It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can a refugee obtain more and better benefits - than someone who contributed ...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I keep hearing this over and over again, A person who is here possibly illegal can obtain a better standard of living than say a American who has worked and paid into the social systems... from our social systems... let me post a typical email...

This will *Snip* you off, it definitely did me knowing what little I am receiving in benefits. If you are not old enough, you may have parents this effects

Social Security Benefit
This is an insult and a kick in the butt to all of us...
Get mad and pass it on - I don't know how, but maybe some good will come of this travesty. If an immigrant is over 65, they can apply for SSI and
Medicaid and get more than a woman on Social Security,
who worked from 1944 until 2004. She is only getting $791 per month because she was born in 1924 and there's a 'catch 22'. It is interesting to note that the federal government provides a single refugee with a monthly allowance of $1,890. Each can also obtain an additional $580 in social assistance, for a total of $2,470 a month.

Compare this to a single pensioner, who after contributing to the growth and development of America for 40 to 50 years, can only receive a monthly maximum of $1,012 in old age pension and Guaranteed Income Supplement.

Maybe our pensioners should apply as refugees!

Consider sending this to all your American friends, so we can all be ticked off and maybe get the refugees cut back to $1,012 and the pensioners up to $2,470. Then we can enjoy some of the money we were forced to submit to the Government over the last 40 or 50 or 60 years. Please forward to every American
to expose what our elected politicians have been doing over the past 11 years - for the immigrant -and to the over-taxed American.
Meanwhile, a member of congress receives a full pension for only working a single term of two years!!!

Unquote...

Has anyone ever checked into the facts of these claims...? I couldnt make heads or tails out of what I was tooking at... any way ... is this a conspiracy or is this fact...?

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/2/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This is fact and completely true. If your a citizen of this country and have payed into the system all your life, you get a pitence compared to someone who has not contributed one red cent to the process. They get subsidized houseing, food stamps at a higher rate than citizens, utilities payed for. and if they have no household goods ( furniture and appliances) you and I and every damned tax payer pays for those also and they get to choose what it is they buy! Yup, I'm gonna apply as a refugee myself. I'm sick of living on rice and beans and pay the taxes they take from me!

Zindo

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
It is starting to bother me that the language has changed from illegal aliens to just immigrants, or refugees. It bothers me because I'm a Cuban Refugee that is here legaly. I'm under my parents political refugee status as they are Cubans. No we didn't float here. Instead my family escaped to Costa Rica where my brother and I were born. 10 years go by and we are finally granted political asylum and we were blessed with indefinite and unlimited access to employment. My I-94 has no expiration date.

My brother is in the Army, he's currently deployed to Iraq. I'm a hard working and well educated individual. No body handed a damned thing to me or my family the entire time we've been here. I know the Constitution better than nearly anyone I know. I know American history at a rather surprising level when you realize how few natural born Americans know this stuff. I absolutely love this country and do in fact contribute to society here. I pay my taxes, I pay my bills, I work my ass off and get the shaft the same as the rest of you. I've been here since I was five. I know no other nation like I know America, and there isn't a damned thing that would take that from me. I'm American dude. That's identity, my identity. I don't want you to watch what you say for my sake, only that you know who it is that your words of choice describe.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by projectvxn]

[edit on 1-5-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
There's a difference in being a refugee from an absolute dictatorial government and someone who jumps the border for monetary gain with no intent to become a citizen of the country they invade. The Cubans that have come here have made more contributions to the places they live and the culture they share with us than nearly any peoples that we have 'invited'. 'Refugee' is not a dirty word. To take refuge here from the terrible life you would have had by staying is never something to be thrown in ones face. It is merely a fact of life! Having been invited or to come here to change your life by means of legal maneuvers is what this country is about. If it was me that insulted you, I am sorry, that was not my intention!

Zindo

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by BornPatriot

This is all a bunch of LIES!! not a single shred of truth to any of it and the fact you say its so with no supporting reference is further proof its just a bunch of immigrant bashing.

I know for a FACT its all a bunch of he said / she said ..... myths and rumors.

yeh I said it!! "MYTH BUSTERS" ..... this is BUSTED.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
It came in my email so it must be true.

The wrongheaded idea that refugees in the U.S. get "a monthly allowance of $1,890" actually started as a mistaken claim about refugees in Canada. In 2004 an irate Canadian misread a story in the Toronto Star and sent off an error-filled e-mail, which was so widely forwarded it prompted an official debunking by the Canadian government. Somewhere along the way a malicious prankster copied the falsehood almost verbatim and applied it to the U.S. We explained all this in an "Ask FactCheck" item in 2007.

www.factcheck.org...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

I wasn't insulted. I have just noticed the language change. When language of an issue changes things get confused and it usually leads to very bad things down the line.

But at the same time if you are against illegal immigration you get billed a racist half the time. I know I do. I can't imagine what it must be like for white American's who just want to see the laws followed. Yes, I get accused of hating Hispanic people because I'm against illegal immigration.

We have to be mindful of language because certain words have certain meanings in legalese. When you use the word refugee, according to all American immigration laws, you are referring to people in my position.

The reason I have a problem with the use of that word is that more often than not political discourse later becomes policy.

The legal difference between a refugee and a person who hops the fence into the US is obvious. But these people aren't seeking refuge from an oppressive government. We have a lot of Hispanic people of Mexican descent who think this is their land. Who think that they are not migrating illegally because "This used to be part of Mexico". They're not here to contribute and seek refuge. The truly believe they are entitled to our services and legal protection as a reimbursement for what they lost so long ago... As stupid as this train of thought might be, it is what the majority believe. I know, because I've lived within the Hispanic-Mexican culture in LA. And when you speak Spanish like I do, they tend to open up about things.

You would be surprised to find out that entire neighborhoods in LA are comprised entirely of illegal immigrants. Same with Las Vegas, and any other state close enough to the border.

I was in LA about two weeks ago and I heard an advertisement on the radio specifically targeting illegals telling them how they can sue to get wages that are "Legally theirs". While they may be legally entitled to wages as per labor laws, they are not entitled to WORK in the US without authorization of employment, and an EIN(Employee Identification Number) TIN(Tax Identification Number)or a Social Security card. The first two cannot be obtained by an illegal without that person being arrested, but the SS card can be forged and used for a long period of time before anyone ever notices. There are illegals in the US who have been here for decades and are citizens on paper.

This issue is very complicated indeed. In California(Ruled by the globalist left) illegals are bestowed all the rights and privileges as a citizen. It is only in the red states that the problem is dealt with, unfortunately they blanket all immigrants into this. I know, I live in a red state and have been harassed a few times because up here in Reno they don't deal with many people with my status. This could be dealt with by using correct legal descriptors, and educating enforcement agencies.

But since we have the globalist left in power right now, we will not see any immigration reform that represents the concerns of Americans or contributing immigrants who are legal in status. These illegals are getting ahead of the line, cutting me off and increasing the fees I have to pay just to file my damned paperwork. I will be a citizen by this time next year. Wish me luck, because I'm running for public office in Reno.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I'm going to have to agree.

It is very scary to see the term Illegal Immigrant being changed to describe anybody who came to this country in the past 15 years for any reason and was not born an American.

This kind of rhetoric is what led to things like the Holocaust and other genocides throughout or short history. People need to realize that we are a nation built on Immigration, and that without it, we would be nothing.

I agree that Illegals should be as miserable as we are, paying the man for their hard work, however throwing them out of the country isn't going to help either. They do contribute to GDP when they buy anything from a store or from anybody else.

We have to create a path for legal citizenship for these people, so we may continue to have these immigrants contribute to the USA in the fashion they should.

~Keeper

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Here's where you and I disagree Tenth.

Illegals should not have a path to citizenship. I waited ten years in a miserable country to come here legally. They can do the same. Besides, we have no business taking care of these people. Their government encourages illegal immigration when they should be working to make life better for Mexicans in Mexico.

Back they go. If they wanna get a passport and have it stamped for a 3 month visa to come here and work that's fine. They can be assigned an EIN or a TIN and they can contribute. We already have laws in place to handle that. otherwise they need to go home. Because they could use that hard working mentality to build their own nation.

new topics

top topics

join