It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dem. Congresswoman Admits Obama’s Health Care Plan Will Destroy Private Insurance

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Here's an objective view of the Obama Health Care agenda from one of his biggest supporters:

Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky, (D – IL) a congressional colleague of Barack Obama, was caught on tape during a speech, telling a cheering crowd of social activists that the Obama health care plan would eventually terminate every private health insurance plan in America and that supporters of the free market "have every reason to be afraid."

“I know many of you here today are single payer advocates and so am I … and those of us who are pushing for a public health insurance don’t disagree with this goal. This is not a principled fight. This is a fight about strategy for getting there and I believe we will,” Rep. Schakowsky told the group of government-run health care supporters.

www.breitbart.tv...

She is the same Democrat who called Americans who complained about their tax bill April 15 "shameful" and "despicable.”

Related story:
www.freerepublic.com...

This is the "Change" you've "hope"d for>

jw

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Did she also mention the fact that it will bankrupt the country and nobody will want to be a doctor under this system. Maybe we can just use illegal alien doctors. Thats right I called them ILLEGAL
Heck everyone on ATS thinks there are Aliens running all over the place and they have probes so maybe we can just ask them to doctor us up for free.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This is another insane solution to the wrong problem. Yes health care needs to be reformed, but for the government to compete with insurance companies is unfair and unnecessary. There are so many steps to take before deciding that a single payer deal is the answer. We need jobs in this country so why just change the regulations and force insurance companies to compete, make insurance available to everyone. Then people can guy the kind of policy they want. Yes, we need basic coverage for everyone but beyond that there should be choices. Having the government take it over is sheer madness, plus it won't work. Plus, as mentioned, it will bankrupt the government. Possibly a moot point because there are a great many other things working to bankrupt the government.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
There are a few things I believe people should not make money on, health insurance being one of them!

The government themselves have a pool they all throw into and no one makes profit off of it, why can't we get that too?

When you have to call a corporation and see if they approve a medication/service, there is a fundamental problem with they system.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I have no insurance. Why?? Because its to expensive. Why is that? Because it is allowed to run unchecked by anyone!!

[edit on 1-5-2009 by ImzadiDax]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ImzadiDax

Does your job provide insurance? If not, I would seriously consider switching jobs.

If so, what kind of prices are they looking to charge? Honestly if you can't afford around $30 a paycheck for health insurance, then you really need to consider a second job or find a way to cut costs elsewhere. Maybe your internet or cell phone?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
What people seem to forget is how these health insurance companies prey on their customers. I just got private health insurance through my husbands union, and let me tell you, the book they sent with all of the "policies" is UNBELIEVABLE! I sat down for two hours reading this thing, and bottom line is yes, we do have insurance BUT if they choose not to pay for something, regardless on how life saving it may be, they won't. Plain and simple. So, basically if something terrible happens, my life is in their hands. Its playing god, and I do not agree with it one bit. If there is a procedure that could save someones life, who are they to say no, the person don't deserve the funding for it??? We need something different, something fair and balanced, something that won't cost a fortune and then not be there when you need it

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick

Does your job provide insurance? If not, I would seriously consider switching jobs.

If so, what kind of prices are they looking to charge? Honestly if you can't afford around $30 a paycheck for health insurance, then you really need to consider a second job or find a way to cut costs elsewhere. Maybe your internet or cell phone?

I am one of the 'laid-off' types. COBRA is waaaay to expensive. I have decided to go back to school tho. I have no cell and my internet is really all I have right now. Sooo... *shrug*

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Actually I don't feel very sorry for the mega insurance to be destroyed after all the Dem. Congresswoman most be one of those that has been whoring for the insurance pimps.

Remember every congressman or woman in Washington is owned by a lobbyist pimp.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
and nobody will want to be a doctor under this system.

Not ALL doctors do it for the money; believe it or not there are some people out there who genuinely want to help others.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Originally posted by breakingdradles

The government themselves have a pool they all throw into and no one makes profit off of it, why can't we get that too?

You've hit the nail on the head!

Our current health insurance programs rob the consumer of money and buying power, as well as their right to choice in care and providers.

There are other alternatives than the feds to help us ensure our health and ability to afford reasonable care.

Here's a couple of links to different ideas.
"Healthcare X Prize"
www.reuters.com...

"Why Health Insurance Doesn’t Work"
www.associatedcontent.com...

I'm sure there're dozens of others floating around the ether if anyone wants to look instead of having MSM and BHO feed them their dreams.

We can be creative and think of ways to return our health to our own hands, not those of others with more money and other motives than our personal well-being.

Deny ignorance.

jw

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I don't really care what the Obama's health care plan looks like as long as I don't have to continue paying some private scumbag outfit almost 1k a month in premiums for my GF and I, and they deny paying for any hospital visits as a "pre existing condition" or some other fine print BS.

The greedy private health care providers brought this upon themselves.

Somehow it just seems wrong to build a profit motivated business on peoples pain and suffering.

I don't think it's to much to ask for the same kind of health plan my elected representives have....that I am paying for thru my tax dollars.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by whaaa]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

and nobody will want to be a doctor under this system.

Not ALL doctors do it for the money; believe it or not there are some people out there who genuinely want to help others.

Yeah because all the doctors I have ever known give away all there extra money every year for the goodness of humanity. None of them buy big houses or expensive cars or have hot wives they couldnt otherwise get

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Originally posted by KaginD

What people seem to forget is how these health insurance companies prey on their customers.
If there is a procedure that could save someones life, who are they to say no, the person don't deserve the funding for it?

Unfortunately, Obama's plan will focus on RATIONING over everything else, NOT your health and comfort.

He's given an interview to the NYT Magazine, to be published Sunday, in which he discusses his grandmother's need for surgery while suffering from terminal cancer:

...I actually think that the tougher issue around medical care — it’s a related one — is what you do around things like end-of-life care …

… sort of in the aggregate, society making those decisions to give my grandmother, or everybody else’s aging grandparents or parents, a hip replacement when they’re terminally ill is a sustainable model, is a very difficult question. If somebody told me that my grandmother couldn’t have a hip replacement and she had to lie there in misery in the waning days of her life — that would be pretty upsetting.

… So that’s where I think you just get into some very difficult moral issues. But that’s also a huge driver of cost, right?

I mean, the chronically ill and those toward the end of their lives are accounting for potentially 80 percent of the total health care bill out here.

... you have to have some independent group that can give you guidance.
(emphasis added)
www.nytimes.com...

So there you have it! BHO wants your health dictated by demographics, economics and "independent groups" for guidance as to what's best for you.

Deny ignorance!

jw

[edit on 1-5-2009 by jdub297]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

I'm not saying that Obama has the end all solution, I know better then depending on a politician to fix anything. I'm just thinking we need something different then what we have now. Ugh, its truly exhausting at this point isn't it? All of the things we have to read into because they are trying to scam us in some sort of way... Thanks for posting that info Jdub.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Yeah because all the doctors I have ever known give away all there extra money every year for the goodness of humanity. None of them buy big houses or expensive cars or have hot wives they couldnt otherwise get

I'm sure I shouldn't even respond to this post, but frankly I pity you if you honestly believe every doctor in the world does it solely for Big houses, fast cars and women who get face-lifts and tunny-tucks every year. edit: I'm fairly sure not all doctors get ridiculous salaries.

In fact, I'm positive I must be wrong. The blood, puke, #, diseases and constant exposure to whining hypochondriacs is ONLY balanced by massive salaries and Ferraris. None of them follow a calling that conveniently comes with money, no, they're all just greedy pricks.

[edit on 5/1/2009 by eNumbra]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Exactly. An insurance policy I bought years ago at a job went from about $40 a month to $98 and was going to double last year when I was laid off. The policy I have now is about $225 a month, bottom of the barrel coverage with a $5000 deductible. Not great!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

The problem is not the premium you pay. The problem is how much the insurance company has to pay every time someone needs healthcare. Like if you pay 300/mnth and you stay overnight in a hospital and it costs 3000 for your care for that day then that is 10 months premiums down the drain.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Waaaaahhhh boohoo

Good riddance. Have any of you people that bitch about national health care ever even had to deal with your health insurance. Have any of you ever needed any kind procedure done where you had to battle with your insurance. Because it sure as hell doesn't seem like it.

I am still fighting with mine over a damned back injury. A BACK INJURY!! My god it's like pulling teeth. All I do is sit and suffer all day because I can't get anybody to do anything without having to deal with the insurance goons. It's been such a long drawn out process with no results that I'm almost ready to just say *Snip* it.

I throw money away on Dr visits over and over and get nothing for it. But oh noez! if we get national health care it's going to be so bad and no one is gonna be treated right and blah blah blah....I feel like we already have free health care and I missed the boat or something.

All the bad things you guys and the media says will happen ARE ALREADY HAPPENING! Except now I'm paying out the*Snip*, at least if we nationalized it I could get a good *Snip* for free.

And my health insurance is quite a bit more than 30 bucks a month, if your getting that well....must be nice.

So like I said...boohoo multi-billion dollar health insurance industry assholes, maybe you all can find a niche in banking...you'll fit right in.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/2/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Private health insurance companies are always going to be trying to make a profit, otherwise they would go out of business.

The real problem is the soaring price of health care itself!

Here's a link where you can compare prices for hospital stays for different procedures (or reasons) from different hospitals.

Consumer Health Ratings

And here's a search I did on the site for a hospital in Florida to perform an appendectomy on a person between 18 and 64 years old.

Category: Surgery Condition/Procedure: Appendectomy Age Group: Adult, Ages 18 - 64 Time Period: July 2007 through June 2008

The results stated that the average stay at the hospital was 2.6 days, and the hospital charges (for the stay and all other charges) ranged from $13,547 to $69,990!

There's something very wrong with a system that allows this sort of price gouging!

[edit on 5/2/2009 by Keyhole]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join