It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Tacit Approval of Torture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
There have been a few threads about prosecuting the Bush Administration for torture and other things.

I came across this article and decided to post it to get your thoughts.

www.newsweek.com...

"Unlike the Japanese internment, waterboarding was ordered and served up in secret. But it, too, was America's policy—not just Dick Cheney's. Congress was informed about what was happening and raised no objection. The public knew, too. By 2003, if you didn't understand that the United States was inflicting torture upon those deemed enemy combatants, you weren't paying much attention. This is part of what makes applying a criminal-justice model to those most directly responsible such a bad idea. The issue we need to come to terms with is not just who in the Bush administration did what, but our collective complicity in their decision".

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Oh, brother.

Waterboarding is used in training our own troops. Most members of the military in their own training, especially Marine recruits and UDT trainees, etc., have undergone treatment that is worse than what these unlawful combatants have been subjected to.

Our enemies don't need Tokyo Roses or Hanoi Hannahs anymore. They have the American media to do their propaganda for them.

Newsweek sucks.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I too am getting so tired of this water boarding #..I mean come on people need to get over this conception that the world is full of peaches and cream..Some dirty things need to be done to ditry people to protect our country..I would rather hear an argument on dropping fat man on Japan...

In a perfect world we wouldnt have to resort on such a thing but we dont live in a perfect world..

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
There have been a few threads about prosecuting the Bush Administration for torture and other things.

I came across this article and decided to post it to get your thoughts.

www.newsweek.com...

"Unlike the Japanese internment, waterboarding was ordered and served up in secret. But it, too, was America's policy—not just Dick Cheney's. Congress was informed about what was happening and raised no objection. The public knew, too. By 2003, if you didn't understand that the United States was inflicting torture upon those deemed enemy combatants, you weren't paying much attention. This is part of what makes applying a criminal-justice model to those most directly responsible such a bad idea. The issue we need to come to terms with is not just who in the Bush administration did what, but our collective complicity in their decision".

If you can't disobey an order from a superior officer and you are being ordered to torture people, then the responsibility lies with the superior officers all the way up to Cheney. Nazis were hung for their atrocities at Nuremberg, and Dick Cheney should be prosecuted for his human rights violations as well.

Originally posted by Redpillblues
I too am getting so tired of this water boarding #..I mean come on people need to get over this conception that the world is full of peaches and cream..Some dirty things need to be done to ditry people to protect our country..I would rather hear an argument on dropping fat man on Japan...

In a perfect world we wouldnt have to resort on such a thing but we dont live in a perfect world..

Waterboarding is not the only form of torture that was used. Dick Cheney wants you to believe that they only waterboard which is why he blocked an FOIA request to release the torture photos. Some of them were leaked, however. Please see these threads for the kind of REAL TORTURE that was being done, not just waterboarding.

Here Are a Few of the Torture Photos Obama Doesn't Want You To See

Hersh: Children sodomized at Abu Ghraib, on tape

If they weren't trying to hide anything why would they block FOIA requests?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Basically the American people would NEVER APPROVE OF TORTURE if they actually KNEW WHAT WAS GOING ON.

But they don't know what is going on because THE INFORMATION IS BEING DELIBERATELY HIDDEN FROM THEM.

new topics

top topics

join