It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts Warn Internet Is Running Out of Bandwidth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Experts Warn Internet Is Running Out of Bandwidth

www.foxnews.com

Experts predict that consumer demand, already growing at 60 percent a year, will start to exceed supply as early as 2010 because of more people working online and the soaring popularity of bandwidth-hungry Web sites such as YouTube and services such as the BBC's iPlayer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
technology.timesonline.co.uk

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Personally, I think this article is complete garbage. I don't know who these alleged experts are, but they are fundamentally ignorant about what is going on in the world of cable.

I read both versions of the article, and I have come to the conclusion that Ritter really hasn't analyzed anything in the industry what so ever. He is making stuff up, or getting his information from one company - and not even evaluating the others. Seeing garbage like this on our news irks me like no tomorrow.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The internet is a weblike physical structure that provides a data net. The more ISP's you have on it the higher the total bandwidth and the more possible data transmission routes from A to B on it. The bigger it is the more bandwidth it has. This is not the same as the total bandwidth from your ISP to your home or even between the ISP and a central provider, but the point is if your bandwidth goes down it is not the internet, as it is not physically possible for it to have less bandwidth as a whole, it is the choke points which you're subjected to.

This is not a news article, it is a declaration of intent from those that dislike the free flow of information. Anyone saying the internet is dieing is lieing.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by WarmthofSunlight
The internet is a weblike physical structure that provides a data net. The more ISP's you have on it the higher the total bandwidth and the more possible data transmission routes from A to B on it. The bigger it is the more bandwidth it has. This is not the same as the total bandwidth from your ISP to your home or even between the ISP and a central provider, but the point is if your bandwidth goes down it is not the internet, as it is not physically possible for it to have less bandwidth as a whole, it is the choke points which you're subjected to.

This is not a news article, it is a declaration of intent from those that dislike the free flow of information. Anyone saying the internet is dieing is lieing.

Exactly!! If those that oppose the free exchange of information on the inter-net get their way,we all will be bottle necked through Government controlled servers. This will probably come about by first offering free access to the inter-net.Then comes the bottle neck and finally content control. Jeeze what a world we are starting to see being born.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I myself believe that Internet as we know it has only about 20 years at best. Those low orbiting satellites which are being launched from Russia for obvious cost reason since nasa has a high cost factor in launching due to its geographical position will be our new internet. Either way, the internet has become too congested and its only a matter of time when regulation does hit us. Now if thats a good or bad thing, thats another topic, the point is there is ridiculously too much traffic and the energy consumption to maintain all this network is seriously out of hand. Perhaps data centers around the world must have self contained power generators based on high end technology rather than using the grid as a source of input.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
err . . . how can the internet run out of bandwidth?

That does not compute with me

Edit:

reply to post by TLomon

That is what I thought

[edit on 30/4/2009 by xxpigxx]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Here is a link where you can view all of the world backbones which are used to transfer data between ISP's. If you look at the total capacity it doesn't seem to be extremely high so I think it is a total possibility that if this is not continuously upgraded we could run out of bandwidth.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by Phlegmi]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Phlegmi

Can't be that difficult to add more backbones and reroute traffic to ease the burden

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Laying down fiber across the oceans to connect continents isn't exactly cheap, and it takes time so company's aren't exactly doing it at will. If we are consuming bandwidth at a quicker pace then we are expanding infrastructure you know what will happen

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Well, the cost of the internet is extremely high, at a monthly level, multiplied by an extremely large group of people, and is extremely profitable. So, I do suggest they do the normal math and put 33% into repairs. Its rather obvious!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
reply to post by Phlegmi

Can't be that difficult to add more backbones and reroute traffic to ease the burden

It's not. I know. I design them. However, this is more about power right now. The powers that be MUST control the internet and what is on it. The best way to do that is to allow for the current model to become obsolete. That way, when the new model comes out they can make sure it is built the way they want so THEY can control what you see online. The idea of it running out of bandwidth is actually quite funny. It only runs out if businesses providing it stops building. Well, since they want to make a buck I would bet that they won't allow for it to run out.

It's also another step towards convincing people to allow for the tiered system of paying by the amount you download or the amount of bandwidth you use on a monthly basis.

You see, there are many reasons for that. Advertisers are realizing that they are losing out because many commercials are fast forwarded on the DVRs and so on. Now there are sites like Hulu where you can watch your favorite shows with very limited commercials. The best way for them to fight back is to try and create a situation where bandwidth becomes expensive and only the few can afford the high end costs that would come with watching shows and such online.

There is also pressure from the movie industry because of the P2P sites that provide pirated copies of their movies. Obviously the bandwidth needed for these is pretty huge.

All in all, there are positive reasons for it but I feel that the negative ones far outweigh the good. Control is control and this kind will destroy the internet and the freedom of it.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlegmi
Here is a link where you can view all of the world backbones which are used to transfer data between ISP's.

I would like to politely disagree with you that it is showing all of the backbones. I know of at least a few others that are not listed.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This article is a complete joke.
Firstly computers at home won't freeze, the page will just take long to load that's all.
Secondly, all they need to do is upgrade the root servers and cabling.

Yes the internet is growing, sure it is no doubt. But this article is nothing more than a marketing ploy to get users ready for higher prices and worse service that's all.

Any techie would see right through this bogus article written by a "think tank" lol.
This same "Think thank" that said in 2008 the internet would barely work anymore HAHHAAA.

Anyone else notice that there are no more think thanks in the world? Just thinking invdividuals?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The bandwidth limitation make sense IF you are talking about inter-countries/continent bandwidth. In my country there is only few routes to get data from outside (Verizon, Sprint, NTT e Global Crossing)

www.isp-planet.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Sounds like a scam to charge us even more for internet access to me.
The internet can not run out of bandwidth...
Excuse the Internet lingo but these "experts" need to: L2Internet

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It is impossible to run out of viewing bandwidth. Impossible.

It IS possible to run out of storage for bandwidth heavy websites, but seriously unlikely.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I have to agree,
The proliferation of fiber Optics creates less possibility of the local ip providers becoming "choke points". This Article Was written by someone that obviously has a problem with the free flow of ideas and information. Strange for a journalist, probably needed to have something for a story when he got to work and he made it up in traffic?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I don't doubt for a minute that the demand for bandwidth is exceeding the capacity. The telephone companies scammed us out of upgrades a few years back, and there's not a lot we can do now. I posted an article about it in this thread, it explains the whys and hows of the bandwidth shortage. Good find, S&F.

TA

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarmthofSunlight

Yeah he is right, bottle neck right? Networking has too many slangs.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Its running out of bandwidth because they would rather charge you (like your cell phone) for overages rather then fix the current infrastructure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

the internet is a series of tubes

...sorta

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

the tubes running from the providers is huge, while the upstreams are rather small, and those are the ones being congested. so rather then fix the small tubes, theyd rather just charge for overages.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join