It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HR 1388 Passes Senate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

HR 1388 Passes Senate

"The Obama Youth" Bill HR 1388 Passes House. HR 1388 has passed the House with a list of rules for the participants that include restrictions on political and religious activities.

‘‘SEC. 125. PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES AND INELIGIBLE ORGANIZATIONS.
‘‘(a) PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES.—A participant in an approved national service position under this subtitle may not engage in the following activities:

(1) Attempting to influence legislation.
(2) Organizing or engaging in protests, petitions, boycotts, or strikes.
(3) Assisting, promoting, or deterring union organizing.
(4) Impai
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
"The Obama Youth" Bill HR 1388 Passes House. HR 1388 has passed the House with a list of rules for the participants that include restrictions on political and religious activities.

‘‘(a) PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES.—A participant in an approved national service position under this subtitle may not engage in the following activities:

(4) Impairing existing contracts for services or collective bargaining agreements.
(5) Engaging in partisan political activities, or other activities designed to influence the outcome of an election to any public office.
(6) Participating in, or endorsing, events or activities that are likely to include advocacy for or against political parties, political platforms, political candidates, proposed legislation, or elected officials.
(7) Engaging in religious instruction, conducting worship services, providing instruction as part of a program that includes mandatory religious instruction or worship, constructing or operating facilities devoted to religious instruction or worship, maintaining facilities primarily or inherently devoted.

What ever happened to the First Amendment and "Congress shall make no law..."?

Looks to me like the Hitler youth all over again.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Ahh....
Step 1:
You take away the ability to: Organizing or engaging in protests, petitions, boycotts, or strikes. FOR anyone in the organization.

Step 2:
Make the organization MANDATORY!

HAhahhahahhah.....this makes me wanna cry!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I'm sure it was unintentional but you seem to be misquoting the first sentence of this section. It is not "A participant in an approved national service position under this subtitle may not engage in the following activities" rather, "An approved national service position under this subtitle may not be used for the following
activities:."

An important distinction as it refers to the office rather than the person. Anyone enrolled in such a scheme is permitted to do these things but not under the auspices of that work.

Carrying on with the text beyond point (7) is also worth while where one sees:

‘‘(8) Consistent with section 132, providing a direct benefit
to any—
‘‘(A) business organized for profit;
‘‘(B) labor union;
‘‘(C) partisan political organization;
‘‘(D) nonprofit organization that fails to comply with
the restrictions contained in section 501(c) of the Internal
Revenue Code of 1986, except that nothing in this paragraph
shall be construed to prevent participants from
engaging in advocacy activities undertaken at their own
initiative; and
‘‘(E) organization engaged in the religious activities
described in paragraph (7), unless the position is not used
to support those religious activities.
‘‘(9) Providing abortion services or referrals for receipt of
such services.
‘‘(10) Conducting a voter registration drive or using Corporation
funds to conduct a voter registration drive.

Source

9 & 10 are particularly worthy of note.

[edit on 1/5/09/ by Supercertari]

[edit on 1/5/09/ by Supercertari]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
This isn't legislation. It's a royal decree.

Interesting how all these wonderful momentous 'laws' are passed during a public health emergency. Obviously they've nothing better to do.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Calm down, people. This is to make sure that you don't spend a week hanging up fliers for Code Pink or Westboro Baptists and then claim it as your service credit.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SweetJustice

(4) Impairing existing contracts for services or collective bargaining agreements.
(5) Engaging in partisan political activities, or other activities designed to influence the outcome of an election to any public office.
(6) Participating in, or endorsing, events or activities that are likely to include advocacy for or against political parties, political platforms, political candidates, proposed legislation, or elected officials.
(7) Engaging in religious instruction, conducting worship services, providing instruction as part of a program that includes mandatory religious instruction or worship, constructing or operating facilities devoted to religious instruction or worship, maintaining facilities primarily or inherently devoted.

Wow. That's it in an obvious nutshell alright.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SweetJustice

It seems as though they don't want kids trying to do community service being used to influence legislation or anything similar.

7 is sketchy though, debatable. It doesn't really affect religion, because its just disqualifying it as community service.

Besides all that, this bill should not exist.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This program sounds alot like free labor for governmental and special interests groups at best, at worst it's indentured servitude, I bet they are salivating over the potential. Come clean my factory grounds, pick up cigarette butts so I don't have to pay somebody to do it for me. I thought we were supposed to be hating communism rather than embracing it.

There's twenty four hours in a day, 8 of them my kids, my wife, and I (and every-average-body else) will spend working, 8 of them are spent sleeping which leaves the other eight hours, some of which is preparing meals, driving about, bathing, and the other things which a person does in their routines. Where in the hell does Uncle Sam think we are going to have time to work for free, and what makes him think we are going to want to? Weekends? Screw that, I've got a garden to tend, a yard to mow, and things to do for me and my family. I don't care how much flag waving and Kumbaya singing they do... sorry Uncle Sam, I'm not working for free and neither is my family, and that's just about the bottom line.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
There's a whole lot of knee-jerk reactions going on regarding this bill. People are getting angry about blurbs that are being posted on the internet out of context, and seemingly no one is bothering to rid themselves of any ignorance on the matter.

As far as I have read, what's going on here is that there will be an expansion made to previously established programs. Kids will be able to volunteer their time in exchange for financial aid for college.

The reason for the above discussed language in the bill is to make sure that the service these kids perform is not of a political or religious nature. this language was added to appease conservatives in the senate who were afraid of these service groups would politicize charitable activities around the nation.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by suicydking

Just because it has the language does not mean for one minute that it will be adhered to by those that will run the project of anyone in a position of administration. It has no business being passed by the government or even considered under the constitution. They have NO mandate for this. They can institute a draft for armed service but not commandeer citizens or their children for free labor. That is what this does. They can label or pigeon hole all the language they choose but it still remains the government should never be in the business of this type of service. And in a very short period of time, it will be a business no matter how they spin it!

Zindo

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Well they don't have to make us older people do anything.They will have the minds and hearts of our children and our childrens children. Our kids and grand kids will never know a United States that allows real freedoms.
This law looks to be the brain washing machine,TPTB have been looking for all along. No more rights,just privleges

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Wow. Has anyone actually researched this at all?

House committee staff insist the GIVE Act will not change the voluntary nature of service. "Its ridiculous to suggest that our bill includes any effort to make service a mandatory requirement. All of the opportunities our bill provides to Americans are voluntary. Americans are proud of their service and volunteering and their interest in it is only growing, especially in the face of this crisis. Our legislation recognizes that more Americans than ever want to serve and give back and provides them with more opportunities to be able to do so," Miller spokeswoman Rachel Racusen said in an e-mail to FOXNews.com.

What exactly are you concerned about? Spell it out for me, because I don't understand.

As far as I can tell, the bill does this:

Expands upon existing programs

Allows participants in these programs to gain assistance with financial aid for higher education

Prohibits participants from claiming credit for participating in programs, groups or activities of a political or religious nature.

I would honestly like to ask for someone to present me with some information that is contrary to what I just posted that did not come from:

A - Alex Jones
B - A snippet that you saw or were emailed that quotes only part of the bill without explaining anything.

If I'm wrong and way off base here, I would like to know about it. I'm not being sarcastic.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by suicydking]

new topics

top topics

join