen with the naked eye?

The thing that really bothers me is how easily a planet killer or other asteroid of Hollywood style devestation can sneak up on us!

We really are just sitting ducks, aren't we?

edit:fixed link

[edit on 5/2/2009 by AlienChaser]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Haha, why did it have to come again in 2012?! Why couldn't it have been 2013 or 2014?

You're right it's going to cause another rash of Nibiru threads. I can't wait. LOL.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
It looks like it will strike Venus on June 22, 2015.

The two dots look like they merge on that day and year. Otherwise, they just fly by real close?

I wonder how that would affect the planet's atmosphere, if it should hit?

EDIT: Nevermind. They just get real close to each other. Darn my bad eyes!

[edit on 2-5-2009 by FreddyAuratus]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Java orbit diagram of HC82 you can play with HERE

Side note to republican08

2012, 2012, 2012.

Seems I hear this everywhere.

Me too, it pops up everywhere. It really does I mean all these seemingly random things, and pow theres that number again, I wonder if it isn't just so simple as were noticing it because of the stigma it has developed or is there really something to it?

Note: After calculating the distance based on numbers posted here, then re-reading this part of the story

calculated it orbits the sun every 3.39 years on a path that ventures within 3.5 million km

link

It actually comes within 9 times the distance from the earth to the moon, which is a lot closer and even more shocking that we have never spotted it before. I'm not afraid of hit hitting us but why haven't we seen it before? ever?

lozenge

kinda reminds me what Alex Collier and Robert MorningSky say about alien space stations - they carve out asteroids and turn them into mobile space bases.

All possibilities are open for thought my friend, I don't think it's as far fetched an idea as some others undoubtedly will.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
It is unbelieveable the things slated to happen around the year 2012, if nothing else it will make for a VERY exciting time to be alive nomatter what your interests are.

As for this anomaly, I suppose they may have seen this before but in those days kept even more hush hush these types of NEO's so as not to cause panic to the fragile minds of the masses, lol.

As far as being a balance in all things it would only stand to reason that planets and other astral bodies in retrograde would also exist.

Interesting that you think people may interpret this as Nebiru...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
Below you can calculate the path of the asteroid

The last time it was "close" was around April 26 1999 (HOW could they have missed it???)

Next close one will be around April 20 2012

see for yourself:

asteroid path calculator

That's about all I could find on this for now. I'm not an expert on the topic (just thought it was interesting), but I'm curious about what other people with more expertise think about it

[edit on 2-5-2009 by GypsK]

whoa add another one ot the 2012 colage of events..

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

Maybe it's not an 'asteroid' ...

You mean it's that Hasslbad camera left in orbit ?

A new York refuse barge lost it's way ?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
If you believe the "Dark Rift" theory which seems more and more plausible the more I look into it, then as we approach the "Galactic Plane" where the gravity from the black hole at the center of the Milky Way flattens out to a disk. The more asteroids and such from outside our solar system will enter as we near 2012 and beyond. The disk of gravity captures a lot of debris left over from the formation of the Milky Way.

If the above is true it could offer an explanation as to why we haven't seen this particular one before. Although beit, the universe is a big ass place and we can't watch it all.

We are so insignificant and fragile when you think of the real big picture.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Here is asteroid radar. Sorry bad quality.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Good one S&F :-)
They think they "know it all" but here we can see again that they don`t.
Every time i see something like this, i always think that this maybe will get them to wake up a bit.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
I wonder how many times it will be mistaken for Nibiru in 2012

I bet we see a thread on here dedicated to it!

IRM

Haha, Exactly what I was thinking.

Also as soon as they said "2012" I thought "oh lord" thinking of how all the people that would be saying "oh my god this is going to be the asteroid to end the world!!!" but since we can get a close look at its path and exactly where it will be we don't have to go through that, but if we didn't have that source at our hands I am sure it would have been labeled to be some dooms day event.

They'll find some way to put a spin on this, and since it wasn't seen the first time around it's going to be "suspicious" to them.

Also, thanks for posting OP this is a great read.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Hey,just think,
all it would take is a solar disruption..
or a minor collision with another asteroid..
or interference by aliens..
or a miscalculation by scientists..
or a gravitational disruption by a mini-black-hole..

And this thing would be on a HEAD ON COLLISION WITH EARTH!!!!!!!

That's it..I'm definitely buying a new hat.

Great find
I love anomalies.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Using that program it says its getting farther away, no one should be worried bout this thing. At the whopping size of 2-3 KM I will
at anyone calling this Nibiru.. luckily i don't think it will even be visible to most people. Really being that small even if it was to become a threat we could destroy it or find a way to alter its orbit before it would hit us. Something that is .3 AU away is not really close.. we had a asteroid 1.2 LD away a month ago. That is just a little under over the distance from here to our moon (1 LD = 384,000 Miles). It was just a lil baby 15m-33m not really a threat. Also had a .5 LD in February..

Very small rocks but the later was also not discovered till 2 days AFTER it passed us. The reason for this was it was coming from the sun.. making observing it harder, maybe impossible, for the observatory's that are looking for them. I'm no expert but it could have been the same thing in 1999 for this one as well.. or due to the weird orbit that goes above and below the planets orbits, that would make it easier viewed at the south or north poles.

On the "dark rift" theory.. well if you look at the total number of asteroids found, each year that number goes up and up. Of course this could be to more observers, better technology etc. Or it could be a byproduct of entering the "dark rift". A new object introduced to our solar system can get caught in the sun or other planets gravity and form a orbit depending on a number of factors, its mass, distance from the sun etc. We been adding around 400 "near earth" objects a year. Who knows how many others pass through. Maybe were "picking some up" on the way.. it is possible.

Source

Look at the last graph there it gives a better perspective.. I really hope its the technology that's been making this HUGE jump sense around the year 2000.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by SecretUsername]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I heard on Coast to Coast that given enough warning on an object that it could one day be possible to attach a heavy object(say 3 tons) via a tether to the offending asteroid and the increase in mass due to this heavy object being attached to the asteroid would alter it's orbit enough to miss us.

Use google earth astronomy part and look at the Milky Way zoomed out. You can see the "Dark Rift". The reason it's soo dark compared to the rest is that there is tons of debris there blocking light from getting through.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
If memory serves me correctly, we have only began mapping and tracking these asteroids that orbit in our vicinity for a little over ten years now, so we are still learning. Being that this object has such an odd orbit, it makes perfect sense that it took awhile for it to be discovered.

It sure is a recent discovery. If it is some spaceship, then it will most likely be changing directions in the not too distant time frame. As a spaceship, it certainly does seem to have a pretty good angle on the Earth, but I would suspect that it would be approaching from the outside of our orbit, not heading towards the inside of our orbit as it is. Maybe they plan on attacking Venus, which houses some secret civilization that has kept itself hidden from us.

Another perspective that no one else has covered yet, that I thought I might as well add, is that the orbit of Venus, our closest neighbor, is about 25 Million miles inside of our own.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I know the whole Nibiru topic is pretty much taboo, then again so is most of this forum
, but this makes two objects being hurled at us at an odd angle and clockwise elliptical orbit.

Here's the other one which is a comet:

news.aol.com...

But, a massive object like a Dwarf Star would most likely hurl celestial objects toward us. Also coincidental, Nibiru is supposed to have a retrograde orbit also.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join