It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

flu masks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
There are a lot of misconceptions about masks and how they stop the flu virus. Let's set it straight.

An ordinary paper mask will not stop you from catching the flu, only stop you from spreading it. If you already have the flu, then by all means wear one; otherwise, you're wasting your time.

A N95 respirator mask will filter out particles of .3 microns or greater, which will stop water droplets from a sneeze or cough. This will not, however, filter the virus if its already floating in the air, as the flu virus is about .1 to .12 microns in size.

In summation: If you have the flu, wear at least a paper mask. If you're in an area where the flu has been found, wear an N95 respirator mask, and avoid places where the flu may be floating in the air, such as hospital emergency rooms.

[edit on 5/1/2009 by LiquidLight]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Aye to that sir. I think some people were definitely wearing them thinking that the mask was preventing swine flu from getting in their body. At least, that's how the news was portraying it.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Good thread. A lot of people seems to be confused about these masks. There seems to be a lot of bad info out there about these masks right now. I see in Mexico they are just giving people the regular surgical masks, but I guess the N95's are to expensive and they have to make it look like they are doing something.

new topics

join