It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge ice chunks break away from Antarctic shelf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Huge ice chunks break away from Antarctic shelf

www.google.com

BERLIN (AP) — Massive ice chunks are crumbling away from a shelf in the western Antarctic Peninsula, researchers said Wednesday, warning that 1,300 square miles of ice — an area larger than Rhode Island — was in danger of breaking off in coming weeks.

The Wilkins Ice Shelf had been stable for most of the last century, but began retreating in the 1990s. Researchers believe it was held in place by an ice bridge linking Charcot Island to the Antarctic mainland.

But the 127-square-mile (330-square-kilometer) bridge lost two large chunks last year and then shattered completely on April
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
uk.reuters.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
"Satellite images show that icebergs have begun to calve (break away) from the northern front of the Wilkins Ice Shelf -- indicating that the huge shelf has become unstable," it said in a statement.(ESA)

Hope everyone is ready. I'm hoping for the best but planning for the worst... I have a sick feeling about all that is going on. The flu that hits the young and strong. The uptick in solar min. Magnetic crunch and more.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
You maybe heard of 2012 ?
There is supposed to be a whole lot of crap coming these 3.5 years up to 21.12.2012. and 3.5 years to calm again,
you know, the 7 year tribulation?
The Maya say the passage thru the galactic plane takes 7 years

Funny coincidences !?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Australia is hosting another Martini Party?

I swear between the Australians and the Texans I am surprised there is any ego left for the rest of us.

I will take mine shaken not stirred and top shelf please!

top topics

join