It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Books of Matches - the most important thing in the world?

page: 4
0
<< 1  2  3   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Sideband
 


Yes the permanent match is exactly what my 1930's one is like.

I didn't consider the petrol evaporation, I get your point now!




posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
Lets go down the list of “must have” fire starting equipment.

Strike on box matches
Strike anywhere matches
Long reach matches.
Butane lighters.
Long nose butane lighters.
Mini butane torches.
Torch strikers
Pizo electric igniters.
Self starting propane torch to light those hard to light items.

And my favorite is a short strip of Nichrome wire and a battery. Just get it hotter than the self ignition temp of the thing in question and bada boom….. Fire…..

I disagree with these being "must haves".
Strike on box matches become worthless if the box gets wet. I have managed to build thousands of camp fires without ever using a single long reach match. Long nosed lighters are nothing special and don't serve a purpose that can't be replicated by a 6" splinter of wood.... Your list is full of toys.
Instead of nichrome, try #000 steel wool. You can drop from a 12V battery to 2 flashlight batteries. The steel wool also works wonderfully with a firesteel.

Must have:
Butane lighter
firesteel or magnesium firestarter
magnifying glass



posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sideband
I disagree with these being "must haves".
Strike on box matches become worthless if the box gets wet.


Yes, but a crushed lighter won’t light either. A firesteel is worthless if you can not find any dry kindling to use it on. Every method has it’s weaknesses. That is why you want to have more than one method at your disposal if at all possible.


Originally posted by Sideband
I have managed to build thousands of camp fires without ever using a single long reach match. Long nosed lighters are nothing special and don't serve a purpose that can't be replicated by a 6" splinter of wood....


I disagree. I find long reach lighters/matches far more useful for a lot of things. Kerosene heaters. Gas heaters. Water heaters. Coleman lamps. Some kerosene lamps. Trying to keep a stockpile of sticks in tow to light things you can’t get to with a normal lighter isn’t easy either.


Originally posted by Sideband
Your list is full of toys.


One's toy is another's tool, it is how you use it that makes the difference.
Each has it’s place and it’s uses.
And they overlap in many instances, so if you can’t use one, then you can fall back on another. Keep a few of each placed throughout the house. If you can’t get to one type then you can probably make do with the type you do find. If you truly need the other type then you can find it sooner or later. The best way to make sure you have what you need is diversify. Stockpiling one or two types may leave you in an unworkable situation when you need a type you don’t have. Example... It has been raining of and on here for almost a month. It’s been dipping down to freezing levels for the last couple weeks. With cold dew that just saturates everything.You won’t find anything (outside) in the entire state that is dry enough to use a firesteel on. Heck, wood that has been under shelter for the year is still a bit damp right now. It takes cardboard and a dash of kerosene to get it going. If a firesteel is all you had, you would be screwed.


Originally posted by Sideband
Instead of nichrome, try #000 steel wool. You can drop from a 12V battery to 2 flashlight batteries. The steel wool also works wonderfully with a firesteel.


But a nichrome wire can be used again and again. Just mount a loop in a terminal block with a switch and leads connected to a 12V battery. You got a fire starter that will last for thousands of uses with the occasional battery charge.



posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny

Originally posted by Sideband
I disagree with these being "must haves".
Strike on box matches become worthless if the box gets wet.


Yes, but a crushed lighter won’t light either. A firesteel is worthless if you can not find any dry kindling to use it on. Every method has it’s weaknesses. That is why you want to have more than one method at your disposal if at all possible.


Originally posted by Sideband
I have managed to build thousands of camp fires without ever using a single long reach match. Long nosed lighters are nothing special and don't serve a purpose that can't be replicated by a 6" splinter of wood....


I disagree. I find long reach lighters/matches far more useful for a lot of things. Kerosene heaters. Gas heaters. Water heaters. Coleman lamps. Some kerosene lamps. Trying to keep a stockpile of sticks in tow to light things you can’t get to with a normal lighter isn’t easy either.


Originally posted by Sideband
Your list is full of toys.


One's toy is another's tool, it is how you use it that makes the difference.
Each has it’s place and it’s uses.
And they overlap in many instances, so if you can’t use one, then you can fall back on another. Keep a few of each placed throughout the house. If you can’t get to one type then you can probably make do with the type you do find. If you truly need the other type then you can find it sooner or later. The best way to make sure you have what you need is diversify. Stockpiling one or two types may leave you in an unworkable situation when you need a type you don’t have. Example... It has been raining of and on here for almost a month. It’s been dipping down to freezing levels for the last couple weeks. With cold dew that just saturates everything.You won’t find anything (outside) in the entire state that is dry enough to use a firesteel on. Heck, wood that has been under shelter for the year is still a bit damp right now. It takes cardboard and a dash of kerosene to get it going. If a firesteel is all you had, you would be screwed.



If my lighter gets somehow crushed in my pocket then I still have 2 more ready methods of fire starting.

Anything you can get to burn using a match I can get started with a firesteel. The sparks from a firesteel are 10 times hotter than a match flame and I have a magnesium bar to shave for extra burn time and heat.

Keeping a splint of wood around can't be any harder than keeping 3 kinds of matches and 2 kinds of lighters available. I want fire. I don't need designer fire and although a firesteel would easily touch off a kerosene soaked rag, I have never had to resort to those methods. I have always been able to find enough dry wood in the center of logs to get a fire started and to dry out the rest as I went.
My issue is you have those items marked as "Must haves". The items on my must have list allow me to not need anything else as long as I have them. Yours reads like a listing of modern methods of fire making.



new topics

top topics
 
0
<< 1  2  3   >>

log in

join