It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future Swine Flu Bailout???

page: 1/

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
As the swine flu pandemic fear intensifies, I can't help but wonder how many different industries are being affected negatively because people are afraid of getting the virus. Airlines, hotels, tourism sites are only a few such industries. Despite all the trillions the US has invested so far in trying to recover our economy, could it be possible that it was all for not?

Could it be possible that the US may have to invest billions or trillions more to bailout or help many of these companies that are losing money due to the swine flu? The airlines industry alone was already predicted to lose 5 Billion alone in 2009 before the flu crisis. How many billions more could this pandemic cost them?

IATA, which represents 230 airlines including British Airways, Cathay Pacific, United Airlines and Emirates, has said airlines would lose $4.7 billion this year as a result of the economic downturn that has kept people and cargo from flying.

www.cnbc.com...

Shares in airlines and travel firms have fallen sharply around the world on concerns about the economic impact of the swine flu outbreak.

With the outbreak in Mexico spreading to the US, Canada, Spain and the UK, shares in British Airways fell 7.7%, while cruise firm Carnival lost 6.8%.

Investors fear the flu outbreak may lead to people cancelling overseas trips, or even to travel restrictions.

ghanabusinessnews.com...

The CBO estimated that a flu pandemic modeled on the severity of the 1918 outbreak could result in the following: • 80% drop in demand for arts, entertainment, recreation, accommodation and food services. • 67% drop in demand for transportation and warehousing. • 10% loss of demand for agriculture, mining, construction, retail trade, finance. • 15% increase in demand for health care and social assistance.

abcnews.go.com...

And what if people are suddenly told to stay home and are unable to pay their bills because of a lack of income? How will a scenario like this further wreck the economy and demand more government bailout/help?

Fear of a pandemic has to make people wonder. In the U.S., where unemployment is expected to top 10 percent before the end of the year, could the shock of a flu outbreak make it 12 percent instead? Think what that would mean to retailers, to people's ability to pay their mortgages, to companies' ability to get work done.

finance.yahoo.com...

Economies will suffer because of the swine flu. How much it will impact the economy is the million dollar question?

With the the potential financial hurt this flu has of delivering to economies, it is kinda hard to believe that it could have been released on purpose? Or is it?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The whole "swain flu" is nothing but scam and a government orchestrated agenda, this so call flu compare to the deaths a year from regular flu doesn't even come close even with all the deaths in Mexico so far.

Nothing but another agenda and by the way it looks stinks of private involvement for profits.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Nothing but another agenda and by the way it looks stinks of private involvement for profits.

Besides the pharmaceutical companies, who else is profiting? Seems like many industries stand to lose and their loss could impact our economy even more.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Yes but remember that the entire nation economy is in the crapper and with all the money that the Obama administration has spend bailing out here and there the next budget is already a whooping 3 trillion over the trillions already wasted.

GDP figures are down for three quarters. companies are cutting cost and labor to survive and claim profits, while unemployment soars, the nation is not getting better and a pandemic will be like a dream come true for the government to bail out themselves from the mess they have created without raising People's anger as people are in a scare mode to fight.

Our debt is unsustainable and we as a nation can not longer function anymore with the debt we hold.

A pandemic and a collapse after it will not look that bad for the morons behind the economic mess.

But occurs this my conspirator mind at work.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I think this is an excellent question you posed OP. I would not suprise me in the least to see corporations lining up at the trough(pun intended!) for taxpayer money for losses incurred during this "crisis". If you can bring down two skyscrapers to help your defense contractors make some money, why not stir up a lil plague for your Pharma pals?

Star and Flag'd

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Our debt is unsustainable and we as a nation can not longer function anymore with the debt we hold.

Your conspiracy mind may be working pretty good. I can't really see where our government can get any more money from. Add in a few natural disasters and we might have to change our initials to the USB(United States Bankrupt).

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Well The markets seems to like the doom and gloom since the pandemic and the GDP numbers with the unemployment rates and now the Chrysler bankruptcy got to give to the rats in the Markets they really know how to profit from everything.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Good point well I guess I can hope some fat cat banker dies of the flu then the VA in their infinite wisdom decides to place this old jar head and his family into that vacated Manhattan penthouse...

On second thought I'm probably happier on my tiny farm, unless I can talk the doorman to letting out the livestock for a twice daily walkies?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f71f980fddc3.jpg[/atsimg]

Would you stick around in a store if you saw people shopping like this?

I really don't think I would.

Daddybare, hope to visit you in your Manhattan Penthouse.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f71f980fddc3.jpg[/atsimg]

Would you stick around in a store if you saw people shopping like this?

I really don't think I would.

Daddybare, hope to visit you in your Manhattan Penthouse.

Oh sure I was stationed in Tokyo for a while and they've been like that since they had the sarin gas attacks... the handy thing is all that Japanese are little folks so I can see right over the tops of all those bowing heads... Sure come over anytime you want but bring an umbrella cause them stock brokers are gonna start jumping out the windows what with all business shut down and martial law in place

[edit on 30-4-2009 by DaddyBare]

new topics

top topics

join