It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: John Kerry and Those Pesky Military Medals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Kerry's so-called "phony controversy" instigated by the Republican party may not be phony. ABC News has obtained an old interview with Kerry from a 1971 Washington D.C. news program where he does indeed state he gave up from six to nine of his military medals. Now the question is, is it really a controversy?

ABCnews.GO.com By Brian Ross and Chris Vlasto ABCNEWS.com Kerry was asked if he gave back the Bronze Star, Silver Star and three Purple Hearts he was awarded for combat duty as a Navy lieutenant in Vietnam. "Well, and above that, [I] gave back the others," he said. The statement directly contradicts Kerry's most recent claims on the disputed subject to the Los Angeles Times last Friday. "I never ever implied that I did it, " Kerry told the newspaper, responding to the question of whether he threw away his medals in protest. Any politician has dirt in the past. The question is, does the dirt matter? In the case of Kerry where his record as a war veteran is an aspect of his campaign strategy, it just might. Related Stories Kerry in Vietnam Medal Flap Kerry Rejects Medals Questions As GOP-Created Controversy ABC footage contradicts Kerry claim Google Search Stay on-top with a search of Google news [Edited on 26-4-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I find myself amazed that this man falls back on his military record, specifically his medals, whenever possible.

Isn't he the same guy who was ashamed at his participation in the war that got him those medals?

But don't take my word for it:

Vets against Kerry
More Vets against Kerry

Etc.

Did anyone else catch this:
www.drudgereport.com...

Is he an idiot or what?

[Edited on 26/4/04 by COOL HAND]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
If someone came back from Vietnam and felt it necessary to protest that war by returning his medals, perhaps I could respect that opinion. But, to pretend to have these strong feelings, that man is not worthy to run for office. He hides behind the actions of others.

But in 1984, when he first ran for the U.S. Senate, Kerry revealed he still had his medals. According to a Boston Globe report on April 15, 1984, union officials had expressed uneasiness with Kerry's candidacy because he had thrown his medals away. Kerry acknowledged the medals he threw away were, in fact, another soldier's medals.

Kerry remains guilty of pandering to the group of the day.
In another flip-flop, Kerry's record on SUVs. While not exactly on topic, it shows a pattern of holding a position based on the group he is speaking to.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
He didnt need them they where just taking up space. Its not like he is going to use them. There are his, he can throw them out if he wants.

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Well.... let's be careful of a double standard here. Just what exactly was Bush doing 30 years ago?
Everyone does silly things when they're young. Oh... and to clarify... I dislike all politicians... certainly Bush and Kerry both. But is seems like everyone digs a little too far to look for dirt 30 years ago... no matter who it is.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Kerry is a big flip flopper he said he just threw away his ribbons and none of the medals ... But in some interviews he said that he threw the medals them selves away and no ribbons "he was giving them back to the country". So wich is it, either the ribbons and no medals or the medals and no ribbons. He is really getting cought in a lie here. Sounds like he can't remember what happend or that he dosen't want anyone to find out what really happend. To me either one is a disgrace upon our country I can't imagine this guy as a president of our great country.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Boston area talk radio was addressing this issue this morning, and I'm sure the PM shows will take the handoff.

Kerry now asserts he threw his ribbons over the wall, not the actual medals. The medals belonged to other vets. But vets that called in said that ribbons and medals were almost interchangeable; it depended on which uniform you were wearing.

So it sounds like it's like the SUV thing all over again; he drives them, but they belong to his FAMILY, not him.

It happened over 30 years ago. To vote for/against him based on this one issue is foolish, but put it together with the rest of what we know, a picture of Kerry begins to appear...like one of those hologram cards.

___

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by KillerT
Kerry is a big flip flopper

They all are. It is a game when every you get done with it. One winner one loser. Its a high stakes game at the least. Do what you have to, to win.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Agreed Kerry is a Big flip flopper. But it seems that Kerry is the best at flip flopping in front of everyone. Kinda like getting cought in this lie. Bush is much more down to earth person. If he flip flops it may be because it was a mistake.. Kerry on the other hand seems to do it with effiency every day LOL. Everyone makes a mistake every now and then. But Kerry and these medals or ribbons or whatever he threw over that fence was a deliberate act that he can't back away from now. We will find out what happend. And I bet ya that we will find out really soon also heheheh

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
IMHO, I don't care what Kerry did with his medals he so 'dearly' though questionably earned....
If he wants to toss them, then more power to him!

The issue, and the issue to those who have see this, know of this, and who have served, is why did he LIE about it? That's the crux of this whole thing folks....not what he did with the medals, its how he LIED when asked if he DID throw those medals away.....his reply was: "No, I didn't"....

"I never ever implied that I did it

As to the point made concerning:

Kerry acknowledged the medals he threw away were, in fact, another soldier's medals.

Again, IMHO, he is LYING again.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Kept my ribbons and medals, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I still have the paperwork, and have been reissued a few of them (one of which was the Kuwaiti Liberation)...

My father, a Nam vet, never kept his medals... but it wasn't until he started to 'come out', and associate with others, did he start buying them again.

Medals are nothing more than forged metal with fancy cloth attached. Who cares if he kept them or not... they are still in his records, and that is proof enough (unless he had an admin in his pocket) that he did those things.

Unlike Bush, as was mentioned earlier...

*Edit*
By the way... I didn't like having them (the medals). I felt ashamed for having recieved them (14 in total, but three were repeat awards)... I felt this way because I was on a carrier, safe and sound... while my father had slugged it out on the ground and got blown up (but still alive) for his... and I have more than him.

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by soothsayer]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
It's Not the Controversy, It's the Candidate

I don't care if John F. Kerry threw his medals -- or ribbons -- or ribbons and medals -- over a fence in Washington to protest the Vietnam War 33 years ago. What matters more to me is Kerry's response now to questions about what he did back then. I am not impressed.

I watched ABC newsman Charlie Gibson interview Kerry on "Good Morning America" this morning. Ignoring the subject matter -- whether Kerry tossed his ribbons or his medals at a 1971 anti-war protest -- I gathered the following:

-- Kerry is a man who speaks before he listens. He continually interrupted Charlie Gibson, sometimes to his own detriment. At one point, Gibson was trying to give Kerry the opportunity to clarify that he had tossed medals belonging to two other veterans over a fence in 1971 -- at the request of those other veterans. But Kerry plowed on. He seemed stubborn.

Won't be long before Teresa will come out and grab him by the ear and throw him in the SUV, because Mr. Kerry, we know who wears the pants in your house, buddy!

seekerof

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Puppet1: "I believe the puppet on my right shares my beliefs."
Puppet2: "Well I believe that this is an issue the puppet on the left will have to share with me"

Quit the squabling, they're all on the same team!!! They are just puppets serving the same agenda. Who controls the puppets? I'll leave that up to you, but there's one thing you'd better get used to right now. You can't trust ANY of them!!! This is all just a show for the ignorant masses, you might as well be watching Gladiators.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by KillerT
To me either one is a disgrace upon our country I can't imagine this guy as a president of our great country.

As I satated in a previous post It dosent really matter... its what he did that counts throwing the medals or ribbons or whatever back over the fence in the middle of a war is just a crappy thing to do especially when we had 100,000 men in nam at that time. It's a truly disgraceful thing to do.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
With the way Kerry's going it may be possible that he won't get the nomination. He has little credibility and those numbers in the polls are just getting worse. This would have been the fiirst time in a long time that I could have voted democratic. But with Kerry, I think it might be better to just stay home on election day. ( Eh, can't do that - never have.)

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Well.... let's be careful of a double standard here.

Just what exactly was Bush doing 30 years ago?

Everyone does silly things when they're young.

Oh... and to clarify... I dislike all politicians... certainly Bush and Kerry both. But is seems like everyone digs a little too far to look for dirt 30 years ago... no matter who it is.

I was getting kinda worried about you. Thank youy for being bipartisan.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I would rather support Kerry's Vietnam record in Vietnam as opposed to GWB in Alabama supporting a election his daddy wished him to participate in

On the other hand she wore a glove

GWB's Skull nickname was Temporary, Kerry's ambition at Skull was to become President. His wife Teresa Heinz was married to Republican Senator John Heinz, another Skull and Bones associate who died in an airplane crash. Anyone ever noticed how many politicians die in airplane crashes
not to mention Rock and Roll Stars

At least Teresa kept the Skull in the family circle
You do know what else Skull stands for

Deny Ignorance if you Can

TUT

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by tututkamen]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
All this arguing of semantics. One could easily look not 30 years ago but 2 years ago at George Dunya Bush's flipping and flopping.

Ill put it to you this way: flip flopping about what he did with his stupid medals, as opposed to starting two costly wars, compliance in the worst attack on US soil, and killing the constitution are far greater threats than a punk young officer in nam tossing away a few chunks of metal and not being sure if he wants to support a war or not.

Bar none, Bush is a greater evil in this case.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
No. It's a BS issue. Bush doesn't have a leg to stand on with regard to his military record. Kerry is a war hero, despite what people say to the contrary. While Dubya was down in Texas getting shytfaced, Kerry was in the 'Nam getting SHOT at.

Kerry won his medals. Kerry has every right to do with them as he pleases. GIVE ME A BREAK!

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
i thikn id rather trust kerry over bush. bush didnt even attend national guard meetings. which is very odd.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join