It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Churchgoers More Likely To Back Torture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
""WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The more often Americans go to church, the more likely they are to support the torture of suspected terrorists, according to a new survey.""

www.cnn.com...

Talk about a quick study!

Seriously. This "survey" when did this take place? Time & effort put in this shpeeyl
Ohh here we go........

""The latest national survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, conducted April 14-21 among 742 adults interviewed in English and Spanish on landlines and cell phones, finds little change in opinions about the use of torture against suspected terrorists. ""
people-press.org...

Quoted from Pew Research Center.

If this is such an important survey, why was it conducted on land lines and cell phones?

What a disgrace.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by Ben Niceknowinya]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Well ima church go'er and I sure dont support it!!!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
742 people, wow, 300million people in america, so if 742 sway slightly one way, then 300 million of them MUST lean that way to!

I asked a man today what his favorite movie was, he said "A Beautiful Mind", so I figured after noting he lived in America, was an american, that every american in america unanimously chooses A beautiful mind, as their favorite movie- Same Logic.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
that's funny because in the eyes of the powers that were.. back when the character Jesus was supposedly around...

he was labeled a terrorist.. and tortured and punished accoringly.

reminds me of that Bill Hicks bit on christianity.. where he impersonates Jesus in heaven standing next to his dad (god) .. saying "look look dad they're all wearing crosses!... I'm not goin back! they're just gonna torture and crucify me again! no way am i goin back! you go! they're all wearin freakin crosses!!... isn't that alot like goin up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant sayin.. "just thinkin bout johnny!"

irony of the brainwashed christian masses...

so sad how the gnostic truths of alchemical metamorphosis for ascension have been smothered under the literalism and spirit of violence...

turn the symbolic aspects of the christening the crossing.. into a violent act and worship the violent act....
sick

satan runs the church no doubt.

-

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
742 people, wow, 300million people in america, so if 742 sway slightly one way, then 300 million of them MUST lean that way to!

I asked a man today what his favorite movie was, he said "A Beautiful Mind", so I figured after noting he lived in America, was an american, that every american in america unanimously chooses A beautiful mind, as their favorite movie- Same Logic.

How did you think they took polls?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimstad

Well years ago I thought they would take them better.

All polls are stupid and prove nothing. I know that.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Ever heard the expression "a cross to bear"?

When they wear crosses they aren't worshipping the cross, it is a symbolic way of bearing the cross for our sins, like Jesus did.

When you see it displayed it is to humble those who believe. To them, that cross was the tool that was used to wipe our moral slates clean.

They don't worship the crucifixation. They worship the man who gave himself to be executed so that our souls could be saved. They mourn his death and rejoice in his ressurection.

Some see it as a fairy tale and maybe it is. It still makes me feel a little warmer inside reading about Jesus and about his death and ressurrection. Kind of like watching a really good movie.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
The poll findings don't surprise me in the least. The support of war and torture = Christian. They're showing their true colors...
Here's another that might interest you.
Conservative Christians in US biggest backers of war on Iraq

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Ever heard the expression "a cross to bear"?

When they wear crosses they aren't worshipping the cross, it is a symbolic way of bearing the cross for our sins, like Jesus did.

When you see it displayed it is to humble those who believe. To them, that cross was the tool that was used to wipe our moral slates clean.

They don't worship the crucifixation. They worship the man who gave himself to be executed so that our souls could be saved. They mourn his death and rejoice in his ressurection.

Some see it as a fairy tale and maybe it is. It still makes me feel a little warmer inside reading about Jesus and about his death and ressurrection. Kind of like watching a really good movie.

I know.
but it doesn't matter. it's still an incorrect perception.

What you describe there is completely insane and perverse.

you worship someone who supposedly didn't want to be worshiped.. so that your own soul will be saved? he died.. so somehow your own soul is saved? how sad and pathetic a presumptive perception.

I suggest you focus on saving your own soul by practicing the REAL crucifixion WITHIN.... from breaking the stone up the river jordan towards the place of the skull.. to raise the bronze serpent up your spine..

but then again that's over your head so never mind.

-

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben Niceknowinya

Okay. If you say so. I don't know. I don't go to church. Church is bad..............mmmmkay? Sitting next to a tree on a Sunday morning or at noon, or sitting next to one one of God's creatiions at 3 AM is good, mmmmmkayyyy?

Oh, hell. You are welcome to sit with me under a tree while Lightnin ' Hopkins plays on my stereo and we sip some agave and even eat the worm, and consider how torture sucks. The sun will rise again and maybe my wife will bring us some hot coffee. It happens and it's great.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by kyred]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Whats with the personnel attack?

You stated something and I posted an explantion and correction to your post.

I don't agree with everything that is Christian, but I get the overall message.

If you have a differant belief then that is fine. Is your way the right way? Nobody, including yourself knows for sure. If it makes you feel better as a person the worship and study however you like.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Have you ever had to sit in church on Easter Sunday and old people are sitting in front of you farting and smelling like old people? That is torture, it should come as no surprise.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez

Have you ever had to sit in church on Easter Sunday and old people are sitting in front of you farting and smelling like old people? That is torture, it should come as no surprise.

My parents go to a very small church every Sunday and when I visit them I show them the respect they deserve and attend with them.

There is this little old lady who loves to sing and every Sunday they let her (at her request) get up and sing a song to the congregation. This lady cannot sing at all. It would make Simon Cowell puke all over the place at how bad she is.

Sitting through that is about as close to torture I have seen Christians come to being okay with.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Hmmmm.? I'm not quite sure I catch your drift there swifty KyRedjelly....something about a banjo, tequila, sitting next to a tree?
I have a link that might excite you there KentuckyRed......

www.lego.com...
Incase your brain tells you 2 be a little more "constructive"

and I'm guessing: www.affordabledentures.com...

And as for sitting next to farting old ladies in church plucky, no thank God!

I'm not religious, so I don't go to church.

I just find it to be a very contoversial yet bizarre story, and the research for this "survey" seems like it was done from a part-time temp with probably a shiny shi**y attitude, who calls 742 people (out of roughly 200,000,000) and assumes that people that go to church tend to wanna torcher people? WTF?
I just don't see how this was given proper thought, at all. This survey is an embarrasment, to itself.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by Ben Niceknowinya]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   

know.
but it doesn't matter. it's still an incorrect perception.

What you describe there is completely insane and perverse.

you worship someone who supposedly didn't want to be worshiped.. so that your own soul will be saved? he died.. so somehow your own soul is saved? how sad and pathetic a presumptive perception.

I suggest you focus on saving your own soul by practicing the REAL crucifixion WITHIN.... from breaking the stone up the river jordan towards the place of the skull.. to raise the bronze serpent up your spine..

but then again that's over your head so never mind.

That wasnt really called for. Its coments like that, that keep alot of people from responding. What ever your problem is no reason to take it out him.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Funny. out of all the church going Christians I know, only two support the torture, and they live in a single family line town in north Texas.

I just love these polls, that idiot media empires like CNN gobble up.

There are three types of lies: white lies, black lies, and statistics. Polls tend to come under all three.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

reminds me of that Bill Hicks bit on christianity.. where he impersonates Jesus in heaven standing next to his dad (god) .. saying "look look dad they're all wearing crosses!... I'm not goin back! they're just gonna torture and crucify me again! no way am i goin back! you go! they're all wearin freakin crosses!!... isn't that alot like goin up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant sayin.. "just thinkin bout johnny!"

-

That reminds me of a joke I heard during the Branch Davidian tragedy. This comedian told a joke under the assumption that David Koresh claimed to be Jesus, which he didn't, but that is beside the point.

Anyway, the Joke went something like this: "I was talking to this guy about the whole Branch Davidian thing, and the guy spoke up and said, well, firstly Jesus would never carr a gun around with him. I looked over at him and said, I am not to sure after the way we treated him the last time he was here."

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I may get flamed for saying this but whatever :

For any churchgoer to actually endorse and support torture means that they are sick in the head and needs help as all faiths teach us to respect and to love one another and to never pass judgement upon anything until we know all the facts.

Remember, when we torture the "terrorists" win!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
I may get flamed for saying this but whatever :

For any churchgoer to actually endorse and support torture means that they are sick in the head and needs help as all faiths teach us to respect and to love one another and to never pass judgement upon anything until we know all the facts.

Remember, when we torture the "terrorists" win!

Well I don't know which is worse... Torture or people like you believing this poll about church going people endorsing torture. I say we leave the terrorists alone and start torturing people that can't think for themselves and have no excuse...

top topics

join