I have this motto I try to live by, "Prepare for the worst, Expect the best."
Being an R.N., I have spent time thinking about what I can personally do to help people prepare for this imminent Swine Flu epidemic. I have compiled
a list of common sense things we should have on hand in the event we are hit hard by this Super Bug.
1. Disposable gloves. Packages of about 10 pair are available at any drug store or super market.
2. Soap either antibacterial or just regular soap.
3. Plenty of straws.( I'll explain in a bit ).
4. At least 5 boxes of acetaminophen. 5 boxes of Ibuprofen. (Any brand will do).
5. sterilized small knives
6. Any bandages 4x4's would be best.
7. Several boxes of Antihistamines. Zyrtec, Benadryl, Claritin, Etc. (Over the counter or prescription.)
8.Any prescription you have for bronchial dilators. Asthmatic's, you will know what I mean. Try and fill at least 3 months worth.
9. Any prescription you have for Antibiotics. Old or new! In an emergency it won't matter.
10. Over the counter Cough Medicines, (Your choice) At least 3 bottles, *Remember to have medications dosed for children! Pediatric dosing is always
done by weight. Age does not matter.
12. Antidiarrheals(over the counter)
13. Cough Drops
14. Masks * Are Not Going To Help Much, because viral particles are so small they will get through.* However, they will reduce the AMOUNT of
particles that you are exposed to. ( the one's at Home Depot or Lowe's are as good as any hospital mask's) * YOU WILL NEED TO SECURE THEM TO YOUR
FACE WITH TAPE IN ORDER FOR THEM TO BE SOMEWHAT EFFECTIVE. * Very Hard To Breathe with them on.
15. Tape ( paper tape would be best, if you can get it.
16. Rubbing Alcohol
* Any Prescription you take on a regular basis. Fill at least 3 months worth.
Here are some natural remedies that will boost your immune system and help prevent infections.
* At least 1 bottle of Colloidal Silver( Try and find 10ppm, it will say on the package)
You will find this at any health food Store.
Silver is a natural Immune booster. *START TAKING TODAY* You only need 5-7 droppers a day. = 1 teaspoon. It is formulated for Children and
* Garlic Powder, Minced or Fresh will work. Garlic is an Antibiotic. * Many people die after getting the flu due to secondary bacterial Infections.*
Ear Infections are a biggie. Ear Pain is horrible!! It can be relieved by placing 1 cap full of Olive oil in your Ear followed by a Cotton Ball. It
Works!! I don't know why, but it does! I have personal experience with Ear infections.
* Cinnamon will help with stomach Ailments as well as diabetic problems and will also help lower your blood pressure, naturally. No more than 1
Teaspoon dissolved in Hot Tea or Hot Water( If things get really bad).
* Turmeric Has great healing properties. Boost your immune system. Did you know India has the smallest incidence of cancer, because they eat so much
Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures.
In the event that you are facing a LIFE THREATENING EMERGENCY and your loved one can't Breathe AND ALL HOSPITALS ARE FULL, YOU CAN DO SOMETHING AS A
LAST RESORT................* THAT IS IF, THEY WILL DIE IF NOTHING IS DONE!*
Perform an emergency tracheotomy:
You will be creating a very small hole in the patients airway through an incision in their throat to assist their breathing.
How to Perform an Emergency Tracheotomy This procedure, technically called a cricothyroidotomy, should be undertaken only when a person with a throat
obstruction is not able to breathe at all-no gasping sounds, no coughing-and only after you have attempted to perform the Heimlich maneuver three
times without dislodging the obstruction. If possible, someone should call for paramedics while you proceed.
This is an excellent article with diagrams on exactly how to perform this procedure.
Bookmark this link! You may need It.[www.tracheostomy.com...
ATS Has some of the best and brightest minds bar none, let's get busy and start THINKING.
Feel Free To Add whatever you think will help!! My list is just to get you started.
Thank you for your thoughts,