It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confirmed H1N1 in My Childs School District (Indy)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I became aware of two new confirmed cases of H1N1 in Indianapolis. Thinking positive, I was hoping these cases were on the the other side of town.

My Kindergartener came home from school today with a note that a child in her school district, not her school, tested positive and they are only closing that particular school for two weeks. This is still pretty much in our neighboorhood, within a few miles. All students in my childs school are to report to school on Monday.

I have a question I didn't see posted in other OPs. This is now not speculation, it is a reality.

When my child was younger she suffered from auto immune disorders including Epstein-Barr virus and CMV with wicked high fevers - up to 107 at one point. She has improved greatly since entering school, naturally buiding up her immune system.

My question to other parents, and I will be doing much pondering over the weekend, is now that it is a reality, my child is only in Kindergarten - would you keep your child home for at least the first few days of next week given the incubation period of this virus?

I'm torn between keeping her home, sending her to school, perhaps the whole family gets H1N1, recovers, and we have a built in immunity for when this resurfaces in the fall. That's a bit off topic and being addressed in other threads but, is part of my thought process.

Our family doctor says to send her to school. She's my only little one and I protect her as mother lion. ::roar::

I am sure there must be other ATS parents out there dealing with the same issue and would like to hear your opinions and views. Thanks for your own personal insight.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The school systems are also being very protective of your child. If the school is saying it is safe, it is probably safe.

The problem you run into is when your child's school is closed. That is when you should be concerned. In this event, you should be very protective about your child's associating with her friends.

Look, though... does your child have more to gain staying home or learning and associating with her classmates at school? The danger factor is fairly small and the school is certainly being vigilant about this growing problem

I would say follow your doctor's instructions. If you are really concerned, get a second opinion. It couldn't hurt.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
You know, I'm a mom too and that very question rises in my head. I would probably keep my child home. What would really worry me, is you mention within the same town. What about the local grocery marts, video stores, walmarts. etc. That is what really scares me. So do you all stay home for the next couple of weeks? If you do venture out wear rubber glovers (like the sterile kind doctors wear - which by the way, how come no one is suggesting this?).. anyways.. yes I would keep my kid home. Why give yourself the extra worry. Good luck to you, stay safe and healthy. I'm writing from michigan, and there are 2 confirmed cases here with 6 more probables...

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The Secretary of Education just gave a news conference a few minutes ago and said that any school with a confirmed case should close for up to 14 days and that if a district has two or more cases the entire district should close for 14 days.

On one hand this aggressive policy will help stop the spread, but just like other parents I am wondering how we are going to stay home from work with our kids for two weeks?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Yeah, Forth Worth got hit, I know a few girls who are taking there kids out of school indefinately until the swine flu scare is over.

Which is yell silly, because I doubt that swine flu will cease to exist, it's still got a ways to go. Better start homeschooling.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I have a 5 year old son in preschool and a 1 year old son in an infant head start program. My 3 year old daughter isn't enrolled in preschool yet. I kept my sons home this week because of the flu. I've been wrestling with myself over school next week.

I haven't decided conclusively yet. It doesn't really matter academically but at the same time, they really enjoy their programs and I don't want to take that away from them unnecessarily.

I got a call from one of the administrators from my youngest son's program. She didn't come out and say it but she was almost accusing me of child neglect because I wasn't taking him to school. I told her that it is my right as a parent to be excessively overprotective of my children. That ended that call and made me want to keep him home for another week out of spite.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Iago18 - Yes, they are taking good care of my child. She told me today they installed antibacterial gel in all the restrooms. They are talking to the children about H1N1 and informing them of hand washing etc.

de9571 - Hello neighbor! Thanks for your reply. We are not in the inner city but in a township - it's still heavily populated. I've always taken antibacterial wipes with me to the grocery stores to wipe off cart handles. You can bet I will be doing this with an avengence. I too have considered just disposable gloves.

emsed1 - Thanks for the info! Wow Wow Wubbzy is on here so I'll be running to the other room for MSM updates. I'm grateful I am a stay at home mom. Having been in the corporate world for many years, I realize how lucky I am to have this option. This is going to be a great concern to many parents in the coming weeks. You can't send them to day care, if you're like me and have no family left - who do you have watch them if you are out trying to put food on the table. Again, I'm apprecitive of my specific situation and realize others do not have this option.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Those teachers attitudes disgust me on what they said to you. I'm really amazed. Geez as a mother have you come across other mothers who have told stories of other mothers who have dragged sick kids around to play dates?? I know I have, and wow what a caddy conversation, to the point I was really making sure my kid never participated anywhere when he had a cold!!! So how is this any different? You are protecting your child from some unknowning sick child at school. A little off topic, but they just reported here that a pediatrician here treated 22 kids with their adult parents in tow, found out today they had the flu.. nice how many people did that infect, and those people that left, who did they visit...ok, my rant is over. I say, think for yourself. You do what is right for you and your family!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

We as well have confirmed cases of the H1N1 flu, but only in our state, not in my childrens school district. If I were in your shoes I would be as torn as it seems you are, and perhaps you should follow your instincts, as you will feel better, and get to spend extra "special" time with your child.

Personally, I do not see where missing a week or so in kindergarten would ever be damaging to your child, especially if you have the ability to stay home with your child.

Being the weekend, maybe you should wait to decide depending on what takes place over the weekend?

I hope everyone stays well.

Peace

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Hello Whisper...I TOTALLY understand what you are asking...My 5 year old was born 4 months premature and with a host of respiratory problems-stayed in NICU for 4 months and came home on oxygen for his 1st year...I am asking the same question...due to being a stay at home mom because of the medical problems back then, he was not exposed "properly" to alot of the things that most kids get. Now that he's in K-garden he has been one continuous walking cold all winter...and has picked up everything!! I do realize that the school system is watching out for our kids, but well, just not so sure with all the probs we've had. I am with you on the hesitation...we only have 3 confirmed cases so far here in Maine, but one is a kindergarden teacher less than 30 miles away in our state capital...I am not panicking, but am not sure either...

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
If I were in your shoes and there was a report of flu in my child's school, I'd probably hold them out.

If there's a report about a child in the school district, I'd be concerned but would probably sent my child to school.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Why take the chance? Keep them home I mean, how far behind is a kindergartner going to fall behind if he/she misses a couple weeks of school? Especially if they have had a compromised immune system at an early age. Error on the side of caution until this either subsides or the unthinkable happens.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rockhndr

How do we know that he has not already had it? If he has been sick so much who is to say that maybe he has already had it?
Our kids may have already been exposed 2 months ago.
I feel better today. I think we are all mentally prepared and not as spooked. We may just have to gear up and take it on.
I'm just going to use my intution and common sense. I already have tamiflu but just read a thread about it and don't know now if I would give it to my kid.
I've decided that since we have not heard from people in Mexico that there has to be another reason for all the hype.
I'm going to enjoy my weekend. I feel better and not afraid any longer.
We are tough as Americans and we can handle this. Things happen for a reason...even if this is mandmade or a front or whatever. We ultimately control the destiny of America no matter what. Just keep askiing questions and posing hypotheses. Critical thinking.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
You think that's bad? My sister came home today after a phone call saying her school had a confirmed case of the stuff. theyve got the school shut down until may 18th.

Taking your kid out is a reasonable precaution, though.. i'd be pretty devastated if my kid were to pass because of this thing, but if yall's immune system is great enough, it might just be the best idea to go ahead and try and get some of it.. be sure to get some tamiflu or something though, and be prepared for when it does hit.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I have four children that attend an elementary school in Orange County, CA. Two of the four did not go to school today and I was not asked anything about why I was keeping them home. I was HOPING that the school nurse would call and ask me if the children were absent due to flu like symptems (as the news reports were stating that all schools would be following up on why a child was absent by a phone call from a school official) but I did not get any such call. All winter long parents were sending sick children to school and I was highly annoyed at that, but now I'm REALLY annoyed with the school and how they are handling (or NOT handling) this current situation.

I would probably keep my Kindergarten child home for a few days. Not sure how things are where you are but considering it's toward the end of the school year, most K students are merely reviewing what they learned over the year and working hard on reading skills and no new concepts are being introduced.

Good luck. I know it's a tough decision but I'm sure that you'll make the right one for you and your child.

Jemison

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Today I went to several drug stores and they were sold out of masks. I did buy some gloves as I had to go to Walmart. Wearing the gloves, I did receive quite a few stares from others but I was equally curious and mortified by those feeding babies finger food in the store and those eating at the check out lines. It made me nauseous. So socially irresponsible to be licking fingers at the check out line and then touching magazines etc.

Since there has already been a run on masks, I am being proactive and stocking up on cold meds. Two bottles of Childrens Motrin and Nyquil for mom and dad.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Well to be honest You are the parent of this child. I know I would yank my child out of school in a heart beat if the flu was in my school district. You know how children are they pass everything they get. The school she goes to is just pre-school meaning its not a requirement. I had to dish out a butt load of money just to get my child to go about 3195 dollars just because my family is so well off according to those pukes. I would also get some colodial silver and look up natural cures because I don't trust the vaccine companies and I think their bottom line is profit instead of improving our lives.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Kindergarten is mandatory here, at least half day. I had to pay 2k for her to attend full day Kindergarten.

At this point, I'm wondering if she hasn't already been exposed. She had a few digestive symptoms today, no fever, but did go to sleep quite earlier then usual.

At this point, especially with her showing symptoms although they are mild, I will be keeping her out for at least the first part of the week and see how or if this progresses within her and within the community.

I made a thread, that disappeared into the ether lol, about them changing hospital polices regarding vistors on all the major hospitals in Indianapolis. They are now regulating vistors only to spouse or parent. Including all trips to the emergancy rooms and doctor visits within Clarian Health. I've never seen this type of behavior from the medical community ever.

As stated in that thread, it seems as if the medical community are saying one thing but behaving differently. Makes you wonder what they know that we don't.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Actually you are incorrect...Kindergarten IS NOT mandatory in the state of Indiana....kids can go straight to the 1st grade (my 2nd grader did not go to kindergarten and I am in Indiana).....I mean it is your decision to send your kid to school or not, but if you decide not to send them, the state can't do anything

and fyi I am not too far south of you and there are quite a few people sick with random "stuff" here ---"H1N1"?? don't know--- but the best advice I got was don't go to the dr. or hospital unless you or your kids are REALLY sick....the chances of you getting something bad is way up there if you go to where other sick people are!!! So as far as your concern about Indy hospitals....ummm just hope you don't have to go and it has always been policy to only let family members visit (though they can and probably would make exceptions)???

I don't blame you in the least for worrying about your child, but don't let fear get the best of you...that can't be good for the immune system

[edit on 3-5-2009 by mkultraangel]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
You are indeed correct on the issue of non-mandatory attendance:

Another area of confusion concerns the terms mandatory and required as pertaining to kindergarten attendance. Even though it is not mandatory that parents enroll their children into kindergarten, once a child is enrolled in kindergarten, the child is required to adhere to all state statutes, including attendance guidelines.

However, regarding hospital visiting policy - friends and extended family have always been able to visit all patients less those in ICU. This is a new policy allowing only a spouse or a parent:

Indianapolis - The flu outbreak is causing a major, temporary policy change for some of the largest hospitals in Indianapolis.

In fact, concern about H1N1 is so serious that places that care for the sick are placing restrictions on who can visit the sick.

Clarian Health announced the new policy Friday. It restricts non-essential patient visitors at its downtown hospitals, including Methodist, Indiana University, and Riley Hospital for Children.

The rule means only essential adult visitors: parents, spouses, domestic partners and spiritual counselors, will be allowed to visit patients.

Richard Wilson's wife is at Methodist for a heart attack. Doctors told his family Friday they had to go.

"I've been here for a week and we've been staying in the room. All of us have been able to visit. Today they came in the room and said one visitor per room due to the epidemic of the swine flu," Wilson said. "Now I'm taking them home."

Wilson's brother-in-law, Steve Jones, agreed with the hospital's change in policy.

"Because if they don't get a grasp on it here soon, it's going to get out of hand and it's just going to be impossible to get control over it," Jones said.

But the changes involve more than visitor restrictions. Clarian is also asking families to limit the number of people accompanying patients to the emergency room, waiting rooms, even their primary care doctor's offices.

Scott Lowder's family planned to visit his son in the emergency room, unaware of the new restrictions. Instead, he went alone.

But Lowder understands the risk and the reason for the rule.

"You know, an epidemic like that would fill up the hospitals rather quickly and then they wouldn't be able to take care of anybody," Lowder said.

Clarian says for now, this plan protects the public from potential exposure. Clarian plans to review the visitor policy on a daily basis, and as soon as it's deemed safe, the temporary restrictions will be lifted.

This temporary policy is effective immediately (Friday, May 1st, 2009).

Source

[edit on 5/3/2009 by Whisper67]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join