It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS POLL RESULTS: How Prepared Are You For Situation-X?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
We've got the weapons, the bug out bags AND we can last a month or two.
So if I had seen the poll (which I missed), I wonder what I would have answered.

The bug out bag and ammo is a good idea. We may only be left with squirrels and groundhogs.

Pack some seasoning, for garlic squirrel, hot and spicy squirrel, Cajun and cayenne squirrel. Maybe even taco flavored squirrel.

I do think everyone should get a book on edible plants, roots and tubers.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Hey, the 10% of users with places in the hills, think you could help out your fellow ATSers like me? I'm part of the entirely unprepared crowd.

If the big bad goes down I hope I have the time to U2U you.

I suppose I should make friends with survivalist.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I think for many people, they will be stuck where they are. I have a decent stash of food, and other goodies, and could last a while. What I find as important as any preparation, is what kind of neighbors do you have around you.? I live in an urban area, but have known my neighbors on both sides for over 30 years. When the SHTF, I need them on my side. I would be happy to share what I have with them, not just because they're my neighbors, but they are armed, and would cover my back also.
Bugging out is a great idea of you have a p[lace to go too, and the road isn't covered up with thousands of people with the same idea. Also, many of those folks would be armed. I think I'll stay at home and fight it out with the help of the neighbors.
When mass caos hits, I hope to be home with my family, gun ready, and keeping in touch with my neighbors, making sure we have a plan to cover each other. That's the only sensible thing I can do.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I would like to point out that the numbers for the "What's in my kitchen" category may be misleading. Don't forget MacGyver

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I have to fully agree with Nirgal on this one! It is not surprising at all. Anymore there are too many clueless people in the survival forum who think they know so much or will survive just because they have a gun or something to barter with. There are a lot of people in this world that don't give a s*** about your barter items or guns, theyll just kill you and have all the gear.

My level of preparedness? I have a BOB and weapons. But more importantly I have the knowledge and skills to survive as long as i want with or without a firearm in the wild.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
here s what i take from this. although many are not physically prepared they are mentally, all they need is the the start whistle, and there plan will kick into action. i suppose to complete there planning they need to be in full sit/x mode, and when that happens there will not be the usual peace time constraints, i didn't get the poll too... see yous on the dark side

[edit on 1-5-2009 by foxhoundone]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
people act pretty brave, but remember there are alot of things as far as daily living that we all take for granted. i think survival is a relative term. for instance...i'm 56 and i don't have the stamina, flexability, and conditioning, that i had in my early 30's. so being realistic, i would probably be among the first to perish even though i have a "GO" bag, some knowledge of the local terrian, and other essentials. age is not kind to the body...and the brain still tries to fool you into thinking so. i'm not being fatalistic, but i do know my weaknesses and strengths. mental agility would be primary, and physical agility would come in at last place.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Realistically, I'm slightly better prepared than "I have a bug out bag and a weapon". I have most of the equipment I need, but the big problem is water. And baby food. And diapers. With an infant, things are much more complicated. If I were on my own, I'd probably have a good chance. But with my wife and 10 month old son, I have a feeling that we may be screwed.
I live in a big city, and there's not much water around. I have a small condominium, so I don't have much room to stockpile food and water. I have some.

My family has a very large, well prepared place in the mountains. But it's several hundred miles from here, and might as well be on the moon if things go bad in a major way. I may be stuck here in the city with little water, little food, and a lot of firepower. I have gear and weapons to barter with, I suppose. If the balloon goes up, I may just fill both bathtubs with water and try to wait it out. I have no idea how we are going to feed the baby, and my wife is totally useless even if the power goes out for a couple of hours. It will be grim.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmy

relax pal i was brought up and taught by "old hand,s" taught me a trade and loads of useful stuff, that will help me to survive, more the merrier imo I'm sure there's plenty like me who would take on the wizened person lol

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I too did not know of this survey!

We have about 6 months worth of supplies. I am going into the dehydrating mode to supplement our supplies. I am also going to follow recommended suggestions in putting stored food into Mylar bags inside food appropriate tight containers with oxygen absorber packets, although I am also collecting can foods in which I don't have to go to this extent.

In doing research I found that purchasing just MRE'S may not be the best in the long run. Some sites caution against "Appetite Fatigue." This is the eating of the same food week after week.

It has been recommended to look at and even follow the LDS (Church of Latter Day Saints) sites as they have the most practice in food storage. I have found them the most helpful.

It was also stated on one of the sites that 3 months storage may be the most reasonable. If there is mass starvation or flu casualties the odds are that 3 months may be all that is needed.

I am not trying to be a doomsayer but am only relating what other survival sites are saying! Plus, it doesn't hurt to have supplies on hand even if the extreme doesn't happen.

We are in for "change," regardless!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I've been folowing the posts in this section, and they are very interesting..I still believe that for most of the population, leaving their area will be next to impossible, unless they leave very early, at first sign of trouble.
I live in Florida, and weathered the back to back hurricanes we had a few years ago. It's good training to see how a disruption into daily life is. Unless you're a Grizzly Adams or something like that, being without power in your house for a week or so is rough in these modern times. With a little advance warning, many people handle the disruptions ok. But I think what's coming down the pike will defy comparison.
When the SHTF for real, it's not going to be a good situation for anyone living in an urban area(me). I'll just try to make it the best way I can. One thing that helps me, is the fact of my lifelong work history. I'm a retired maintenance mechanic, and have learned how to do many usefull skills over the years. I also can do gardening skills with no problem. I can't do anything about the rest of my world, but I do have confidence in my ability to adapt to conditions , and make the best of it, rather than sit helplessly and wait for the local authorities for aid.
So for now, I'm just waiting and watching, as I feel the USA sinks further into a hole that we won't be able to climb out of.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This is the 2nd poll I have missed... SO, where are you hiding the polls?
They should be posted on the "recent posts" page... that way more members would take part in them.

As for survival, I can last at least one month... maybe more depending on how well my barter system works, or how many of my kids/family return home. They all have bug-out bags and gas cards with enough credit on them to get home (that's what I gave them for xmas last year... it went over like a lead balloon!). They like to tease me about my preparedness plans... they now call my home the "compound" and I am the "warden"...lol but at least they have a plan for survival if they need it. If no one else shows up, (I am set up for 12 people) We are ready for a whole year easily.

As a side note... before I came to ATS I had never even thought about a survival plan. I joined in July 2007, and have been slowly stocking up an survival items since then. The first thing I would recommend to anyone just starting is to start stocking up on your "essential" prescribed meds first. The next is to imagine or try to live 24 hours without electricity... this was by far the most eye opening test for me, especially because I lost my water supply without the electric pump. The solution was a generator for the pump, and a new hand pump sand point well in the backyard just in case.

I could go on and on about stuff I discovered while preparing to stock up... so I'll just stop now... lol

Thanks SO for ATS! Without you guys, I would have been totally unprepared for any survival situation.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by yankeerose]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
IMHO there are too many people that "talk the talk." Lets be honest, theres no guarantee that anyone will survive a major SIT X. But those who have taken the time to prepare are more likely to survive than those who do nothing other than think about it. If you value your life and that of your family then start right now. Theres no need to buy a battalions worth of weapons or ammunition. Nor is there a need to fantasise over the safest place to escape the new world order's planet eating zombie squad. Ignore what the results say and do something about it.

I apologise for my rant, my learned colleagues are very right, forum 140 used to be full of serious survivalists. I feel that the cream may now have left the crop.

Rgds
DV

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The results of our latest poll are in, and after 14,942 by members and visitors, about 60% of you have some level of preparation or planning in place to respond when the manure hits the fan. But a stunning 39% would be forced to survive on whatever is in the kitchen.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db482bc7cbfb.jpg[/atsimg]

Personally, I like the barter approach. After a few weeks of uncertainty and the stress of survival, liquor and cigarettes will be the new gold. Just make sure the marauders don't know you have a big stash!

A new poll asking your opinion of Swine Flu has been posted to the Board Home. Thank you one and all for participating.

well I have not posted here in a good long time.... but I like this about survival. I would say that we are prepared for at least several years on that subject....
I do not think I haver seen an actual poll in a while...good subject and a darn good way of showing the results...

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
i believe that in a shtf situation were to arise that i feel fortunate that i live near lakes. my shtf theory as to what is most likely to happen is a possible second civil war leading into situation zombieX. i have a 12 guage shotgun, fishing equipment, neighbors who would go to the lake with me and my wife. i would wait for geological disasters to surpass and if civil war 2 begins i'm going fishing until zombies arrive.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I havn't really got anything in the kitchen.
To be honest if it gets to the state when I need to start running for the hills, my days are gonna be pretty much numbered anyway.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
I have to fully agree with Nirgal on this one! It is not surprising at all. Anymore there are too many clueless people in the survival forum who think they know so much or will survive just because they have a gun or something to barter with. There are a lot of people in this world that don't give a s*** about your barter items or guns, theyll just kill you and have all the gear.

My level of preparedness? I have a BOB and weapons. But more importantly I have the knowledge and skills to survive as long as i want with or without a firearm in the wild.

I'd like to totally agree with Anuubis here, and expand a little on it.

5 keys to making it in my opinion.

1) Knowledge - Knowing all aspects of survival makes the rest possible.
2) Self Defense - This one is obvious, but practice to stay sharp
3) Shelter - a few hours in extreme heat or cold and you can die
4) Water - 3 days without water while active and your done
5) Food - it is last because you can go many days without it

Read up on the LA riots, and now consider that if it happened in
several or most US major cities.

Read up on the bank robbers that had body armor and what the
cops had to do to deal with them.

Check out youtube videos about Ghillie suits, then go out and
make a few in different foliage with friends and refine the skill.

Out of sight is out of mind, your best trick will be not being seen.

If you have no other choice defend yourself, but if you can fade
like a shadow into the forest it will serve you well.

Have a guide on what plants are edible, some ppl have expanded
this to insects.

Read Sun Tzu's Art of War and make sure you "get it".

Look over the material of well known survivalists and then go
out and practice it, the knowledge of using all the tools and
items is as important as the supplies.

Consider that you may be robbed or burned out, and have some
supplies cached in an area that will likely not be held ground
by various groups moving thru the area.

Consider a cache tube made from PVC or something similar.

There is a lot more to it than this, but this should get you thinking
if you have not before now.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Sad results, I think it may be representative of the country. I recently discovered that an every day item, like a first aid kit is not in every home. Storing one or two extra items each month builds up over time. That is what I did. I say that because some folks may be overwhelmed at the amount of stuff that is truly necessary if everything were to vanish overnight. At a minimum hard candy and properly stored water could assist with survival. In addition, a reduction on intake, such as every other day or two would stretch if minimal supplies were stored. Again, truly sad results.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Great Poll, sorry I missed it, but still very new here.

It doesnt suprise me though, I look around the city I live in and think about all the wannabe gang bangers, corp butt kissers, political snobs, etc.. and think about how none of them have a clue of how to get clean water if TSHTF let alone prepair. Most can hold out for a week with whats in their house already. But after that, people will start hunting on the weak, if the grid goes, all those people in prison will be out on the street.....Hunting

A little food for thought?.?.?.?
Regardless of where you live, buy a good micro water filter system, bottle water runs out quick, and a "One Handed" fire starter, and a SW AM/FM radio. Hopefully you will know how to use them or learn very quickly.

If your looking long term then hopefully you have thought about Non Hybrid and Non GMO seeds, minimum in solar recharge ability, herbs & Spices.
Im not sure how most think, but I like to have what I call a "Cash Crop" something I can barter with and not have to come out of my stock. Alot will scoff at this, but think about it, Weed and Wiskey will be a powerful barter items, and easy to make yourself if you have any commin sense
If your a smoker, dont forget to atleast put a small stash in your medical section of your B.O.B., D.D.B. or Retreat.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
.If everyone would stay calm and just go back to living a life of simple needs..planting food hunting fishing etc..we would be ok..Unfortunately, we know this will not happen. Savages will be rioting non stop..worst mistake this country ever made.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join