It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New bizarre animal discovered in Japan

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Leave it to humans we see something unknown and the first thing we do is poke it with a stick.

It looks like a Porteuguese Man of War (very poisonous) seen plenty at sea except that they have up to 20 foot tentagles and do not climb cliffs.

Then they turn it over and it looks like a large disembodied rectum.

It looks like a rather silly hoax to me.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This is highly annoying.. how come I'm the only person, apparently, who doesn't see a video or a link in the OP? O_o

Can someone give me a link to this video? I'd like to see it for lulz of nothing else.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
LOL thats about as strange as the 'helmet lobsters' that live in all of their rice paddies
CREEPY too
I think the reason many people thought it look like a vagina is because of what it does at the end

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
wow its hard to belive its fake..its a fukin mutated gellifish with spore that pukes and explodes O_OWTF
the puking and exploding part is just..unreal

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I believe they used a combination of cg effects and props to make the creature...the acting could have been much better though.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog
[moreHello my friend!!!

I am sorry to point out that its a genuine FAKE!!!
Plenty of give aways but i guess others will have mentioned them allready so i will save the trouble.

However i must state that i liked the vid!

Take care!

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

Many thanks for your kindness

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I could have sworn I have seen those before on some marine website. LOL, why does Asia and Japan always have the weird creatures?? I dunno this one might be fake though, but I swear I have seen those before somewhere.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I love the scientific methods employed by them in studying it. Employ stick, when that fails poor soda on it.

Funny, and a little creepy, but definitely fake.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
They kind of looked like Sea Cucumbers. I still think I have seen those somewhere before....

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I know nothing about CGI. BUT.

If it's an animal, it's some sort of mollusk or echinoderm. Actually my first thought was "nudibranch" but it's clearly not, I've never seen a flatworm like that. Sea cucumber though... they don't usually move on land. Neither do most mollusks of that form. It looks like it had suction cups, which would mean mollusk. Sea cucumbers are able to spit out their innards as a defense mechanism.

Um... Japan does have strange marine zoology.

Give me a minute or two.

Okay. I think it's fake. Just because of how it survived out of water, because it didn't flip itself back over, and because I think it was the same sort of thing that happens when kids make volcanos for school, when they spilled soda on it. How did they know to wait until it spit stuff out?

If it was an animal, however, this is how you narrow it down:

Assuming it was marine, you would look at any special features. The innards coming out is reminiscent of sea cucumbers.

It seemed to have suction cups. That would classify it as a mollusk. (Sea cucumbers are echinoderms, so you would know something was weird already).

The little ruffle of "tissue" at the bottom is like a nudibranch.

It also looks a bit like some cnidarians.

But most of these animals would not be able to survive out of water for very long, and either would have turned themselves over or would have "jellified" and collapsed, not stayed rigid like that.

But um... I mean, whatever. Some people like doing things like that.

[edit on 6/1/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Thanks for coming by here, I figured an "expert" opinion was needed.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Hahaha, aw thanks. No problem. Whoever made that knew a bit about marine biology. Just not enough to make it super realistic. It's like they combined different organisms. But this is kind of how they make other fake cryptids... (Fuji mermaid reference again). You take a bunch of real organisms and stick them together. That way, the features are more believable.

It's not right though, IMO it detracts from real cryptozoology.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
There is another thread on this somewhere.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Why do Sea Cucumbers explode themselves for defense?? That makes no sense?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Awesome question.

It doesn't actually hurt them. I mean, it doesn't kill them. They pull their intestines back inside and they're fine. Their nervous system isn't really complex enough for it to "hurt". Their digestive systems aren't like ours, they are kind of one large intestine. Those white things help with the absorption of nutrients.

But a sea cucumber is a humble creature. They don't move much. They're the earthworms of the ocean- sift through stuff on the ocean bottom, filter it in their digestive tract, and poo out the sand.

But they're animals nonetheless and want to survive to reproduce. And if something tries to eat them or bother them, they wouldn't be able to do that. So they need to scare away the predator. They do this by appearing larger, or startling the creature. Many mechanisms for this in other species include swelling up, flashing bright colors, whatever. They frill out their intestines.

Remember, these guys (holothuroidea) are most closely related to those pincushion sea urchins and sand dollars (echinoidea), sea stars and brittle stars (asteroidea), and sea lilies and feather stars (crinoidea- they're sessile as adults, basically like plant-animals)

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Wow, thanks for explaining that. I never knew that.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
This is completely fake!! Its impossible with the structure of their under bodies that they could move as fast as depicted... It was fun when it exploded though lol!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ParaZep

My first thought was it was a viral video for the coke, but it's just regular Coca-Cola - i'm still looking for product placement

Fake but funny. - The artist needs to learn something about biology.

Ps: it's great as sending in chain emails with the topic "So, i found your secret sex-tape" >->

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join