It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Identity thieves get reprive as FTC backs off Red Flags rules again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Identity thieves get reprive as FTC backs off Red Flags rules again

www.networkworld.com

While the Federal Trade Commission does a lot of posturing about how it help consumers protect their valuable personal information, through laws and education, the agency has for the second time in less than a year delayed enforcement of its key identity theft rules until August.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-5-2009 by TheAssociate]

edit to fix title

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Seems the Federal Trade Commission is taking a break from combating identity theft. Apparently the measures cost too much and they "haven't had time" to prepare for them. Oh well, it's only our identities at stake, I suppose it can stand to wait a bit...

Why can't the FTC get its act together on this? Identity thieves aren't going to delay their efforts, those in charge of protecting our information shouldn't delay efforts to stop them.

TA

www.networkworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

The FTC stated that it would delay enforcement of the new "Red Flags Rule" until August 1, 2009, to give creditors and financial institutions more time to develop and implement written identity theft prevention programs.

Shouldn't they have done that a long, long time ago? Identity theft is not a new concept. These people should have taken an initiative against it well before the original date set to implement these rules.

TA

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Well my friend lets break this down a bit...what does an Identity Theif do?

They spend money, in fact as much money as they can steal using that Identity. Does this hurt the economy?

No! We live in a commerce based society where any sale is a good sale when someone pays for it. Who cares if the someone who pays for it is not the person who bought it and never authorized the sale?

Basically just the person who is left on the hook for it, the Identity Theft Victim.

In fact commerce is such an opportunistic thing that there are businesses that will help you get your identiy back...for a fee. Gee isn't that swell you get to pay some more money for having been swindled.

There are businesses that will help you not have your Identity Stolen...well now where would they be if all the Identity Theives were in jail and or there was no Identity Theft...out of business.

Doesn't surprise me at all that the FTC is dragging their feet on this.

Even though the banks are ultimately left footing the bill, remember banks don't have to do wise things, just have unwise politicians willing to bail them out with a few billion here and there.

What a world huh?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Nicely said!

But I don't believe it's actually commerce that represents the problem, per se. I think it's people.

It always boils down to people. Assuming all transactions are done by mathematical calculation; how hard have we made it to balance the economy? It's not that we lack the means, we lack the will. In the end, even the most egalitarian ideology falls prey to the weaknesses of people. We are too easily fooled, too easily manipulated, and too fractious to come together and stop the artificial conditions that create suffering (which leads to hate, which leads to... - sorry - cheeky I know).

It is possible that we can overcome these obstacles, heck, anything is possible. But we don't seem to be trying.

People get greedy, and those nearest to them allow it. People lust for power, and those nearest them give it to them. People worship vain glamor, and those nearest stand in awe. It's like we're children or something.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Americans are the number one target in the world for identity thieves - Why? Because our government loves to compile massive databases about every single one of its citizens, and sell or share that information with anyone willing to buy it. That is what's criminal.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Nicely said!

But I don't believe it's actually commerce that represents the problem, per se. I think it's people.

It always boils down to people. Assuming all transactions are done by mathematical calculation; how hard have we made it to balance the economy? It's not that we lack the means, we lack the will. In the end, even the most egalitarian ideology falls prey to the weaknesses of people. We are too easily fooled, too easily manipulated, and too fractious to come together and stop the artificial conditions that create suffering (which leads to hate, which leads to... - sorry - cheeky I know).

It is possible that we can overcome these obstacles, heck, anything is possible. But we don't seem to be trying.

People get greedy, and those nearest to them allow it. People lust for power, and those nearest them give it to them. People worship vain glamor, and those nearest stand in awe. It's like we're children or something.

Thank you my friend...let's face it we are bred and conditioned to be unfettered consumers.

Have you ever watched a TV Sitcom where the stars had a couch with holes in it, old faded and raggedy clothes, didn't wear watches and jewlery, or have the latest electronics and cellular phones.

I like wearing Nat Nast shirts, so did Charlie Sheehan on Two and a Half Men, half the time he would have the latest shirt before I did on an episode, half the time I would have the latest shirt before he did on an episode. I thought it was a funny show, but in reality started watching it religiously just to see which one of us was ahead in the shirt war and if he managed to come by something my favorite store wasn't stocking. If he did I would be out the next day at the couple of other retailers around town that carried the Nat Nast line. Pretty pathetic huh?

When I first moved to Miami and was still a Family Man I used to marvel how all my neighbors had 2 brand new cars and a nice boat in their drive ways and the latest big screen TVs and computers. I soon learned that most of them were eating eggs 3 or 4 nights a week for dinner and hardly ever put their boats in the water because they couldn't afford the gas!

At the time I was a sales manager in the New Car Business, and families in the poverty income bracket would often come in and wheel and deal for hours to fanagle a way to buy the wife a Suburban, a 9 passenger vehicle for the Mrs. and the 2 kids to get to school and soccer practice. Everyone else had them, they had to have them too.

One night shortly before closing a woman and a man came in to buy...a Suburban and when I pulled the woman's Credit File on the Computer for the Sales Person it had a fraud alert on it and a number to call. I discreetly placed the call while I had the sales person stall the customers to find out what was going on. A man answered the phone and I told him who I was and asked for the name of the woman that appeared as belonging to the Credit File, no my wife isn't home right now, and when he inquired who I was and I told him he thanked me and hung up the phone. Now the couple in the showroom had identified themselves as husband and wife even though the man's name was not going on the transaction...the fact that I had just spoken to the woman's husband whose name appeared on the Credit File told me that something not completely honest was going on, unless this woman was a polygamist I was pretty sure the man in the showroom with her she identified as her husband was not her husband and that she might not be the person she claimed she was either.

So I had to do one of those not fun managerial tasks of confronting and questioning them on the discrepencies, something akward because you sure don't want to loose customers over confusion or innacurate information.

I introduced myself and explained the situation, and the woman gasped "Oh my God you called my husband, he knows I am here?" yes ma'am I replied...she looked at the man and then at me with desperation in my eyes..."This is my lover, my husband will be here in less than 5 minutes, we live close, and if he catches him here, he will kill him, he has a gun and I know he will use it".

Oh boy...so I had the salesperson hide her lover in a locked service department office in another building and she explained to me...I am in love with this man, and he is poor, and I have been helping him get the things he needs to start a life here in America and put them on my credit, when my husband saw all the accounts for these things, that we didn't have, I told him someone stole my Social Security Number and that's why the Fraud Alert is on my Credit Report...that really was the truth.

The funny thing of course is this poor Cuban Immigrant Man had to have Armani, and Vercace, Cartier, and Feragamo and a Suburban to start this new life because well, I guess everyone in Castro's Cuba has these things and he had to leave his behind on the smuggled boat ride across the Florida Straights. Judging by the situation I am guessing it was a Bertram Yacht that brought him over!

[edit on 2/5/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
At my work we are now implementing these damn rules and they suck! They will not help people protect their identity, it just makes it much harder for people to operate their business and for people to buy things.

Example:

Say your name is Robert but you have gone by bob your whole life. You want to buy services they say you will need to have a positive ID check ran. Now you give them your full social that you used to never give out over the phone and your drivers license number. They say to you that they cant find a match because the only way they can put in the order is with the name on your license and you have done most of your accounts in the name of bob.

Want service? Drive into one of their stores because you wont be able to do it over the phone.

This is one example but there is lots of scenarios that this sucks for. If somebody is going to go through the trouble to steal your ID then they can probably make a cheap fake ID very quickly. That is all that will need to be verified when the service person checks anyway.

new topics

top topics

join