It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the REAL story behind 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'm curious because everyone has their own opinions. Where'd the idea come from? And what do you think, exactly will happen?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If you are not old enough to remember all the dire prophecies and warnings that circulated like a rampant plague of psuedo-facts supposedly divined by a number of credible 'prophets' or 'prophecies' before the turn of the century; allow me to let you in - there was predictions of armageddon, end of days, Y2K, and a variety of other equally threatening and auspicious consequences for a simple revolution of this planet on it's axis.

I believe the orgins for the latest round of dire prophecies stems in large part to the Mesoamerican Long Count Calender as in 2012 a large cycle of counting ends and another begins. However there is no real evidence to suggest the Mayan's predicted the end of the world - or even expected it, at the end of this cycle. The other part of the origin of this 2012 hysteria I believe is simply due to boredom. It is far more entertaining to consider the possibility of the immenient demise of the human race, or other catastrophic consequences, than to anticipate "2012- the year where nothing supernaturally extraordinary occured"

As to what I believe will happen? I believe the same thing will happen that happened in 2000.

Nothing.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Ahh the infamous 2012 topic!

Well this thread should get interesting.

Anyway, 2012 is when "supposedly" the world will end, foretold by the mayans and many prophets since then. It is also the date of the Galactic Alignment, which only happens every 26 thousand years.

The precession of the Equinox during this time will move us from the age of Pisces into the age of Aquarius. I think there will be some sort of change, but on a spiritual and mental level, not catastrophic results as the doom an gloomers predict.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Just blackle the name Vadimir Sitchin, he came up with the whole planet X thing, there are many different starting points though as there are many different theories.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I think they believed that we move into the age of aquarius in 2011/2012 whichever date you like to believe,no predictions about anything.Its all about astrology not astronomy(though the mayans did have a 365 day calendar also called the haab).The mayans were calendar crazy and had many of them,some which told them their role in life..name etc and ones that told them what their daily routine would be.The whole 2012 is a money grabbing scheme for the most part,not to say something catastrophic wont happen in 2012.But the mayans certainly didnt predict anything about it imo.

edited to add i think im wrong about the name part
its late...

[edit on 29-4-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by srsly_you_guys

This web site is absolute bull #.

Censorship is cancer.

Enjoy hyping up Donald Rumsfeld's share of tamiflu dick#s.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
O.k. here's the deal.The Mayans made this calender predicting ends and beginnings. And so far it has been pretty accuret. Well the calender end son the particular date, December 21, 2012. And that is when the world is supposed to end. But there are so many predictions on that and in the 80's 90's there was a whole big thing that the world would end in 2000 but nothing happened. So what do I think will happen, absolutely nothing. and apocolips means new beginning not end.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by atsfanatic2012]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by atsfanatic2012

It doesn't "end" its cyclical.The mayans were a cool bunch,but anyone could observe the sky and given some time and patience understand its movements.People seem to put them on some pedestal higher than ourselves in the knowledge department.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Anyway, 2012 is when "supposedly" the world will end, foretold by the mayans and many prophets since then. It is also the date of the Galactic Alignment, which only happens every 26 thousand years.

~Keeper

If this Alignment happens every 26,000 years and people say because of this happening that the earth will be destroyed or what not, what about the last time the planets came into alignment? Did man kind not arrive on earth until 30,000 years ago?

new topics

top topics

join