It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Did Ufology Go from ExtraTerrestrail to Aliens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
For many years now people interested in the subject have been using the term Alien like an addiction to a drug .

Regardless of ones preception or views on the subject at hand.

If I say to you Aliens do not even exist accept for the ones created by Hollywood Films and Media coverage of this subject would you agree.

Do Extraterrestrials from other Advanced Societies call Human Beings Aliens ?

Ets would be a more appropriate to the subject as a whole on Planet Earth.

We are Extra Terrestrials to other Civilizations beyond Earth.

It might just be a word to some but the use of it can and is not reflected in the true nature of this .

Its like giving up a bad habit.

It sometimes take's along time to do it but it can be done.

I am interested also in how people came to using the word Alien was it the Hollywood movies,books you read ,the Internet how ?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Alien from alienus in Latin meaning strange or foreign. The meaning is the same in English, and it is a perfectly good word. Extraterrestrial was coined more recently, but I cannot find out who first used it. Does anyone know?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by boethius

Extraterrestrial, grammatical origin is from 1865-70. The word is a combination of extra & terrestrial. Kind of like extra ordinary or extraordinary.

dictionary.reference.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cmdraleon
If I say to you Aliens do not even exist accept for the ones created by Hollywood Films and Media coverage of this subject would you agree.

I would agree that the possibility that Aliens do not exist is quite viable. Would you agree that the possibility exisits that ET's and Aliens do not exisit? Would you agree that it is possible that ET's and Aliens do exisit? Which statement do you react more to?

I believe you might have taken exception to the connotations of this word "Alien" rather than the actual context it appears to be used in. The use of this word in the ufology field, tends to imply heavily that the experiences people have reported of encounters with other beings, denote that these beings are Not from this planet - and moreover that their experiences have to some extent proved this presupposition.

Perhaps the use of the word Alien instead of ET is misleading in a way. However, it is just a word used to convey a concept. You don't have to agree with the concept, and likewise others do not have to agree with your interpretation of the word "Alien", and it's relationship to the ufology field.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The same way illeagal imigrants are also referred to as illeagal aliens. Etra Terestrial and Alien are also interchangeble. You can use alien for a veriety of things such as "That languge is alien to me." in this case alien does not mean that that language is from another planet but instead it has another meaning. For some reason as soon as you start using the world alien most people think of Extra Terestrials which is not always the case, which is why in text efering to Alien capitalized, refers to Extra-Terestrial, where as lower cased it does not.

I know it is confusing when being spoken, but at some point the two terms both Extra Terestrial ans Alien became to mean the same thing, it is just like People who assume that UFO automatically means flying saucer or Alien or Extra Terestrial flying ship.

I know this isn't of great help but thought it might shed a little light on it.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cmdraleon

Are you still pretending to be a Alien, or are you back

to being a Human again ??

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Alien refers to beings that live in the same dimension as us. ETs refer to beings that come from other frequencies. I'm not talking about time or dimensional phase technology. I'm talking about consciousness that exist beyond our understanding of reality. In a realm that has advanced beyond our understanding of polarity. These ETs can exists within our reality and re-create fields or bubbles of energy that raise the consciousness of anyone within. On a planet such as ours, when mass consciousness is implemented, it brings forth great choas, as who and what we are in this moment come to light. This has been called the dark night of the soul. When all is known, there is nothing left but a choice for each of us to make. This has been called retribution, but its not the same thing. The wheat is going to be seperated from the chaff, and that means we will all choose a path. Finally people will understand things, and make a choice. There is no such thing as death.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkCyrus

There is an error in your sratement, what you are reffering to is Extra Dimentional beings or ED not Extra Terestrial beings or ET. Just to clarify. This includes dimentions and frequencies, they are comonly lumped in the same group.

[edit on 5/1/2009 by AlienCarnage]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cmdraleon
We are Extra Terrestrials to other Civilizations beyond Earth.

surely terrestrial refers to earth specifically, so we'ld be "aliens" to civilisations beyond earth, or "terrestrials" perhaps, but not "extra terrestrials" as that means something like "from somewhere that isn't earth".

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Terrestrial
refers to things having to do with the land or the Earth.

Terra may refer to:
In astronomy: The Latin, Italian, Catalan and Portuguese name for the planet Earth

The aliens should go to some language school and learn more languages than english

[edit on 1/5/09 by blackcube]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Same reason we call it "swine flu" instead of "H1N1"....

It's catchier.... It's as simple as that really. Which is sad...but true, nonetheless... The term "extraterrestrial" lends an air of credence, which is why it isn't used by the press, as they tend to want to sensationalize, and the term "aliens" works so much better in this context.

new topics

top topics

join