It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Soldiers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Hello all,

Firstly I'd like to point out that I'm not having a go at anyone, I just want genuine oppinions/responses to a genuine question. In the eyes of God and the Christian religion (and that of many other religions) its a sin to kill a fellow human being, so I'd like to question how religious (Christian) soldiers justify the killing of their enemies?

Doesn't the bible say its wrong to kill another human being? Now forgive me if I'm wrong but this rule applies regardless of the circumstances? So isn't it wrong for a Christian soldier to kill another person in battle?

I might be wrong but I don't think the Bible justifys killing another human being for their own country?

Also, why is it that foreign fighters like the Taliban think its okay to kill in the name of God? I know the majority believe if they die for what they believe in they will go to heaven with 7 wifes etc but is that really what their religion says? Or is it their warped interpretation of such?

Again, I'm not having a go at anyone but I'd love to hear from a religious former or currently serving soldier who can justify their reasons for killing another human being in the context of the bible?

Thanks

EDIT: To add, if people read my previous posts/threads you'll realise I have a problem with the so called "do-gooders" I'm just genuinely interested in peoples oppinons and views on this, not saying its wrong for a religious soldier to kill someone, I just want to hear their reasoning behind it.

[edit on 30/4/09 by Death_Kron]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The old Testament didn't seem to make any statements regarding not killing, to the contrary, there was a lot of murder and mayhem in it.

As for Christians, I recall back in the Middle Ages, that one of the Popes at the time issued a statement that gave forgiveness to knights in the Crusades for killing.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I've seen a priest swinging an AK with authority, so I guess it's okay for laymen. Most of my friends in the military were Christians, but "justification" never came up. I guess each one dealt with it in their own way.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
The old Testament didn't seem to make any statements regarding not killing, to the contrary, there was a lot of murder and mayhem in it.

As for Christians, I recall back in the Middle Ages, that one of the Popes at the time issued a statement that gave forgiveness to knights in the Crusades for killing.

First of all, the Pope's decree is NOT the Word of God.

Secondly, as with a lot of "discrepencies" in the Word, it comes down to translation from Greek, Latin & Aramaic(sic?).

What I was taught, is that "Thou Shalt Not Kill" was more aptly translated as "Thou Shalt Not Murder".

2 totally different definitions.

I don't believe a righteous and just God would forbid defending one's self, family, and nation.

[edit on 30/4/09 by MajesticJax]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
From the tone of the post it sounds as though you think US soldiers are killing innocent civilians and defenseless babies. When someone is shooting or launching RPG's at you in my opinion it's self defense. You could then bring up the argument why put yourself in a position where you have to do this... and that I don't have a good answer for. For soldiers who were drafted (old school) they didn't have a choice, and the Bible does say to obey the laws of the land.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

"From the tone of the post it sounds as though you think US soldiers are killing innocent civilians and defenseless babies."

I didn't get that at all from any post prior to yours. Care to share?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MajesticJax

I never said that the Word of the Pope over rode God, I'm just saying what i can remember that was relevant.

I never brought up anything about discrepancies, the New Testament is fairly straightforward on how to treat another person.

The Old Testament features killing women and children, or claiming the young female children as spoils.
God himself, according to one chapter and verse, applauds a fellow who gutted a man laying down with a Gentile.

He only becam a righteous and just God after the new Testament.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I just hope that the Christians truly are soldiers, and are ready to fight the evil that is coming, and will not be sheep, and be led to the slaughter like so many times before. Watchers, you know them as Angels, will not help us in the fight. This is up to us alone. For those who have put their faith in something not tangible, I feel sorry for you. Align yourself with the Army of Light instead.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
From the tone of the post it sounds as though you think US soldiers are killing innocent civilians and defenseless babies. When someone is shooting or launching RPG's at you in my opinion it's self defense. You could then bring up the argument why put yourself in a position where you have to do this... and that I don't have a good answer for. For soldiers who were drafted (old school) they didn't have a choice, and the Bible does say to obey the laws of the land.

If you re-read my original post you will find that I never once mentioned the US or babies, neither did I mention anyone that can be described as "defenseless".

I also stated that I wasn't having a personal attack against anyone, rather I wanted to hear people's genuine oppinions and justifications.

Please read what I originally wrote before jumping to conclusions and making assumptions.

[edit on 30/4/09 by Death_Kron]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

From the tone of the post it sounds as though you think US soldiers are killing innocent civilians and defenseless babies.

Well you have to admit they have been doing that, innocent civilians and defenseless babies are being killed in Iraq for example.

The very nice born again xtian Bush and the very nice catholic Blaire lied to their electorate and went and bombed the hell out of quite a few innocent people.

This was no self defense this was outright murder, when a baby is screaming from the effects of depleted uranium, what bloody difference does it make if the bibles say "thou shalt not kill" or "thou shalt not murder " ???

Didn't the jesusgod also say "Turn the other cheek"? seems like xtian soldiers can justify any killing they chose to do by hiding behind their imaginary god.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman

From the tone of the post it sounds as though you think US soldiers are killing innocent civilians and defenseless babies.

Well you have to admit they have been doing that, innocent civilians and defenseless babies are being killed in Iraq for example.

The very nice born again xtian Bush and the very nice catholic Blaire lied to their electorate and went and bombed the hell out of quite a few innocent people.

This was no self defense this was outright murder, when a baby is screaming from the effects of depleted uranium, what bloody difference does it make if the bibles say "thou shalt not kill" or "thou shalt not murder " ???

Didn't the jesusgod also say "Turn the other cheek"? seems like xtian soldiers can justify any killing they chose to do by hiding behind their imaginary god.

Unfortunately war will always bring innocent casualties, but again that wasn't the sentiment of my OP.

I'm not talking about the war in Iraq specifically, I'm talking in generic terms related to religion.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to reply to post by jjkenobi

I'm not talking about the war in Iraq specifically, I'm talking in generic terms related to religion.

Fair enough, what strikes me as totally ludicrous is that the most religious country (primarily xtian) starts more wars than any other country on the planet.

It is alleged that around 80% of the population of this nation claim to be xtian ,so one would assume that 80% of their armed forces are xtian.

One would assume that the average xtian soldier was an xtian before joining the armed forces. So it strikes me as completely insane that a so called follower of the jesusgod would seek a career where the job has only one purpose, which is the killing of other people when ordered to.

What is also interesting, is that the countless wars they have been embroiled in have been against a non xtain enemy, thousands of miles away.

Perhaps when the jesusgod said "love thine enemy" he only meant until they decide to buy a bigger gun, in case the xtians decide to attack them .

[edit on 30-4-2009 by moocowman]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MajesticJax

Thank you, Majestic.

You are correct. The King James version is truly a remarkable book, but there were a couple times where the interpretation was not exactly precise.

"Thou shalt not kill."

For a student of the Bible, this would appear to be contradictory, as God required killing at times, and outright slaughter when it came to taking the land promised them.

The more accurate translation to English, would be:

"Thou shat not commit murder."

Difference? War and defense is not murder.

Even in the New Testament, we find a Centurion converting to Christianity, and no mention of changing his occupation.

I always thought that a whole lot of folks actually need killing, but I suppose in their due time.

In the fight against militant Islam, I'll not judge them, as that is reserved for HIM.

I'll just arrange the face-to-face.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajesticJax

Originally posted by RuneSpider

First of all, the Pope's decree is NOT the Word of God.

Secondly, as with a lot of "discrepencies" in the Word, it comes down to translation from Greek, Latin & Aramaic(sic?).

What I was taught, is that "Thou Shalt Not Kill" was more aptly translated as "Thou Shalt Not Murder".

2 totally different definitions.

I don't believe a righteous and just God would forbid defending one's self, family, and nation.

[edit on 30/4/09 by MajesticJax]

Very true. But how his flying a few thousand miles to go to somebody else's country and kill them their defense ??

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

They wouldn't be shooting RPG's at us if we were not there though.

RPG's can't hit us if we stay in the U.S.

Drafted soldiers had no choice , that is correct.

Protecting your family and your home and their lives would be acceptable. Going after and pursuing somebody , and killing them is not.

Even if they fire at you first, you are invading their home.

If iraq or any country over there shipped soldiers over here and did what we are doing to them, we would be outraged and not allow it and be pretty much exactly how they are.

IT is the same for both people no matter where you are.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Hey, that's why we all joined the military.

To see new places, experience new cultures, meet new people, and kill them.

Our Trade Towers were dropped.

That was just the straw that broke the camel's back. The US had been under attack all over the Middle East already. Embassies and such.

You'd see a little more clearly if you'd pull your head out of your fourth point of contact.

Those who were Airborne will understand clearly.

You can guess.

new topics

top topics

join