It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montana fires a warning shot over states’ rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Here we go.

Montana is going to test federal control with a gun rights bill. They are saying the feds have no control over guns made in Montana, sold in Montana and used in Montana.

article

Montana is trying to trigger a battle over gun control — and perhaps make a larger point about what many folks in this ruggedly independent state regard as a meddlesome federal government.

In a bill passed by the Legislature earlier this month, the state is asserting that guns manufactured in Montana and sold in Montana to people who intend to keep their weapons in Montana are exempt from federal gun registration, background check and dealer-licensing rules because no state lines are crossed.

IMO very clever of Montana to use gun control to help force the state's rights issue. Both issues are very powerful "lightening rods"for public opinion. So-called "recreational drugs" or "medical marijuana" could be another issue that a state like California or Oregon might use to do the same thing.

[edit on 4/29/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
In Michigan, we have concealed carry and approved a medical marijuana measure on election day. We gun-totin' potheads here are way ahead of the curve I guess.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Those people in Montana are geniuses. I think all the states should push their rights to the limit, and see how the federal government reacts.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I spent some time in Montana as a very young man.

At the time which was 1981 the state had 245,000 citizens and 52,000 bars!

There are a lot of wide, wide open places. There are genuine Cowboys there.

In some rural communities neighbors really do have to depend upon one another and know one another.

Most everyone who does not live in one of the three very small cities carries a rifle on a rifle rack inside their pickup truck.

Oh yeah they like to drink, and they love to fight...with a 4 men to 1 woman in the population, population ratio...believe me they pretty much always have cause to fight!

Montana will fight, Texas will fight, Colorado will likely fight, Whyoming and the Dakotas will likely fight, Idaho will fight, Oklahoma will likely fight.

Those states are a given...North and South Carolina might fight too...Central and Southern Florida might fight too...Louisiana might fight as well, so might Mississippi, so might Wisconsin, and possibly Kansas and Missouri.

Strategy wise in theory, you could deny the remaining union a contiguous land mass by seperating them down the middle.

Now can New York, New Jersey, and California provide enough industry and men to take it back drawing on the resources of the rest of the Union?

Thank goodness most soldiers like to drink...trick them into attacking Montana first and when they find out there are 52,000 bars they will get bogged down likely for good!

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
In Michigan, we have concealed carry and approved a medical marijuana measure on election day. We gun-totin' potheads here are way ahead of the curve I guess.

Let me point out something you may not have considered. If you shoot someone, they will take a blood sample and if you have something in your blood, like alcohol, certain prescription drugs, or any 'narcotic or mind altering drug', you will probably be prosecuted for manslaughter, or some level of murder if the person dies. Lesser charges if they live. Also if they live, and sometimes even die, you could face a civil lawsuit by the person, or a wrongful death lawsuit by the family. I live in Florida and have had a concealed weapon permit for 17 years. Many people that carry concealed don't realize that it doesn't mean you can kill someone with out other scrutiny and liabilities. As of October last year, a new law was passed in Florida where we no longer have to attempt to retreat either and can stand our ground and use deadly force.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

reply to post by spirit_horse

Let me point out something you may not have considered.

Yes, I am aware and considered it. My post wasn't to imply both should be mixed freely. There was some jest in my post.

Michigan State Police - Carrying Under the Influence

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I support Montana in this effort. It's about time.

new topics

top topics

join