It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama unequivocal: 'I believe that waterboarding was torture'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Obama unequivocal: 'I believe that waterboarding was torture'

rawstory.com

President Barack Obama said unequivocally Wednesday that waterboarding is torture and violates American values, adding that ending the practice has strengthened the United States.

Asked during his “100th Day” news conference whether the Bush administration sanctioned torture, Obama said: “[Waterboarding] is torture…That’s the opinion of many who have examined the topic.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This is the kind of thing all of us voted him for. We voted him because he ran on a campaign for a new direction in America. Now, I'm not an Obama supporter-- I never support politicians-- but I will support his action here. I voted for him, and, wondered what the hell he was doing. He is still a puppet, but, at least he made a good decision here and he'll probably anger some people on the inside in the meantime. I really hope that Obama breaks free from his leash-- not to become a really powerful President (moreso than he is already)-- but-- I've been wanting a President to break free from his chains for quite a while. I think that someone must have reminded him he was a constitutional law professor. However, until he goes after the federal reserve, he is just another puppet.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
booooooooooo

Waterboarding is propoganda my friend!

Seriously, with some of the torture images that you MUST have seen
you think the worst they did was put a bag over people's face and poured water over them?????

hahahahahahahaha

come on man
Waterboarding is propoganda

it's just to make you think pouring water over people's suffocated face is the worst they do

do you honestly believe this??????

EDIT: You have to look at wording. They must not speak of waterboarding specifically, they must broadly speak of torture.

They must say they will never torture again
Saying they will never waterboard again is nothing but a distraction.

Remember that
GdNite!

[edit on 29-4-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

No, but it's a step in the right direction.

I mean, yeah I know that there are worse things they do... but this is something that got so much attention that I'm glad our non-elected officials took notice of it. It's good that at least something is being done about it.

Regardless of whether it's propaganda or not.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
The Senior enlisted Sailors I talk to say it isn't torture because they go through the same thing while training. The films I see about it make me sick! I think we are smarter than that.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

So, the US can keep on waterboarding, right?

As I've said before, if I get captured, and all I have to worry about is water boarding, I'd sleep well every night.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

the kind of propaganda the usa put people to death for committing against us citizens. sure what ever man.

sure they very likely did more heinous thing than WB but trying to play this act down as nothing is crap.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Waterboarding is torture plain and simple to me.The real question if there will be another "investigative" commission is still unanswered,not that will make much of a difference...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
These people will cut your head off drag your body through the streets and then booby trap it to kill your friends too. We put cloth over their head and dump water on it. You choose.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
These people will cut your head off drag your body through the streets and then booby trap it to kill your friends too. We put cloth over their head and dump water on it. You choose.

Wow, What a great point you bring up (Sarcasm).

So, because Terrorists do disgusting things to us... we should do disgusting things to people in the hopes of maybe turning up where Terrorists might be.

May I remind you that most of them aren't terrorists?
Might I also remind you that most of them are there because they are suspect of having known a terrorist?
Heck... you might have known a terrorist without realizing it.

You deserve to be there just as much as most of the prisoners.

... what a genius plan.

Next time there's a gang shooting in a US community, we should remember your ingenious words here today.

We shouldn't investigate, follow the law, and track down the gangsters like we always have... no, we should start grabbing people off the streets in those communities, and torturing them until we find one who happens to know a gangster.

Brilliant!

What are we waiting for? Where do you live? I'll bring a car battery and alligator clips... I'm sure you must have known a criminal at some point in your life.

... you chose?
How about none of the above.

We neither cut peoples heads off, nor torture people to find them... we deal with them as we have always done!

Civilized nations don't torture people to find people.

If you have a problem with living in a Civilized nation, I can suggest plenty of third world countries who torture people... sounds like your utopia.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

I was really trying to bring up the difference between the two but whatever. My point being is what is really torture? So it's not that they do disgusting things to us we we do them right back. It is that they do disgusting things to us and we give them a minor punishment in return. If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to tell you.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
I was really trying to bring up the difference between the two but whatever. My point being is what is really torture? So it's not that they do disgusting things to us we we do them right back. It is that they do disgusting things to us and we give them a minor punishment in return. If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to tell you.

That's the underlying problem though, most of the people who we have aren't the terrorists we want to punish.

Most of these people are being detained because of a high likelihood that they may know a terrorist... whether they realize it or not.

Punishing the guilty party's acquaintances is hardly a basis for selective punishment.

If all of them were psychopaths who lop peoples heads off and blow themselves up, I'd be singing a different tune right now... but they're not.

Most of them are being tortured because they MIGHT know something...
... any country that condones something like that is anything but civilized. I could use much harsher words to tell you what that country is... but I think you get the idea.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Wow, paraphrasing, I would have dunked a terrorist's head 1000 times to save your life! Why are you not gracious?

Snarkiness off.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Disinfo much? You know exactly who is and is not there.. you must of captured.. err kidnapped them all right? Well you must know, because your saying most of them are innocent. So just to get this straight, we go to country's and randomly pull people off the streets to "torture" because they MIGHT know a terrorist? Yes by god your right, every friend I have over there must not care about human rights as all our men and women who are protecting this country are just kidnappers and tortures.. we get off on it! Absolutely none of the tens of thousands of soldiers will go on the news to tell their secret agenda.. oh because the MSM is controlled by the same people.. duh!

We didn't pick these people up because they were shooting at us, sitting on pre-made IED's, making bombs for cells to use, sitting on weapon caches, moving money for them, caught in photos with leaders of cells, in contact with cells etc etc. Can't possibly be that or any other logical reason to pick someone up and detain them. Nope, most of these are just innocent people running around going to the market to buy food for there innocent children and being snatched up by our evil occupation force. And we torture EVERYONE we capture not just a select few you could probably count on one hand. All for what? So we can torture them of course, because were evil and its fun. That would have to be the reason because almost everyone here knows, that any military person knows, torture is NOT effective in getting REAL intel... so were doing it for the FUN!

Get real.. if that is the case then the issue of "torture" should take the back seat for sure. The real issue is we have tens of thousands tight lipped soldiers kidnapping innocents off the street. There not just soldiers from the USA but from the entire collation and none of them will speak out on it! There all in on it, maybe they all enjoy it so much and don't want the fun to end.

Just a few weeks ago my friend came back and was bragging about how many innocents he captured. Oh wait.. he was telling me how they couldn't even attack back when being fired on... because of innocents. But he must not have got the memo that there expendable and that he could capture and torture them. There in your way they must be working for them.. lets get em!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

That's the underlying problem though, most of the people who we have aren't the terrorists we want to punish.

Most of these people are being detained because of a high likelihood that they may know a terrorist... whether they realize it or not.

And you know this, how exactly? You know that the people we have detained aren't actual terrorists? Our forces are so incompetent that they cannot capture actual terrorists and they must resort to taking acquaintances? Do you hear how stupid that sounds?

You made this claim that we don't have actual terrorists in custody and I'm calling you on it - prove it.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
McCain said the same thing. He said that water boarding is torture.
He didn't say 'i believe' ... he said ... 'it is ... ' very strong words.

Both POTUS candidates said waterboarding is torture.

One said it because that's the party line and perhaps because of personal belief.

One said it because he himself was tortured and knows torture when he sees it.

I agree. It's torture.

That being said ... so what? It's torture. The USA tortured bad guys who were trying to destroy our country. Bad guys who were trying to kill us. The USA tortured bad guys who DO NOT RESPECT mercy but see it as a weakness to be exploited ... a reason to attack.

Torture them. I don't care.

Originally posted by johnsky
May I remind you that most of them aren't terrorists?

Says you ... and says left wing bloggers and anti-American websites.

Reality says that when these evil pukes are let free they just end up back on the battle field killing our soldiers and innocent civilians.

[edit on 4/30/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretUsername

I'm basing my below statement on the fact that the all the Conspiracy theories about the big bad USA are untrue. If proven otherwise than the following reply would change.

Wow! I can't believe that the sitting POTUS wouldn't waterboard a terrorist with knowlede of an immenent attact on a major US city. He would assume let innocent US civilians die than waterboard a known terrorist. Unbeliveable.

Maybe in Barack Obama's mind there are no innocent US civilians...after all were just greedy, bitter, selfish, anglo saxxon, slave ownin'(Jerimiah Wright), tea baggin', bible clingin', energy depletin', rednecks. I don't know about the rest of you all here at ATS but last nights "Press Conference" was an eye opener for me.

Third Party....NOW!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I totally agree with a lot of the sentiments here.

We are talking about people that want to kill you. Why? Because they hate you. Because they have a distorted supremacist ideology which views you as inferior and corrupt. Western culture to them is a stain on humanity which needs to be eradicated by any means. That is the ugly nature of Al Qaeda's vision of Jihad, and that is what we're fighting wars against. And sadly they're not going to change their minds because we start being nicer to them.

Waterboarding is meant to be unpleasant. So is sleep deprivation, threatening with dogs, being made to listen to ACDC at loud volumes. Does it count as torture? Well it's relative - compared to a comfy night's sleep in a nice bed, yes. Compared to having your toe-nails ripped out and being whipped with electric cables, or having your head brutally sawn off while you're fully conscious and alert - absolutely not.

It's unpleasant but there is no lasting physical damage or pain, and they get over it. And we get valuable information which saves the lives of our soldiers. Carry on.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Obama made a point about Churchill demanding that German pilots not be tortured for information. Yet at the same time it was Churchill that pushed for a total war policy toward German population centers. So Churchill ok'ed German civilian being bombed while demanding some high road be observed in the handling of German pilots bombing Britain. Yes it is rather ridiculous posturing during wartime. Looking at the whole it sounds like hypocritical pontificating.

Americans became outraged when our pilots were tortured by the North Vietnamese. Yet we were bombing their civilians. All I am saying is that it goes with the turf of war. Hardcore anti war types probably felt like the pilots had it coming. I wonder if Obama would have felt that way?

While Obama certainly loves to pontificate about some moral highroad here with water boarding, he may be demonstrating a sympathy toward the enemy more than a disgust toward the behavior of our intelligence personnel.

Liberals except as a reality that our troops getting captured and executed shouldn't have been over there messing around to begin with. Thinking consistent with this pathology manifests itself in disgust at our intelligence people over water boarding. Such thinking manifests itself as well in a disregard for the massive tax burden laid on the backs of our children, members of his cabinet and supporters jilting veterans, calling americans cowards, publishing irresponsible domestic watch list, low flying air liners over NY, publicly excepting anti american diatribe from those who curse us, and otherwise speaking and acting in a fashion to instill fear and division in the population.

And all the while putting on the face of someone concerned about an american moral high ground. Thus he is so concerned about water boarding becouse he is concerned more with sympathies toward our enemies. These sympathies are disguised behind high sounding rhetoric like bridge building reaching out, shoring up strained relationships ect.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join