It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space and Age

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Right, sorry if this topic's already been posted just wanted to get it off my mind while its still fresh in my memory, anyway,
Its fact that in space we dont age (i think
!) so, if we do start traveling through space/time and colonising other planets... whats going to happen to 'age' will it just go outta the window until we properly settle on other planets etc...? Dunno if that made any sense to you all but i was just curious, if anyone can help and answer, cheers

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Aging in space is pretty much at the same rate as it is on Earth.

You might be thinking of the time dilation effects of very high-speed space travel. As you near the speed of light time slows down, so for you 10 years might pass, while a stationary observer might have measured 10 years.

You don't really age slower, just your time is slower so it takes longer for time to pass.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stuey1221
Right, sorry if this topic's already been posted just wanted to get it off my mind while its still fresh in my memory, anyway,
Its fact that in space we dont age (i think
!) so, if we do start traveling through space/time and colonising other planets... whats going to happen to 'age' will it just go outta the window until we properly settle on other planets etc...? Dunno if that made any sense to you all but i was just curious, if anyone can help and answer, cheers

Ok, that isn't fact.

It is fact that lack of gravity causes our muscles to deteriorate.

If you are referring to relativity, yes, theory indicates that time is relative to an observor. I don't know where you got that fact from though. It is not true at all.

[Edited on 4/26/2004 by Seapeople]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
lol Thanks, was just something a mate said about the aging in space thing. I didnt think it was right but put it anyway, Thanks for clearin that up anyway

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

lol Thanks, was just something a mate said about the aging in space thing. I didnt think it was right but put it anyway, Thanks for clearin that up anyway

Well, you should look into relativity. The theories behind that give the ability for time to stop. They are just theories but as of now, they have been backed up with evidence.

It is actually pretty interesting stuff.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople

Well, you should look into relativity. The theories behind that give the ability for time to stop. They are just theories but as of now, they have been backed up with evidence.

This is gonna sound really lazy, anychance you could u2u a link or somethin for me?

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   

This is gonna sound really lazy, anychance you could u2u a link or somethin for me?

Man thats really lazy, Google is your best friend embrace it. Anyways I've always found this topic interesting as well as the superstring theory.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Just a note. You can't accelerate to the point where time stops, you can only approach it to the point where time is so slow most people would consider it stopped.

Also, that would be near the speed of light but mass and shape would dialate so much you can't even get that close.

The same laws that allows you to dialate time, mass, and shape, also prevent you from getting too close to the speed of light.

The faster you go the more your mass increases and the harder it is to go faster.

So when you are talking about something the mass of a person or a space ship, it becomes much more difficult than say an atom or subatomic particle.

Only things without mass (such as the photon or neutrino) can actually be AT the speed of light and therefore not be effected by time.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I never thought about until now but that is interesting. Since time is our 4th dimension it is important to understand time is NOT constant. However new research prooves that in our galaxy time is speeding up. However due to theories of reletivity it feels like normal but time is really speeding up. Research it!
So this means if you continue to be in our galaxy you will feel like you are aging at the same pace. If you were outside and you saw your same aged friend he would be aging faster. Remember time is not constant.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Hey 2 things 1) thanks for taking notice and 2) thanks for all the help/info, i'm defo gonna do more research into it all
amazing what idle chats can turn into aint it

new topics

top topics

join