It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amid swine flu outbreak, racism goes viral

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Amid swine flu outbreak, racism goes viral

www.msnbc.msn.com

“No contact anywhere with an illegal alien!” talk show host Michael Savage advised his U.S. listeners

Boston talk radio host Jay Severin was suspended after calling Mexican immigrants "criminalians" during a discussion of swine flu and saying that emergency rooms had become "essentially condos for Mexicans."

"This disgusting blight is because MEXICANS ARE PIGS!” an anonymous poster ranted on the “prison planet” forum

Savage speculated that terrorists are using Mexican immigrants as wal
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Mods, ATS is still acting oddly, and this isn't a swine flu thread but one on racism.

Well I guess that this was anticipated, at least by me.

The attempt to scapegoat Mexicans, immigrants, and Hispanic Americans is no to surprise Latino rights groups, who are now mobilizing a counter-effort.

Angelica Salas, executive director of the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles, called such comments “racist and ignorant beyond the pale … these so-called commentators shame themselves turning public health concerns into an immigrant bashing fest.”

“What we have seen is that the anti-immigrant groups are using this to shamelessly to promote their agenda,” said Liany Arroyo, director of the Institute for Hispanic Health at the National Council of La Raza.

Honestly this is disgusting to say the least.

I knew that many people would react this way but I didn't anticipate it coming from radio talk show hosts. These people are the ones spreading a virus, a virus of racism, fueling already ignorant people.

If you read the article it's interesting how the mexican community is responding to this.
Perhaps many racists can learn from the people they hate.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
To me this is racism at its worst, not only are those folks in mexico having to deal with this virus, now they are hit with this, complete ignorance to say the least.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The word 'racism' has taken on a pop cultural role of negative association in the western world for at least the last half century. Liberal Caucasians have taken the word as almost a highly revered example of what they dont want to be labled as.

Interesting that its not pointed out that Hispanics and Latinos cross racial demographics.

This may be a close-minded targetting but it is clearly technically not racism. And to imply so is merely for emotional reaction and a bit of provocative shock value.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

sadly, this type of behavior is expected. Racists will use any reason, regardless of the validity, to further their agenda.

Question is, when Mexico is under control and the flu is rampant in the states, will these hate mongering clowns have anything to say when the mexican and canadian airwaves are filled with "american pigs should be contained in their own pen."

I'd love to quarantine these pigs (the hate spewing people). The world would be a far nicer place if all we had to contend with was deadly diseases and not mind mushing crap from ignorant fools with microphones and bullhorns.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I don't like Michael Savage, I think he is ignorant on many fronts, but I don't see how his comments are racist in the slightest. He is probably wrongfully using this virus to spread the idea of a closed board policy...but that's about as far as it goes. It's not "racism." MSNBC is far to the left...remember this is the same network that called all Tea Party goers racist

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
oh right, this is so hugely different from the whole "illegal mexican workers are taking over texas/california" rubbish we've been hearing for the past year? this is different to the vigilante groups patrolling the border?

people love to feel superior to others, it's just the way some people are, they'll try to feel superior by being racist, we're all aware of it, but i've come to the realisation that there are other people who try to feel superior by being outraged at racism and hating racists, the truth is, it's all the same.

i was just as guilty of it as anyone up until the last few weeks, i thought "it's okay to hate mexicans as long as you say "illegal migrant workers", just don't say "mexican" or it's bad. it's cool to hate someone that you believe is racist." it's just stupid logic, the hate is the bad part, not the reasoning behind it.

all this hate, it's all the same, doesn't matter who you hate or why, it's all the one. arguing over what is a good reason to hate someone else, what's an acceptable reason, it's just nonsense. drop the hate bit, just say "i refuse to hate anybody or anything", and that's it, finished.

it's that simple.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Well we had 2 cases of swine flu in oxnard. Oxnard is in southern california and is just a satalite state of Mexico. Is this not survival of the fittest at work? This is the great god Darwin getting rid of all his weak believers

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
There is a lot of visitation between Mexicans living in the US and those that live in Mexico.

Since the flu started in Mexico, this seems like a common sense precaution.

If the flu had started in Germany and Mr. Savage suggested that you don't have contact with people that just came over from Germany, would that be racist?

Thank goodness this flu has been mild. If it comes back in late 2009, it may be worse and I think that there will be calls to close the border.

Flu back in 2009

Beat of luck to everyone and don't look for racism so hard.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Did anyone notice that this flu came after Obama came back from mexico?

Mexico's government says President Obama will visit the country on April 16 and 17.

The White House has issued a health advisory outlining "protective measures" for anyone who traveled on President Barack Obama’s trip to Mexico after a member of the U.S. delegation came down with flu-like symptoms – and tests on his family showed they’re probably infected with the swine flu.

Interesting that the president goes to a country and almost simultaneously after he leaves a horrible flu starts spreading through that country.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Munin

Not only that but one of his aids got the flu.

Presidential aid got flu

I wonder who else will get it.

join