It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans hate the French?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I really hate that this thread was even started since I too now have to comment.
Six months ago had I been asked this question I would have stated similarly, arrogance. I would have further brought you off your high horses (that's horses not orses) and told you exactly how elegant a language you have, that the only animal I know of that talks through its nose is a pig.

I would have gone on to say that you destroy through perversion the English language (its Canadian not Canadien) that Canada was under the control of the British Monarchy, that my patriotism was in "Her Majesty's service" as recorded on my honorable discharge, that I was willing to fight and die for my country whcih included Quebec, that I voted FOR the separation of "keybec" and that although numerous referrendums had been brought forward the French remained.
My logic was that like a leg hold trap, it is better to chew off a limb than for the body to die.
I resented being brought up in a country that taught me English then enter the French and now I can't have this/that job because I don't speak French? I wonder what melting pot means to a Frenchman and don't you realize that as a multinational society you in effect discriminated against the rest of them/us?
I also questioned the wisdom of making road signs bi-lingual (multi-national society remember) when in the real world, signs are made in different shapes to aid the color blind. But the arrogance (and lame brain) of the French need to have it spelled out at the cost of millions of tax payer dollars. I know why, a Frenchman explained it to me, it's easier for an English person to learn French than for a frenchman to learn English... LAZINESS
I'd also point out the economy and how I was even told (by a Frenchman) that the French are having a silent war, undermining from within. The dollar is weaker, the military is weaker (55,000 police in NY and thats the size of Canada's military now) and the education system is based on French immersion... subversion more aptly describes it. Hey, you opened this can of worms, lets go on...
As a British monarchy, why didn't Canada stand behind England? Instead, it now follows France's footsteps, albeit hypocracy in the light of points already mentioned, 'nuff said about that.

I'd further have pointed out that although I was born in Canada, the addage "love it or leave it" I left to live in America and have noticed cultural differences , (manners) that the French are void of. I had seen French blowing noses in table cloths and when asked if they did that at home they replied sure, why not, nothing wrong with it. Elementary grace and the lack of was more than I could stomach.

That would have been my views six months ago, but my walk with the Lord has given me strengths and wisdom that no amount of French influence could ever have taught me, French bred hatred in me whereas now I have a love for all in my heart... but count French down there at the bottom somewhere. And thats not to say that there isn't hatred brewing in America, but in the Southern States, people respect others, children call you "Sir" or M'am" even the grown ups carry this common courtesy, a courtesy that the French just wouldn't understand.

And as for the French being peaceful, explain FLQ to the readers. Canada had terrorism decades ago and it was then (enter the French)that the country went down hill. Now I've heard and read all about French in early Canadian history and as far as that goes, get over it, ancient history and if you want to keep fighting the same battle you would lose again and maybe this time the whole of Canada would be a part of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. In fact, a number of scenarios had been written about this same civil conflict in Canada and I guess you know, I pull for the people and against the French arrogance.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to vent, I needed that. ...and I apologize for my reality. Perhaps you have something to say?
(Forgive me Lord)

[edit on 5-8-2005 by keybored]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
Part of the problem is that the French have a national feeling of self-importance and rebelliousness. They enjoy thumbing their noses at the rest of the world, and will often choose a position on a hot topic that is 180 degrees counter to the popular point of view.

Aren't they a lot like America then?

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Well..............

Cause they are French.

Actually, because of their government.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
I think the reason that a lot of Americans are annoyed with the French is the perception that they are a people who once were ascendant in world affairs until about a hundred years ago, are no longer, but still want to be.

This I agree with. In the 60's, Charles de Gaulle initiated the "politique de grandeur" (policy of greatness), which was meant to raise the French self-esteem after the defeat in WWII and Indochina. Hence the French nuclear bomb, among others... De Gaulle could have given France a stronger, more focused impact on world affairs if he had stuck to his two accomplishments: reconciliation with Germany and putting France forth as one of the two main architects of the European Economic Community.

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Most Americans dont care that the rest of the world hates them. We hardly ever leave our own country, we have always prefered to stay home.

And I'm sorry to say, those Americans who don't travel have a regrettable set of preconceptions on how the world should be... because, indeed, they don't travel. They don't understand why the European constitution couldn't be like the American constitution, but they've never even been to Europe... they think Africans are poor because they're lazy and corrupt... etc. I respect those who do not wish to travel, but those people - whatever their origin - should admit that they perhaps don't have all the information to judge other nations.

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
and the fact they're rifel droppers

Ah, if I had a dollar for every time I've had to correct people on this... and post my thoroughly-researched reply to that completely outrageous set of French alleged "defeats" throughout history... Wishing all the French soldiers in all wars to be cowards doesn't make it so. And wishing that the French under Napoleon had victories only because Napoleon himself wasn't of "feeble French stock" doesn't make it so... I'm vacationing in California right now, but next week, when I get back to my own computer, I'll post that reply yet again. Heck, why not?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by keybored
I would have further brought you off your high horses (that's horses not orses) and told you exactly how elegant a language you have, that the only animal I know of that talks through its nose is a pig.

I may be a nose-talking French Canadian, but at least I speak another language and am open to understanding other cultures.

I would have gone on to say that you destroy through perversion the English language (its Canadian not Canadien)

False. The term "Canadien" has existed since the latter part of the 18th century, when it was used by the French colonists ("les Canadiens") to differentiate themselves from the British ("les Anglais"). Just because the term also exists in the English language doesn't make it that language's exclusive property.

I resented being brought up in a country that taught me English then enter the French and now I can't have this/that job because I don't speak French? I wonder what melting pot means to a Frenchman and don't you realize that as a multinational society you in effect discriminated against the rest of them/us?

Canada is not a melting pot. It's a society that celebrates differences. I guess some English Canadians are still angry that we French Canadians haven't faded away or chosen to "rise to British civilization through assimilation" as Lord Durham wanted when he wrote his report on Canada in 1840... As for not being able to have this or that job, I will just point out that in the civil service you get a bilingualism bonus AND free French classes - including paid time off to take those classes. So what's the issue?

I know why, a Frenchman explained it to me, it's easier for an English person to learn French than for a frenchman to learn English... LAZINESS

I guess I don't count as a French Canadian then, I've spoken two languages since I was ten... oh wait, I guess being raised to British civilization has magically cured me of my "laziness", huh?

and the education system is based on French immersion...

Count how many English-language schools there are in Quebec and how many French-language schools there are outside of Quebec. You'll see that French immersion is far from being the issue.

As a British monarchy, why didn't Canada stand behind England? Instead, it now follows France's footsteps, albeit hypocracy in the light of points already mentioned, 'nuff said about that.

How did Canada follow France's footsteps? Could you provide examples? And besides, the Westminster Statutes of 1931 have guaranteed Canada an independent foreign policy... Canada happens to have the same sovereign as Britain, but it doesn't mean that it is subjected to British foreign policy. It hasn't been since WWI.

I had seen French blowing noses in table cloths and when asked if they did that at home they replied sure, why not, nothing wrong with it. Elementary grace and the lack of was more than I could stomach.

And I've seen English-Canadian drivers pick their noses at red lights. And smelled unwashed people on the subway in Toronto. So what. Bad manners transcend culture or language.

Now I've heard and read all about French in early Canadian history and as far as that goes, get over it, ancient history and if you want to keep fighting the same battle you would lose again and maybe this time the whole of Canada would be a part of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

So what do you recommend? That 7 million Canadians out of 29 renounce their language and culture and assimilate into the majority, because we are so undeserving? If so, isn't that a kind of arrogance as bad as that which you're accusing the French of?

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Well..............

Cause they are French.

Actually, because of their government.

Why do I hate the french?
Cause some steal my fish, why do I dislike americans in general?
Because all they say is "are you from ENGAAALAIND"?

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

How did Canada follow France's footsteps?

Oh, let me see, maybe by not standing behind the war on terror for one, but then the duplicity with which France acts is evident isn't it?

As for your equating dinner table ettiquete with a driver in their car(was he French? how would you know???), your arrogance is only surpassed by your ignorance.
You state the English schools in Quebec, you must be too young to remember Quebec's law that it was against the law to advertize in English. The net gain of this one act alone was Sun Life Insurance Co. not only moving out of Quebec, but all of Canada. There are other cases I'm sure since the Canadian dollar (which has the Queen of England on it I might add, or at least used to have) has steadily weakened all becuase of the French and their plum (poor little me) syndrome. French have undermined the Faith of foreign investment but lets go on...

You skirted around my question asking you to explain to others here what the FLQ was and since you refuse to do so allow me to do it for you.
FLQ or Frontier Liberation de Quebec kidnapped and murdered to sway a French power into being, namely the separatist movement and you are still among the rest of Canada aren't you? (I'm sure if you google Laporte and FLQ you can read all about it) Has anyone been charged for this? I understand that the French influenced government deemed self exhile for 10 years as punishment enough and as far as I'm aware there is no investigation.
You read like an educated man and I gather this from your not making a statement and turning it into a question with a question mark so I do see you have an education. I too speak other languages, my heritage is that I was born in Canada, my parents were immigrants and I don't try to impose my heritage upon you or anyone else even though I am proud of my background. I have a relative on a postage stamp, regardless, lets go on...

Your claim that Canada isn't a melting pot again shgows your arrogance and lack of acceptance towrds ALL the cultures that make up Canada and denying it don't make it so. If (as you contend) Canada isn't a melting pot then by your own logic there is only French/English. How convenient to overlook German, Italian, CHinese, Pakistani, in fact every country in the world has a representation within Canada that you and the arrogance of the French can so conveniently ignore.

If as you contend there are English schools in Quebec, my how times have changed... my high school (not in Quebec) used to be a "collegiate and vocational institute" and was re-named ecole secondaire. Had I the freedom as a child in school to have been given a choice I wouldn't have the opinion of the French that the French themselves have ingrained within me, I probably wouldn't have dropped out in the middle of the 11th grade, and I'd be a lot further in life than I am so in this I'd like to say thank you very much.

For the sake of keeping peace within this forum I'd suggest you not even bother to reply since I won't back down and push come to shove, you don't want me to go on. What I have to say just might hurt.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
As far as Canada following in France's footsteps, you didn't provide a direct link that would prove that assertion. Canada "not joining the war on terror" is a rather vague statement - isn't the fact that Canada has troops in Afghanistan and has had them there for four years enough? Or the recent increases in military spending the Canadian government announced? What does it take for a country to be "in the war" on terror? If a country goes with every decision the US makes in the war on terror except one, does that mean that country is not standing behind the war on terror?

As for your equating dinner table ettiquete with a driver in their car(was he French? how would you know???), your arrogance is only surpassed by your ignorance.

Insults aside (which, btw, I find interesting coming from a "Christian" who apparently loves everybody) I don't quite understand what you mean by the statement above. Am I to believe that if I see a person not observing good table etiquette or picking his/her nose in a car, I must conclude that person is French?

You state the English schools in Quebec, you must be too young to remember Quebec's law that it was against the law to advertize in English.

Advertising in English or French has nothing to do with schools. Since we're on the topic of schools... Off the top of my head, I can name two English-language high schools in the Gatineau region from which I hail (D'Arcy McGee and Philemon Wright) as well as one college (the Heritage College). There are two English language universities in Montreal (Concordia and McGill) as well as at least one college (John-Abbott).

since the Canadian dollar (which has the Queen of England on it I might add, or at least used to have) has steadily weakened all becuase of the French and their plum (poor little me) syndrome. French have undermined the Faith of foreign investment but lets go on...

How have you come to the conclusion that the French are at the source of the weakening dollar?

You skirted around my question asking you to explain to others here what the FLQ was and since you refuse to do so allow me to do it for you.

Were you asking me personally to do so? I must've missed that. As for the FLQ October Crisis, you'll note that it was Trudeau (a French Canadian) who declared martial law, put an end to the hostage situation and got the kidnappers to surrender. True, it ended with hundreds of Quebecers being held and questioned while the kidnappers got a one-way plane ticket to Cuba, and I for one agree that he completely mismanaged the situation. However, if one is not satisfied with the way the investigation was conducted, one has to look at the way Trudeau governed in general, not at the fact that he was a French Canadian.

If (as you contend) Canada isn't a melting pot then by your own logic there is only French/English. How convenient to overlook German, Italian, CHinese, Pakistani, in fact every country in the world has a representation within Canada that you and the arrogance of the French can so conveniently ignore.

Since you're directly accusing me of ignoring the multicultural representation within Canada, let me say that I believe Canada was created by three founding people - the French, the English and the First Nations. It doesn't mean that the state shouldn't provide services to the ethnocultural communities (and it does - Immigration Canada as well as Immigration Quebec, for example, can provide services in a score of languages), but the country's identity demands that there be a founding principle that tells us who we are as a nation and where we come from. I for one am for a country where ethnocultural communities can retain their distinctive language and culture while also adopting one of Canada's official languages, be it English or French.

If as you contend there are English schools in Quebec, my how times have changed...

Please see below.

www.qesnrecit.qc.ca...

For the sake of keeping peace within this forum I'd suggest you not even bother to reply since I won't back down and push come to shove, you don't want me to go on. What I have to say just might hurt.

I respect your right to state your opinion and stick to it. However, since in your post you accused me of arrogance and ignorance, and demanded answers from me on specific issues, I think you'll understand if I say I feel compelled to reply.

Edited to fix quote code

[edit on 8-8-2005 by Otts]

[edit on 8-8-2005 by Otts]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
and I apologize for my heated comments. The question had been asked and I stated my reasons. However flawed they may have been I reacted in a way that is contrary to my Christian nature and for this I apologize for offending anyone. Having lived it I naturally carry an opinion and the strength of it stems from my disappointment with the way my country had treated me and the only finger of blame I have is at the French.
Regardless, my opinion is worth the paper its written on and doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things.
We have differences, lets leave it at that.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Why do Americans hate the French?
Because they can't stand that someone dared to not ally with them against Iraq.

[edit on 12-8-2005 by AtheiX]

[edit on 12-8-2005 by AtheiX]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
In the 60's, Charles de Gaulle initiated the "politique de grandeur" (policy of greatness), which was meant to raise the French self-esteem after the defeat in WWII and Indochina. Hence the French nuclear bomb, among others... De Gaulle could have given France a stronger, more focused impact on world affairs if he had stuck to his two accomplishments: reconciliation with Germany and putting France forth as one of the two main architects of the European Economic Community.

- I think you are wrong here.
With each passing year I can see the correctness of de Gaulle's policy of enabling France to be independant in all things, or as near as dammit.

The current US attitude towards France (and by extension Germany and the rest of Europe) and her daring to hold a rather small contrary view (despite the men and material she supplies in Afghanistan) has proven de Gaulle absolutely correct.

I wish a world with less nuclear weaponry but I sure as hell can see why France would never be dependant on anyone else for that fundamental security.......especially a USA with such a crassly bigotted section of their society.

But at the end of the day it is worth noting that the bigots, like all bigots, are the minority and their moment will pass and sanity will establish once again.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
To the people who don't like France:

God, you know, I am an American and I am disgusted with the way that Americans act, I mean come on. I would love to think that Americans are generally smart. But alas, about half are ignorant to the world and what really goes on with it.
This is to whoever said that France wasn’t going to anything after 9/11
1) They were behind us 100%, until we wanted to go into Iraq, then they were like, 'That's a bad idea'
2) Their President was in New York before Our President after 9/11
I would also like to point out who ever thinks that we did something magnificent for bailing them out of world wars:
1) Call it paying them back for spending all of their money and sending us troops when we were fighting Britain for our Independence (we would still be under British control if it wasn’t for them)
2) Like they were the only ones that surrendered to Germany, why should all the hate be angered to them. Like Poland, they let Germany take over because it was a smarter move then allowing their people to be killed
3) I do admit that their battle plan wasted money and was stupid (maginot line) But to hate all the French is ridiculous.

French and Americans are so alike, that's why we don't get along. Like mother (France, they are older you know) and child (US) they are so alike that they fight constantly and don’t really like each other.
Any American that has a problem with France, step back and think (yes I said think, its not that hard) about it before this biased opinion forms in your head.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
France is a spoiled country. They have very nice weather, nuclear power, and can grow more than enough food. Therefore they're a little bit bratty. But to hate them for it as the Americans do is taking things a little too hard. If France had a president who was an American lapdog (just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it couldn't happen, Sarko's headed in that direction) France hate would return to it's normal level. All this crap is basically the US saying "you have to agree with us ALL THE TIME." No country is right all the time. Even if France does things for the wrong reasons (like not going into Iraq because Saddam traded with them) at least it sometimes does the right thing.

I wish I was French. Then I could enjoy maxed out welfare and then in ten or twenty years take part in the civil war against the Muslims, which would actually be doing something for Western society.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join