It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS POLL RESULTS: How Prepared Are You For Situation-X?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The results of our latest poll are in, and after 14,942 by members and visitors, about 60% of you have some level of preparation or planning in place to respond when the manure hits the fan. But a stunning 39% would be forced to survive on whatever is in the kitchen.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db482bc7cbfb.jpg[/atsimg]

Personally, I like the barter approach. After a few weeks of uncertainty and the stress of survival, liquor and cigarettes will be the new gold. Just make sure the marauders don't know you have a big stash!

A new poll asking your opinion of Swine Flu has been posted to the Board Home. Thank you one and all for participating.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Didn't even see the poll until now! LOL.

I would of ticked 6 months or something like that. Need to stock up more though

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Dang, I missed voting in this poll somehow -

BUT - you can put me in the catagory of HAVING EVERYTHING in case of ANY situation!

Yeah, I know ...... a little much...

better to be prepared than be caught without when something is needed.

So, I guess I am in one of those small percentage pieces.

Hey include the fact I got 40 pounds of tobacco sitting in a storage area too - lots of barter items!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Hah! I can't believe I missed this one. Especially since the Survival Forum is my favorite and what brought me to ATS to begin with.

We have enough food and supplies to last at least a month, possibly two. We have enough ammo to last an unknown amount of time, since you can't really estimate how often you'll need to use it. We also have our bug-out bags ready.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I thought with the topic of things we discuss here at ATS that more people would have taken steps to prepare. SO where can I get one of those awesome ATS Swine flu mask?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
It is wild how big the percentage of people who "only have what's in the kitchen" is, considering the things that are going on in the world today.

I have a place in the hills, but I suppose for it to be a viable hole-up spot I need to heavily stock the place. I think I start to do that a little at a time. Worst case scenario I will have to use it for a safe house if the S hits the Fan, but I guess I could use the supplies on weekend trips if nothing gets bad.

That is the problem with trying to keep a place stocked, you never know when you are going to need to use the place and food stuffs.

I hope it never gets bad enough for any of us to have to resort to survival methods. God bless you and your friends and family.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I'm surprised at that 11% percent number I would have thought that more people especially ATS members would be at that level.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This would appear to be a reflection of the current Survival Forum content and not what it once was.

My only hope is those who come to learn about preparation can leave their gun obsessions and paranoia at the door. While I concede that this is a conspiracy forum some recent activity has led several of my Band of Brothers to look elsewhere for constructive discussion on survival and preparedness.

It's a shame that what brought us together has also driven us away.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Oh dear god look at your avatar. Thank you for the soda all over my computer SO.

The results pretty much came out how I suspected they would.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Results aren't really a surprise to me, however those who have only whats in the kitchen or a stockpile of bartering goods will quickly find that their approaches leave them wanting after a short while and may very well turn to more unsavory means of obtaining what they need to survive and thus become a threat to those who have taken the time to prepare.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I am actually shocked at the number of ATS members who are not prepared (the majority - who took the poll). I would have expected the opposite here. I can understand the general public being a high percentage due to getting their news from MSM - but here - the truth of many situations come to light.

Actually - it makes me sad, the majority of members have not taken steps to do a little preparing for any situation.

So, I also guess that means, all those threads various members do to give out info on survival and what is going on - mostly falls on deaf ears?

[edit on 30-4-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I too am shocked that so many here have nothing in store for an emergency. I don't have anywhere what I should have, but 20 pounds of beans and 20 pounds of rice could last me a month if things got crazy. I have a few other things but water is next on my list along with more canned items than I have already.

I do hope that people start to invest a bit of money weekly or monthly when they do their shopping. If we are put under martial law or the transportation infrastructure goes down, food will run out in a matter of days.

I very much enjoy these surveys, I hope they continue.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Agree with the two previous posters.......... I'm shocked. I'm glad that those who ticked that they only have what is in the kitchen were so honest, but...... c'mon!! I expected that us 8%ers would have been more prevalent also. Maybe it's a matter of storage space. I admit freely that we once had two bedrooms in our house, and now it's a one bedroom and one storage bunker.

Perhaps the threat of H1N1 will inspire folks to at least get a couple of weeks worth of goodies, just in case they have to "home camp"

Edit to add: when Hurricane Paloma hit here on Nov 8 of 2008, we were all very fortunate and blessed that there was no loss of life. I was surprised to find a few glitches in our preps, given that we've been through this drill before. Fortunately for us, our preps were not just food, first aid and massive amounts of toilet paper, but also hardware (and I don't mean firearms) and hand tools. The ability to effect repairs was and remains very important to us'ns.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by argentus]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I missed voting in the poll, too, but will be checking the board home in the future.

We have a few supplies on hand but not nearly a year's worth or anything. My sister advised me to stock up last Thursday. Usually I stock up gradually, but have been buying a few extra canned goods and beans and rice type items.

I remember an interview with a family on the news last year when the job layoffs started up. The father said they would be okay since they had stocked up on enough supplies for a full year. I mentioned it to my mom and she said your brother had that one time before he moved. Reading here I can see it shouldn't even be considered an option.

edit: changed home page to board home, where the poll is found

[edit on 30-4-2009 by elfie]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I have a bug out bag thats all I need!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I didnt see the vote site either. Was this on BTS?

I'm at 1 year with lots to barter. 4 cases of hard liquor and about 40 swiss army knives, deodarant, bar soap, etc, etc,. I as well am pretty well covered. BOB's included.

It's weird to think a cup of sugar will be worth more than money.

I could probably stretch it further if rationed.

I bought most in bulk September 15th when Lehman fell and the stock market dropped 777 points. It was my warning!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
""Personally, I like the barter approach. After a few weeks of uncertainty and the stress of survival, liquor and cigarettes will be the new gold. Just make sure the marauders don't know you have a big stash!"""

I was thinking the same thing man....

I SWEAR I went out and bought a carton of yellow spirits, and a gallon of Makers' Mark. Today!!!

No vaccine or any shots for me. That's for sure. The only shots are the ones you hear.....he he.
I'll retreat in the wilderness, and hunt for myself, and try to survive.
Smokes and booz will be worth MORE than gold or anything for me.
It will be hard to ration it....

and I don't think any1 is really prepared. What's a $300,000 bank account matter if it might be worth 30 bucks the next day??

Good thing I know how to survive in the bush if it came to it.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
We've got the weapons, the bug out bags AND we can last a month or two.
So if I had seen the poll (which I missed), I wonder what I would have answered.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Well while I would like to be in the 1 year or 6 month camp unfortunately I am in the kitchen and barter group.

However a more realistic group is to be in the bug out bag group, does anyone have a bug out bag for someone living in NYC that they want to sell?

I am telling you people if you make a quality BoB with worthwhile materials in it you can sell them hand over fist. I would buy one and I promise I can get at least another 6-9 sold to some of my friends who agree that sit can hit the fan any day.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
Dang, I missed voting in this poll somehow -

BUT - you can put me in the catagory of HAVING EVERYTHING in case of ANY situation!

Yeah, I know ...... a little much...

better to be prepared than be caught without when something is needed.

So, I guess I am in one of those small percentage pieces.

Hey include the fact I got 40 pounds of tobacco sitting in a storage area too - lots of barter items!!!

I'll barter you a bottle of Irish whisky for a 1/2 pound of your tobacco. That's one thing I dont have.

It's funny what people will miss, when it's not there. Razors so we dont look like mountain women. Stuff like that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join