It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lithium in water 'curbs suicide'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm not sure about lithium specifically, but I saw a news report a few months ago bc someone had tested our public water and found all sorts various medications in it. At the time they said it was bc people would flush their expired or quit taking prescriptions down the toilet instead of throwing them away and that they had found their way into the water supply. Although, after reading the top article it does make me wonder if that is the case or if "they" are adding it delibrately. You would think that if remenants of flushed pills made it in, there would also be traces of urine and everything else our bodies eliminate, but supposedly not, only a whole list of meds.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I wish they'd make their minds up...

First they want to harm us with flouride and other chemicals in the water, now they want to save us.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I wonder what implications this would have on someone who already takes lithium as prescribed by a doctor?

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I am curious, I have a feeling of what the answer is, but would water filters do any good to pull out the added medications?

Would the particles be small enough to make it through a water filter or what? Also if they are small enough to get through a water filter would such a small amount really affect a person that much?

I wonder, would it be like the equivilant of an single aspirin in an olympic sized pool or just how much would actually be in a single 8 oz glass of water?

[edit on 2-5-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic

There you have it folks, undeniable proof of "seeding" a water supply.

Did you even read the article? There was no "Seeding" involved...

I find this unethical for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which being, what gives any government the right to "seed" a water supply, even in the name of helping people, with mind altering drugs?

Oh you find this unethical?

The Japanese researchers called for further research in other countries but they stopped short of any suggestion that lithium be added to drinking water.

I find this to be an attempt to put a positive spin on water "seeding", before disclosure that they have been doing it with other elements.

Thoughts?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

My thought is that you have no idea how to read.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I'm not going to bother to reply, as I've already had this conversation with someone else in this thread.

Perhaps you chould go use your apparently uncanny ability to READ the rest of the thread.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

I just thought it was so egregious an error on your part that it warranted repeating.

I hate it when people sensationalize things when communicating them.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Lithium does most certainly occur naturally and safely in water. Here in Georgia we have the town of Lithia Springs where naturally occurring water containing lithium is the highlight of the town's tourism, and has been for more than 1oo years. Check out this site, it is an official and historic seller of the water, the company is 115 years old, it tells about it being the 'fountian of health'.

www.lithiaspringswater.com...

Also there are resorts to go relax in lithium water, the deer there are so laid back from drinking it that hunting there is ridiculously easy. That was duly noted when the indians discovered the springs.

I think it is very relaxing, after a 2 day stay at the resort, and soaking in the water and drinking it, I felt so refreshed, so relaxed, it leaves you with a clear mind and a very optimistic outlook.

This is not the only place like it in the US , there are many others, most famous is in Oregon:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
Also there are resorts to go relax in lithium water, the deer there are so laid back from drinking it that hunting there is ridiculously easy.

Hmm doesn't that kind of give away what Lithium does to you. As you said in areas of high lithium levels the deer's senses and minds are so dulled that they do not act to protect themselves. Now apply that effect to a nations drinking water and look what have you got. A docile population that will do what you say and not question you. They will not revolt against new laws, they will not wake up and think for themselves because they are too far out of it. Wouldn't that be just perfect. The perfect workforce. Don't worry everybody you don't need to vote we can do it for you. Something you may want to think about.

-Cauch1

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Cauch1

It is relaxing, very relaxing, but docile is no way to describe it. People would not become mindless robots by drinking lithium water.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

No it just makes deer completely ignore their own survival instincts (according to your post).

I guess a whole nation consuming regular doses of lithium in the drinking water would just make for a more pleasant drive into work.

[edit on 9-5-2009 by 2 cents]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
This won't be happening anytime soon in my opinion, as in never. I can't see Drs and nurses saying that this is a great idea, it'd get opposed by people both in and outside of medicine.

Originally posted by dariousg
I'm sure there will be some people that will get on here and say how it sounds like a grand idea.

I highly doubt it, at least I hope they wouldn't but I guess we'll see lol. But I guess you're probably right in that "some" is a very low number. For them to defend this and say doing it on a larger scale would be a good thing....they wouldn't even have the credentials to talk really.

Since Fluoride isn't removed from an activated carbon filter, I doubt lithium would be.

[edit on 9-5-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Anyone already taking prescribed lithium would be overdosing if it was in the water too.

Babies on formula would be getting an adult dose of a mind-altering drug.

Fluoride is giving millions of people a lowered thyroid function, - most likely part of the reason for western society's weight problems.

Lithium is absolutely contraindicated in cases of thyroid malfunction.

No drug is safe for everyone and no drug should be given in random dosages.

Any government trying to force a calming drug on the population should be treated to a rerun of The French Revolution.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Lithium is used medically by psychiatrists for severe mood disorder manifested by depressive mood. In medical therapeutic doses the dose ranges would be much higher than presumably would be put in people's drinking water. Just intuitively, there is a logic to the idea that everybody might benefit from a low dose of Lithium, because if it helps depressed people's mood it might help everyone. But then you have the objection raised by some experts that raising people's mood is unethical. (Researchers on nanotechnology believe that nanotech can also raise people's mood and everyone would be walking around on a kind of artificial high which would not be reflective of their actual station in life.)

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Lithium in the water could easily be justified just like Flourine and Chlorine have been. Those elements are highly toxic and two of the most reactive elements on earth. They make up the majority of "free radicals" that people spend billions of dollars removing from their bodies. They are certainly responsible for thyroid dis-function, lower fertility in men, and many other common ailments. Lithium could easily become part of the RDA labels on foods and drinks, when it was found we don't get enough, it could then be added to water, there were far more studies against flouride than for it, but it still wound up in the water. There are far better ways to clean water than chlorine, but it is still in the water.

I wonder from a chemical standpoint, how it would react. LiCl, and LiFl are fairly stable compounds, but they would dissociate in water. What would then happen when they hit the body?

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Anyone watch the movie Serenity?

Remember the Planet Miranda?

The results of man tampering with man is never positive...

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Space cadet is right. Lithium is a metal that naturally occurs in the water in many places on the planet. In the 19th century, before psych meds had been developed, people with depression and other mental distress often visited "mineral springs" and found drinking the water healing. It wasn't until later that it was determined that it was the lithium in the water that was causing the beneficial effect.

I think governments that are considering this are far from plotting to control the minds of the population. They are only considering the possibility that adding low does of lithium might have benefits for the population as a whole. It may be an unworkable idea, as many here point out, and I'm sure that would be taken into account in any decision made.

Since when is it a crime to speculate or consider? If scientists couldn't even hypothesize there would be no scientific advances.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I take lithium daily and I feel great. However I chose to do so, I dont agree with putting it in water.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Isn't Lithium what batteries for the most part are made up of?

That just sounds so bad for the body .

Can anyone verify this?

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
Isn't Lithium what batteries for the most part are made up of?

That just sounds so bad for the body .

Can anyone verify this?

Lithium Ion Batteries are certainly the most popular batteries for electronics. Lithium is a metal halide with many, many uses, but drinking water isn't one of them. Medicine for seriously bi-polar yes, drinking water for masses, no!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join