It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Product Packaging Design

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Hello everybody!

I am back with a question i hope some people around ATS will have some knowledge about.

Here it goes:

Lets say i had an idea designed and ready for implementation/production. A packaging meant to contain some sorts of domestic/household products that is both smart easy and a charm to use.

Although there is no real life model of the actual product there is a complete 3D model in the computer which can be observed all ways and angles.
The physics implemented are quite simple and fail safe, giving the packaging both a smart and trendy look thus giving to the contained product a new sense of image quality and endless ground for marketing, something that most companies greatly desire.

I would say i am quite an inspired person and have a reserved but true belief without excess enthusiasm that my idea for the new packaging will actually be desired once anounced to interested parties, since it is cheap in implementation too.

My question?

I have no experience whatsoever how to move in introducing my product/idea.

My innitial thought came out of a specific product and i thought i would be contacting them to see if they are interested to buy the idea.

However a multitude of questions arrise.

Do i sell the idea/design to the company and thats it?
How do i reserve my rights on it once i present it? The company might just as well say they are not interested, kick me away and have the idea reproduced within a couple of days.....

Lets say i have sold successfully. What sort of money should one be happy with...
Given the prospects of this simple but ingenius idea it can be implemented on many products with maximum ease in serving and serving presision.

On that account why not hold the credit of trading the idea to other companies too?
Once one has pattented in one way or another the idea it should be possible.

In the long term given the idea sells it should be more beneficial without a ceiling to the income derived.

So how does one go forward with this?

What are the right steps to take, what sould the strategy be and who are the right people to start talking with? Are there middle companies?

Please give all the advice and experience you can and i assure you it will be appreciated.

Thanks beforehand,

George TG

'All Caps' in title removed

[edit on 30/4/09 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Hi George,

Looks like you're a little lost; this is ATS, conspiracy forum
, but fear not we can steer you right regardless.

To begin with you may find people suggesting you patent the idea - at this stage i would disagree, as patenting is costly and time consuming and in the long run does very little towards protecting the idea. You could mail yourself a written outline of the original idea, which through the postal system will be date stamped and delivered back to you, and keep this sealed for evidence of ownership should the need arise prior to patenting.

You should look to implement a business plan, and all of your questions will be answered over the course of writing, but you must be flexible and realistic. I have several business plan templates, including financial forecast spreadsheets I can send over if you'd like these feel free to U2U.

To answer any of your questions would be impossible without learning more about what this packaging does that's so different to what is available.

Have you researched the market? the competition? what are the benefits of your product over packaging already available?

A good place to start reading about business start up is at www.teneric.co.uk/forum.

If you would like to share more I'd be happy to sign a NDO to take a look and offer any advice I can.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

I'd also like to add to the good advice given by proto.

If you are going to attempt to market this, you will need a prototype. A 3D model is great, but it's more for flash, to show off and impress. They will want to see a working model, hold it, feel it out, I can almost guarantee this.

You will also need a pitch, what can yours do that others can't, why is it better, is it cheaper? more efficient? And a business plan.

Again, all the points Proto went over.

EMM

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The fastest way is to use a service that employ machines like the one in the video below:

blog.makezine.com...

You can pay them to render your model in 3d. If you can't find one, what you're looking for is an industrial engineer. These people can help you turn your model into reality.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
The simple question is...how much does this baby mean to you?

If you want your product to be used by as many people as possible, maybe it's worth putting it in the hands of a proffessional packaging company.

They have the resources to bring to fruition something that may be a bit overwhelming to you.

Like the earlier poster said, make sure you have evidence that it's your idea before you do anything else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Think of it this way.....the guy who invented the ring-pull made a fortune everytime someone cracked a can open but he didn't manufacture them himself. Then someone came along and topped it with a ring-pull that stays on the can. Much more environmentally friendly. They both made a fortune!

Point is, it sounds like the contents are out there and you have something great to contain them.

"If you build it they will come!" The people who sell the contents are constantly seeking new ways to promote and deliver their product.

If it's a good idea it'll sell itself, and rather than taking on too much yourself, let the professionals do the hard work. It's your idea though and they can never take that from you.

Better to make 1 cent for each one and have a million sold than 10 cents and a thousand sold for more work.

For a prototype it would depend on the functionality of your packaging. If it has a certain function, that would need to be demonstrated perhaps. If it was just a certain shape, then get something to model it with...foam, clay etc as all you need is the shape. For something more complex your only choice is professional help.

Certainly sounds interesting but I'm not going to push you to disclose.

I used to work in packaging, advertising and graphic design...mock-ups, modelmaking, cardboard engineering that kind of thing. Big brand names too....lever brothers, brooke bond etc. Plenty of market research stuff too.

We made everyday things like shampoo bottles, clever cardboard boxes etc and were always trying to find a "new & improved" slant on old concepts.

My personal favorite to date was a coffee mug with little hands to hold your biscuits. lol!

If I can help just U2U me, I'm incredibly creative and could offer plenty of advice if you wanted to make something yourself, but chat to your friends and see if any of them feel creative.
I would also be willing to create some kind of prototype for you but you might get frustrated with my natural need to improve upon what you have...something you'd have to deal with anywhere I'm afraid especially when considering manufacturing costs and techniques.

MOST IMPORTANT: Make sure your idea is accepted by everyone around you before investing in it. Most inventions never get past the garden shed stage because their creators don't do the research and consider how realistic their product is in the real world outside. 95% of our produce from the studio never saw a shelf!

Good luck and keep us informed...well done, and shout if you need anything.

[edit on 30/4/2009 by nerbot]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
There's only one way, my friend, and here it is.

1. Build a working prototype. It doesn't have to be perfect - proof of concept will do. You will need to finance its construction, so be prepared to sell your house, live on beans, etc.

2. Once you have the prototype, hawk it round potential investors and venture capitalists.

3. With the money they give you, or together with them, start a company manufacturing and marketing a perfected version of the prototype. Alternatively, sell the intellectual property rights to them. You'll need a patent at that stage.

4. Make big bucks. Retire.

More often than not, you'll get stuck at Stage Two.

In that case, you'll just have to find the money to start your company yourself. There may be government funds supporting research in your area that you can tap; you'll need a solid business plan along with your working prototype to obtain it. If you can't get funding, then you'll have to work, or sell your assets, or put yourself in hock, or do whatever it takes to raise the money.

If that doesn't help, then I'm afraid your product has no market potential. Sell the patent to somebody else for whatever the traffic will bear, and it's back to the lab for you.

Capitalism. I love it!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Since you'll need some Sales/Marketing suggestions. Read "The Sales Bible" By Jeffrey Gitomer. It covers all aspects of sales and marketing and networking. Can be used as a reference manual for the rest of your life.

That is really the only book you need on this subject considering where you are at so far. If for future reference you need more:

1. Sales Dogs
2. The Art of Sales
3. Raving Fans
4. The Little Red book of Selling
5. Samurai Selling
6. Swim with the sharks without being eaten
7. How to win friends and influence people

top topics

join