It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious dream trouble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Well...serious for me. Maybe not so much to some.

I couldn't think of a better place to put this. I'm sure it will be moved if need be.

Basically, my trouble is this--I have disturbing dreams pretty much every single night. I would safely say that 98% of my dreams cause me frustration, aggravation, irritation, strife, fear, and even outbursts.

Not only does it effect me but my boyfriend has literally become a harder sleeper (we both usually sleep lightly) in the last 2 years we've been together because of my seemingly angry outbursts at night that I, of course, have absolutely no recollection of.

I usually recall my dreams pretty well. I mean, I can't necessarily tell you the details of a dream I had a couple nights ago because I don't make a point to remember them a couple of hours after waking. But I can tell you with certainty that they are disturbing.

I understand that dreams are usually the mind acting out daily emotions, actions, and experiences, but I really don't want to have these disturbing dreams anymore.

I don't want it to be that when I wake up, my residual emotions cause me to be cranky in the morning. I don't want to wake in the morning only to find out that I sat straight up in bed, called my boyfriend a place-where-the-sun-don't-shine-hole (you know what I mean), only to lay back down and sleep like a baby. Although I really don't sleep like a baby. From what I hear, the rest of the night is a combination of whimpers, sighs, cries, etc.

I've heard all my life that I've slept like this. But before I didn't really think about it. It didn't effect my daily life. So I didn't care..

But now, I don't get a good nights sleep at all, and neither does my boyfriend. I don't want to wake up anymore feeling ticked off over a dream that wasn't real.

I know everyone has bad dreams now and again. That is something I can deal with. But when it starts to effect my daily mood and even my boyfriends mood, I feel that I need to do something about it.

Does anyone have any ideas???

I'll give some very brief recurring dream plots...

Alien invasions (3 in the last 6 months) this is not in anyway a legitimate fear I have
Extreme frustration with my sister and/or mom
Stuck in slow-mo dreams
Can't control a car dreams
At one point I had several being chased dreams
Many dreams seem so INCREDIBLY real it's hard to wake up to the realization it was only a dream

I can't remember them all, those are just the ones that stick out...

In the last 6 months I have had dreams occurences I've NEVER had before...

Lucid dreaming (interestingly enough, this only occured when I wasn't trying to do so) and also dreams where I was so scared or frustrated that I ORDERED myself to wake up by repeating "wake up" over and over and over again to the point where I either actually woke up finally and once I only woke up to find myself in another dream.

It's not exactly ruining my life but I would definitely adore some advice, ideas, answers.

Thanks so much (ahead of time).

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Slo-mo running and car control dreams are easy. Basically, your hands and feet are restricted by the sheets and presumably your boyfriends body. If you tend to have a vivid imagination, it is quite feasible you are actually moving your limbs while dreaming about your physical motions.

I find that yes, i have a certain control in a dreams every once in a while. Now, if its actual control of if its just preconceived control i couldn't tell you, but thats the best explanation i have for those.

If you have unresolved issues with your mom and sister then yes, they will easily resurface in your dreams, but they will be masked and out of context.

you mind-state is very crucial when entering REM. If you are overtly worried, then you must simply picture in your head something you LOVE doing. Personally I build with legos in my mind before sleep, but thats just because i currently have no warm body to sleep next to,

----
if the problem persists you might want to research calcification of the pineal gland.

HOWEVER.; no matter how crazy my dreams are, i can ALWAYS wake up at any point by simply closing my eyes within my dream, and i will instantly wake up

[edit on 30-4-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I'd suggest an increase in awareness, learning how to bring that to your dream life. There's a thread on here which teaches about how to induce Lucid Dreams. Research everything you can on how to induce lucid dreams and even if you don't have them, the attempt increases awareness. Also start a dream journal - keep a notebook by your bed and write down your dreams, and remember to let whatever is happening be ok, they are just dreams after all. Another way to increase conscious awareness in relation to your dream life is meditation, and there's nothing more powerful on the planet for instantly becoming a very accomplished and DEEP meditator than Holosync by Centerpointe www.centerpointe.com...

And finally, I'd suggest developing a set prayer mantra that you say when you go to sleep. And it doesn't matter if you really believe or not, it works!

It might look something like

Oh thou who art from everlasting to everlasting, I now turn my thoughts to Thee as the hours of darkness and of sleep begin. Oh sun of my soul, I rejoice to know that all night I shall be under the unsleeping eye of One who dwells in eternal light. Keep me safe from all perils, and stand guard over me as I dream tonight and guide my dreams in ways pleasing to you oh holy God of eternal light and love...

something like that - something powerful, which works for you.

Daily excercise will also help, by producing DEEPER sleep, as will the Holosync meditation.

But remember to let whatever happens be ok - your unconscious mind needs to be surfacing this material for a reason, and it's best not to resist.

You'll be amazed by the power of pre-sleep prayer though, truly amazed! If you do it and are not a person of faith, prepare to become one over time.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Spend less time on ATS.

Buy a bigger bed.

Play nice ambient music before you go to bed.

Make sure you kiss your boyfriend goodnight.

When you wake up, always have a little laugh even if you had a bad dream.

Buy an alarm clock that can wake you up to music (mmmm, nice!).

And don't be scared or frustrated with yourself. There's nothing going on in there to worry about. You're just proving one thing....you're human (pwew!)

Sweet dreams little princess..

[edit on 30/4/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Thank you for your comments. Some where very helpful and interesting. I will certainly try them.

Please let me riterate that I'm not freaking out over my dreams. I know that every one has dreams like these. It's just that they are so frequent and intense sometimes and, like I said, it's even effecting my boyfriend.

Here's a great example:

Last night my dream situation was such that I was extremely upset to the point of screaming and yelling at the many, many people in my dream including my boyfriend (I will save you the trouble and not go into detail about it).

As with many of my other dreams, I woke up in the morning so incredibly ticked off from the residual emotion in my dream. I honestly have had to remind myself all day long that my boyfriend didn't do anything. I'm not really mad at him. But I keep getting this quick, "he's gonna get it when I get home" thought before I remember it's just the dream I had making me think that.

So I hope this helps some of you understand my problem. It's not so much that I'm annoyed by having intense, angry, frustrating dreams, it's that they are effecting my emotions in my waking life.

I can easily take the situations in my dreams and decipher their meaning. I'm not having problems with that. It's the extreme and intense emotion that is getting to me. Sometimes they seem so real that certain things will carry into my waking life and I have to remind myself that what I'm thinking about as being part of my waking life was actually in my dream

I obviously need to focus more on some positive thinking when I go to bed. Another part of my problem is I'm one of those people whose mind goes nuts once my head hits the pillow. I've had to start watching tv in bed (which I hate) because I will fall asleep to that so much easier than in peace and quiet. In that regard, the mantra seems like a great idea.

Anyhoo, maybe I'm mostly just venting. But I am DEFINITELY going to take some of the advice that has been suggested. I really appreciate it.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
If you are being chased. Turn around and face it in your dreams. It is YOUR dream and you are controlling it - even if subconsciously. Turn around, YOU are chasing you. Give the big monster a hug. Turn around and have an UZI materialize and kill it. bubbles come out instead of flames - see the monster's consternation.. Whatever floats your boat on how to turn the situation around.

If it were a dream analysis, you are probably having some problems in your life, maybe with family, boyfriend, etc... Maybe they aren't listening. You are materializing your fears/worries/stresses in your dreams. You need to start vocalizing your needs in the REAL world and your dreams will ease up. I did. I p*ssed a few people off but I sleep much better. I also have control of my dreams if I want. Sometimes I just go with the flow but I know I have the ability to change it at any time. If for some reason I cannot change the dream (rarely), I can close my eyes (in the dream) and not "play along". BTW, I am very stubborn and this all tooks months/years of trying before I got to this with relative ease.

new topics

top topics

join