It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Reasons to Abandon Christianity

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

See, this is how it should be. We can have a civil discussion based on what we both believe in and reach a conclusion that we both agree on...

Country music is BORING!!!!

I'll drink to that

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Killah29
Try these reasons if your not convinced.

i was thinking about just going down the point one by one but the list is just a mess. you´ve made so many assumptions that it is hard to discuss any of them.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
All religions are fake. The Draco- lizards have been in control of the mind set of the human population for thosands of years. One of the biggest conspiracy's ever was to program humans into believing in gods. its done to keep all humanity from evolving to a higher density. There afraid that in some future time peiod Humanity will become more powerful than they ever could become. Because we have a soul-matix, they do not. But then until humanity breaks the "Program" and your eyes are opened, 99% will continue to believe in one god or another.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Eye of Horus

God is real, he is within people. That part of god within yourself is what gives you the ability to obvserve and have consciousness. That sense of "to be" you feel within yourself, such is a function of the father within you.

What has been done is to make people think god is external rather than within. So that they can try to be that role(whole satan thing).

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
To the OP. The things you say are only true because you are using the entire bible.

The bible is nearly 50% Paul, and the rest are the gnostic texts, which are the ones that contain the life and words of Jesus. That would be Luke, Mark, Matthew and John. In the 50% written by Paul, he quotes Jesus only 1 single time.

So do this for me.

Take away the writings of Paul, and keep only the books and words of Jesus(sometimes called red letter reading).

en.wikipedia.org...

Now tell me if the 20 things you mention are still valid and true.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by jon1
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

See, this is how it should be. We can have a civil discussion based on what we both believe in and reach a conclusion that we both agree on...

Country music is BORING!!!!

I'll drink to that

Ok! I am a teetotaler though...would an organic lowfat strawberry yogurt smoothie do ya? I can but it in a dirty glass for that bad boy/girl effect if you want?

It really is a very refreshing drink!

It's really

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Try these reasons if your not convinced.

1. Christianity is based on fear

A) Christianity is based on love and forgiveness

2. Christianity preys on the innocent

B) Christ came for the guilty

3. Christianity is based on dishonesty

C) dishonest people will use it even if they do not belive it. honest people are honest

4. Christianity is extremely egocentric

D) The BIble tells us to be completely opposite.

5. Christianity breeds arrogance, a chosen-people mentality

E) Christianity breeds people that are tring to bebetter people for God

6. Christianity breeds authoritarianism

F) Christianity breeds sharing and giving and equalness

7. Christianity is cruel

G) Christianity is giving and loving

8. Christianity is anti-intellectual, anti-scientific

H) Christianity has claim to some of the most brilliant scientists- Newton

9. Christianity has a morbid, unhealthy preoccupation with sex

I) Christianity shows how to be sucessful and loving monogomists

10. Christianity produces sexual misery

J) Christinaty shows us to be liberated sexually and to enjoy it- see Proverbs 5:19

Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love

11. Christianity has an exceedingly narrow, legalistic view of morality

K) Morality has served mankind for thousands of years and protects the innocents. LIberal moralaty leads to misery and hurt and abuse

12. Christianity encourages acceptance of real evils while focusing on imaginary evils

L) Christianity teaches us not to lie, cheat, steal and murder

13. Christianity depreciates the natural world

M) Christianty has taught that we are stewards of the world God created

14. Christianity models hierarchical, authoritarian organization

N) Religion does this not true christianity . Secularism teaches hierachy

15. Christianity sanctions slavery

O) So called slaves were free after 7 yrs

16. Christianity is misogynistic

P) Women have equal status just different roles we are told specifically NOT to treat the badly and to love them dearly

17. Christianity is homophobic

Q) homophobia is an irrational fear , Christians are told not to engage in homosexual life/sex etc

18. The Bible is not a reliable guide to Christ's teachings

R) yes it is ( ill use your argument on that one)

19. The Bible is riddled with contradictions

S) Contridictions only to those that have not understood The sky is light , the sky is dark a contridiction? no both true when you understand the whole thing

20. Christianity borrowed its central myths and ceremonies from other ancient religions

T) This si completley the other way round

let's discuss.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

[edit on 4-5-2009 by flashesofblue]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Jmurman

Not too sound disrespectful but is your belief in one God or in the three in one God concept of the Trinity? Also do you think that the God of love and the God of family ordered the slaughter of thousands of people in the Old Testament or do you think that the LORD God ordered that slaughter, or are they the same God?

Sometimes the Old Testament and the New Testament when read word for word is very conflicting, confusing and cruel. The LORD God makes it clear he is the God of the Israelite people and they are the only ones he has chosen to be the LORD God of, just them.... so have you read what he ordered them to do to the people of the OT? Have you read what he ordered them to do to unborn children, pregnant women to little boys and girls...

So when people say they have a problem with the OT, I think as a disciple of Jesus Christ son of God, I have respect for their opinion and I am in no way defensive of their decision because it is in black and white what the bible writes. Of cause there is that possibility that the LORD God is not God, Or even if the LORD God was Jesus, then no wonder Jesus came to carry the sins of His people since he might possibly have been the one who commanded them to commit so many sins and crimes against humanity which is why the Father God sent His son LORD God to earth to fix things up..... maybe may be not...

At the end of the day an opinion is just that...it’s an opinion and everyone has a right to have one, so if people get insulted then, what is their problem?, are they defensive for what reason?, to be, possibly right...the only ones right on the whole planet? there’s is the only religion that is correct...great, just love the ego of that concept...Drum beliefs and drum opinions because everyone should think the same way, worship the same way, pray the same way, eat the same food, by the way I'm vegetarian, why aren’t you?...

peace to all

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by flashesofblue

Sometimes the Old Testament and the New Testament when read word for word is very conflicting, confusing and cruel.
The world exists for the sake of one person. In order for that person to come into existence and at the right place, history had to be directed to follow a certain path. God chose to have a specific line of descent for that person to be born of. The problem comes about by God also choosing a specific place. Noah had three sons and among them were Shem and Canaan. Canaan settled the area known as the land with the same name. Shem, who was chosen to be the "firstborn" to carry on the linage of the "chosen one" went off to a place that became "Shinar". After a certain amount of time passed, the descendant of Shem was to travel to and live in Canaan. Eventually, the numbers of that line became too great for the land to hold both tribes. A conflict ensued and wars were fought and kingdoms overthrown and a new dynasty established. The land was still the same name and the people were mostly unchanged, genetically. There still was the "line" and a person was born of the line and in the land, and God's plan worked out as intended.
Pax Romana was the order of the day and it did bring peace to the world, if you were lucky enough to be in the main regions. This empire was great for spreading things around, as well as ideas. Christ brought about the "End Time" where, from that point onward, God did not have a preference to any particular tribe and all the remaining peoples who had managed to survive to this point were welcomed into a new kingdom, headed by the one person, chosen from the beginning of knowable time to take that position.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Ok, then...

The topic is "20 reasons to Abandon Christianity", not the state of each others souls, or beliefs...

Debate the topic...Not each other.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It's easy to spit on Christianity, but to be credible a couple of sentences to underline each one of your "accusations" would have been welcome. To the benefit of your credibility.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Well if this thread isn't a poster child for the "rising culture of negativity" I don't know what is.

ATS Thread

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

To set the table, I am currently what many would call an atheist. I would describe myself as a humanist with mostly Christian tendencies due to my 50 years as a practicing Roman Catholic.

A Christian by definition is a follower of Christ. Your 20 reasons would be better described as reasons to abandon organized Biblically based religions. In my opinion most thoughtful people including atheists have little against people following the teachings attributed to the Biblical Jesus Christ. Even if these teachings were simply borrowed from other earlier cultures they do little harm to anyone save perhaps the Christian following them and that is infinitely arguable. This does not include all of the Biblical scriptures, just those directly attributable to Jesus Christ.

And so 20 reasons to leave organized religions based on Biblical scriptures perhaps but to abandon pure Christianity, I don't think you have addressed that. For the record, I don’t think there are many let’s say non hyphenated Christians. There are many sects of Christianity that include dogma that is not directly attributed to Jesus Christ and those folks (Catholics, Protestants, Evangelicals, Baptists, etc.) might describe themselves as “Christians” but there is far more to their Christianity than following the teachings attributed to Christ as I think you will agree.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
One reason not to abandon Christianity:

Jesus.

: o)

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
This is the stupedist most reatrded post I have EVER seen in my life. Whoever gives this guy any stars for those 20 ridiculously false points is truly atleast 15 years old or under.

I actually just got alittle more stupid reading this garbage.

flame away. I wont even bother refuting any of this seeing how you have no understanding at all.

bye.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
OK then, prove your God exists...have him ressurect George Burns and Bob Denver and I will believe you!

If you actually read not your bible but the history of your religion and the history of the region it comes from and the history of the people who conceived it to you and the history of the people who have rewritten and rewritten your bible...we could have an intelligent conversation regarding your paganism...

The only thing 'true' about your pagan god is you truly believe him!

Look at this. This gets like 8 stars. Are you people blind? St Ferrer did raise people back to life, but the problem is that you need saintly faith to have this gift and very few do. These antichristian people belong in a insaneasylum because of their bias hatred.

and btw the guy who said.

" half in jail and half in a funny farm "

exactly, exactly what christ said would happen to us, and this is why antichrist will do this when he comes,a dn you guys will cheer like the heartless sheep you are at our torture. idiots.

and also the bible wasn't rewritten, it was retranslated by protestant revolters and thus is why you have the mass translation problems of today, which God also predicted would happen with the revolt.

for soemone who actually seen God look at my signature.

[edit on 6-5-2009 by JesusisTruth]

[edit on 6-5-2009 by JesusisTruth]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Some interesting anti-theist quotes:

"You find as you look around the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step toward the diminution of war, every step toward better treatment of the colored races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world".
Bertrand Russell

"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries that have afflicted the human race have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion.”
Thomas Payne

"The so-called Christian nations are the most enlightened and progressive...but in spite of their religion, not because of it. The Church has opposed every innovation and discovery from the day of Galileo down to our own time, when the use of anesthetic in childbirth was regarded as a sin because it avoided the biblical curse pronounced against Eve. And every step in astronomy and geology ever taken has been opposed by bigotry and superstition. The Greeks surpassed us in artistic culture and in architecture five hundred years before Christian religion was born."
Mark Twain

"When the churches literally ruled society, the human drama encompassed: (a) slavery; ( b ) the cruel subjection of women;( c )the most savage forms of legal punishment; (d) the absurd belief that kings ruled by divine right; (e) the daily imposition of physical abuse; (f) cold heartlessness for the sufferings of the poor; as well as (g) assorted pogroms ('ethnic cleansing' wars) between rival religions, capital punishment for literally hundreds of offenses, and countless other daily imposed moral outrages. . . . It was the free-thinking, challenging work by people of conscience, who almost invariably had to defy the religious and political status quo of their times, that brought us out of such darkness."
Steve Allen

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
"You find as you look around the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step toward the diminution of war, every step toward better treatment of the colored races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world".
Bertrand Russell

That's bull. Communist leaders have led in this world and had NO values and if religion didn't exist and Gods true teachings of loving your enemies, then the world would be out of control because man can make there own rules? Who gives a rats ass if I cheat on my married wife or drink and drive all night? Our jail system and are laws are baised on the 10 commandments. Without God or any moral code you got people having (free) thought which is exactly what cerial murders do and people who live by no rules.

"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries that have afflicted the human race have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion.”
Thomas Payne

Bullcrap. You mean hypocrites. Like I said, the scientists who created nukes are not christian, I GARUNTEE you that fact. Yet they will create SHORTLy the ultimate destruction, and yet it;s all because of money. This guy T payne, not the rapper, has little understanding.

"The so-called Christian nations are the most enlightened and progressive...but in spite of their religion, not because of it. The Church has opposed every innovation and discovery from the day of Galileo down to our own time, when the use of anesthetic in childbirth was regarded as a sin because it avoided the biblical curse pronounced against Eve. And every step in astronomy and geology ever taken has been opposed by bigotry and superstition. The Greeks surpassed us in artistic culture and in architecture five hundred years before Christian religion was born."
Mark Twain

Not because of it? How does he know. that's pure bias. And also those adavnces God doesn't like because they creat destruction. What idol minds can make is a devils workshop God said like Nukes, like bombs, guns, Polution facotries. God forseen that and didn't want us to create idol things for comfort. earth is a stage for eternity. it's not our everything which people who destroy our pl,anet see it as.

"When the churches literally ruled society, the human drama encompassed: (a) slavery; ( b ) the cruel subjection of women;( c )the most savage forms of legal punishment; (d) the absurd belief that kings ruled by divine right; (e) the daily imposition of physical abuse; (f) cold heartlessness for the sufferings of the poor; as well as (g) assorted pogroms ('ethnic cleansing' wars) between rival religions, capital punishment for literally hundreds of offenses, and countless other daily imposed moral outrages. . . . It was the free-thinking, challenging work by people of conscience, who almost invariably had to defy the religious and political status quo of their times, that brought us out of such darkness."
Steve Allen

Salvery? No, that's false. it's a work program God set up in the bible. Slavery is unjust torture. Woman are told to be loves in the NT. god said they become one flesh. So that's not christain, that's muslims he is speaking of. Absurd belief that kings? what? Uh, this planet is Gods, how is that ubsurd? The guy is insane. Daily physical abuse? Baloney! We are taught to love our enemies and pray for our enemies let alone our own people.

Free thinking people never reach truth because they can do what they want, they never search or keep their hearts open to an idea of a God. I mean look at the qoute above. the guy sounds like a drone, a complete robot programmed to attack something he wouldn't even fathom giving a chance. he's bias as hell.

like I said, mass murders said to themsleves, I had free thoguht and acted on it. The free thoguht Idea can be as easily refuted as it can be taught.

undertsanding is truly a grace, and I swear on my life, I see littler and littler each day like the insane qoutes above. God bless their hearts though/.

peace.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join